Should I?

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
For some reason I have had the urge to pull the trigger on getting a tattoo? I've wanted one for a while but just could never pull the trigger. Anyone here in the same boat or more importantly anyone here who has one and wishes they didn't?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    You should totally get one!!!

Get one on your arm that says "Go to bed"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    thefixer9 wrote:

This is serious talk you little deliquent. You're too young for this shit. Now do your homework and go to bed.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    just do it man...i was the same way, as a teenager always said i would get a tattoo the moment I turned 18, then it seemed like the trendy thing to do so I didnt. well 30 years old rolled around and I told myself i was getting one. Ended up with a leg sleeve from knee to ankle...go big or go home right? Anyway, I love it but I must warn that it can be addicting. If you have reservations, get something on a part of your body not everyone's going to see. If it turns out you love it, get another...and another. Whatever floats your boat. My only advice is to really think through your idea and ask around for a talented artist. And explain very thoroughly what you want to your artist.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    DS1119 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

This is serious talk you little deliquent. You're too young for this shit. Now do your homework and go to bed.

What? I've got a tattoo on my knuckles that says "Rebels"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Get one.

Yes, addictive.

I got one the second I turned 18...back then it was way more about flash than 'personal artwork'. So, I'm not so keen about having flash, but I got it in the 90s, so it's a little sentimental...chicks back then didn't get tattoos...at least tats that big. I'm getting my next tat as soon as I finish P90x...that's my present to myself for sticking to the program. I'm drawing my idea now, I have a few artists in mind.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Most shops have websites, and the artists have their portfolios online, get a feel of their work. Usually the better artists are in the 'big city', in smaller towns, the artists aren't that great. Figure out what you want to get done, American Classic, Portrait, Black/Grey, Japanese style, etc and search for artists that specialize in that work...you don't want some guy who specializes in American Classic doing a portrait. I was lucky, got a good artist, my tat still looks nice.

Get one to commemorate your father... :)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    get one. i'm in the same boat as you...been on the fence for a long time. not anymore. i'm getting one in a week or two.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    edited March 2012
    go for it! absolutely

i didn't get my fist tattoo until i was nearly 40 and i am addicted
    never too old

the former Mr. StillHere was dead set against it and I heeded his wishes to keep the peace but the minute he was out of the picture, I got mine

don't get me wrong..don't jump to the first idea you get

i had thought about it for years and knew pretty much what i wanted to do

think long and hard and you won't regret it

and like Ms. RKCNDY said.....check out your friends tat artists, check out their portfolios, even go in and watch them work once you've narrowed it down. this is going to be with you the rest of your life....so be sure you're comfortable with your artist and their own personal style :) and then...ENJOY!!

i think you'll fall in love with it and want even more
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    Do it! I'm kind of in the same boat though; I have a ton of ideas, but it's just trusting someone to make it look how I want. There's a lot of really bad looking tats out there.. :?
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I got mine when I was 30 when I was halfway through a year of travelling and self-discovery (or "running away from home" as I also call it) and I love it. I'd been thinking about it for a long time but had never seen a design I liked, so when I finally went to see about it the artist helped me design it.

The most important thing to me is that the image means something to me, it wasn't just some generic tattoo that other people had (it may have been used again since then as he put the design up on his wall but at the time it was an original).

My advice would be to go for it, but only after really thinking about it and only if you're 100% on the image - you can't just wash that shit off!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    DS1119 wrote:
    For some reason I have had the urge to pull the trigger on getting a tattoo? I've wanted one for a while but just could never pull the trigger. Anyone here in the same boat or more importantly anyone here who has one and wishes they didn't?

this isn't the late 90's. so i vote no.

you'll regret it in time.
    www.myspace.com
  • No !
    You may regret the design or location. Right now you are young and impressionable. Things change.
    Inks may have impurities and contaminants.There are possible infection risks.
    Many employers will not hire anybody with visible tattoos.
    If you hope to land a high paying professional career, do not even think about it.
    If you like a design, put it on canvas and frame it. Do not put it on your skin.
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    get a tattoo of a dolphin or a rose on your boob.
    Pontikas wrote:

I agree with the rose one... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Pontikas wrote:

I agree with the rose one... :lol:

me too. the dolphin's pretty skeezy :lol:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Do it. I think you should get a smoking baby tattooed on your ass. :D
    It's going to sound really lame but I've been following this band for about 18 years or so and the "Stickman" image just says it to me. Always loved that graphic. I know it's so played out. Who says it needs to be original right??
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    how many mich ultra's have you had tonight?
    conman wrote:
    how many mich ultra's have you had tonight?

:lol:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Tattoos are stupid.
    Don't do it.
  • As an artist I am addicted to drawing out what I think would be great tatts for myself.. so far only four have made it..This out of HUNDREDS.. then I take them to my Bro in L:aw who does excellent work and he hooks me up with ink.. I was training their dogs for them.. but that's done now.. so I have to find a way to work off the next tatt..this will be tatt five..It's to commemorate my mother..anyhow follow your instincts and if ya DO get one, post pics!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Do it. I think you should get a smoking baby tattooed on your ass. :D
    fact
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Do it if it's something that will mean a lot to you! I'm 19 and have 2 already. Both mean a whole lot to me. Yes, tattoos seem like the 'popular' things, especially with people my age now, but I really did think through getting my tattoos. I never wanted them to be 'cool', I always thought they were beautiful and unique ways of expressing yourself, given that they really do mean something to you. If your head is in the right place, go for it!! I do not see myself ever regretting mine. :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I persoannly can't stand them, but it's your body and your decision.
  • MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    Id say definatelly!!! Ive got 3 and thinking about the 4th one at the moment, the only advice Id give is, make sure the tattoo means something special to you, then you know you wont regret it ;) My next one is a PJ one! whooooop!!!! :D
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    samjam wrote:
    Do it if it's something that will mean a lot to you! I'm 19 and have 2 already. Both mean a whole lot to me. Yes, tattoos seem like the 'popular' things, especially with people my age now, but I really did think through getting my tattoos. I never wanted them to be 'cool', I always thought they were beautiful and unique ways of expressing yourself, given that they really do mean something to you. If your head is in the right place, go for it!! I do not see myself ever regretting mine. :)

A 19 year old who loves Pearl jam and tattoos!!! I like you already ;)
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I have 4 (none are very big), got all of them between '94-'98. Of course, they all have sentimental value and there's a story behind every one, but if I had to do it again, I would not have gotten them. I may have gotten one...in a strategic and discrete spot. It's really up to you and how you feel about it. One of my friends has Jack Skeleton and his girlfriend on the inside of each of her wrists--never have I seen more comments on any tattoos in my life! I think one would be okay--don't go crazy with it. ;)
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    MissJam81 wrote:
    Id say definatelly!!! Ive got 3 and thinking about the 4th one at the moment, the only advice Id give is, make sure the tattoo means something special to you, then you know you wont regret it ;) My next one is a PJ one! whooooop!!!! :D
    good advice on the special meaning aspect, and your avatar kicks ass.