Options

Willie Nelson

bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
edited May 2013 in Other Music
I know country music isn't generally well liked in this community, but I've been on a big Willie kick lately. Any other fans? Red Headed Stranger and Shotgun Willie may be two of the greatest albums ever (in any genre)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    I love "real" country music and Willie especially! I recently found this album "who'll buy my memories" that's just Willie solo and it's incredible. I think he sold it on TV to raise funds after his IRS bust. :D
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Willie Nelson is good shit.. How can you not like him.. I'm an old country fan, Hank, Willie, Johnny, Waylan, George Jones etc... I Don't listen to new country, just that old country drinking music.. Rock n' Roll first though...
    He did a cover of "The Scientist" by Coldplay and it's badass... his "Spirit" album is good as well
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    count me IN on this. seen him a few times. dude is living legend status. a national hero

countryman cd is sooo awesome
    1. Do You Mind Too Much If I Don't Understand
    2. How Long Is Forever
    3. I'm A Worried Man (featuring Toots Hibbert)
    4. The Harder They Come
    5. Something To Think About
    6. Sitting In Limbo
    7. Darkness On The Face Of The Earth
    8. One In A Row
    9. I've Just Destroyed The World
    10. You Left A Long, Long Time Ago
    11. I Guess I've Come To Live Here
    12. Undo The Right

also
    Willie Nelson - Still Is Still Moving To Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMzawU5t-g&ob=av2e
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUILi39dvSE

Willie Nelson - Always On My Mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7f189Z0v0Y&ob=av2n

concert regret was missing the highwaymen when they blew into town...not sure what my excuse was but looking back whatever it was, was a mistake

and of course this story cracks me up
    http://www.pugbus.net/artman/publish/04 ... llie.shtml
    http://www.celebstoner.com/2006111215/n ... stash.html
  • Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Always On My Mind is such a beautiful little song. My dad used to sing Willie songs to me and my sisters when we were kids. He's a likeable artist. As stated above, I also dig the old true country genre.

I just preordered the Jack Johnson - Best of Kokua Festival lp and one of the tracks is Willie singing Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain with Jack Johnson & Ben Harper. (The album features Eddie as well, by the way).
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love country music old and new

but Willie and Cash really send me ... the way they work a song without effort
    make it beautiful, moving, make ya smile too

and they are just great people too, real people, like people you can wrap yourself
    around and feel :D
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    bennett13 wrote:
    I know country music isn't generally well liked in this community, but I've been on a big Willie kick lately. Any other fans? Red Headed Stranger and Shotgun Willie may be two of the greatest albums ever (in any genre)

Real country rules. Pop charts country blows.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Good ol' Willie.

I'm partial the album Songbird, but I think it's due to the presence of Ryan Adams & The Cardinals as performers, and Ryan as producer.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Willie showed up at a motel lounge in las vegas, where I was watching a band I knew from Colorado. This was in the early 80s. Willie knew the band as well and sat in with them. This was obviously pre-cell phone but you couldn't believe how fast that place filled up :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    In the mid-80s, our parents dragged me & my brother to Radio City to see Willie Nelson and Family. It was a great show and I've been a fan ever since. I've also gotten into other country music such as Waylon Jennings (once saw Waylon & Willie together in Stamford, CT), George Jones (saw him at Tramps in NYC in 1992), Merle Haggard (saw him at the Grizzly Rose outside Denver in 1998), Tammy Wynette, Vern Gosdin, Loretta Lynn (saw her in NYC in 2003 on a bill with The White Stripes), Emmylou Harris (seen her a number of times dating back to 1996), Connie Smith, James Hand (great old school country singer from TX...saw him in Bristol in 2010), Dolly Parton, Johnny Paycheck, Johnny Cash, and other fine artists. I've never met Willie, but my friend Kathy (also a Ten Club member) has and tells me he is very kind with his fans.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Yefa wrote:
    In the mid-80s, our parents dragged me & my brother to Radio City to see Willie Nelson and Family. It was a great show and I've been a fan ever since. I've also gotten into other country music such as Waylon Jennings (once saw Waylon & Willie together in Stamford, CT), George Jones (saw him at Tramps in NYC in 1992), Merle Haggard (saw him at the Grizzly Rose outside Denver in 1998), Tammy Wynette, Vern Gosdin, Loretta Lynn (saw her in NYC in 2003 on a bill with The White Stripes), Emmylou Harris (seen her a number of times dating back to 1996), Connie Smith, James Hand (great old school country singer from TX...saw him in Bristol in 2010), Dolly Parton, Johnny Paycheck, Johnny Cash, and other fine artists. I've never met Willie, but my friend Kathy (also a Ten Club member) has and tells me he is very kind with his fans.

Ok...I'm jealous that you got to see Waylon & Cash.
    The greatest country show that I saw was Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson last year. When I got the ticket, I thought they would do separate sets. Imagine my delightful surprise when they played the whole show TOGETHER, trading off songs. Hearing "Bobby McGee" performed by the man who wrote it brought tears to my eyes.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I love country music old and new

but Willie and Cash really send me ... the way they work a song without effort
    make it beautiful, moving, make ya smile too

and they are just great people too, real people, like people you can wrap yourself
    around and feel :D

If you like Willie & Johnny you should check out the VH1 Storytellers show they did together...they released it on CD
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited March 2012
    bennett13 wrote:
    Yefa wrote:

Ok...I'm jealous that you got to see Waylon & Cash.
    The greatest country show that I saw was Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson last year. When I got the ticket, I thought they would do separate sets. Imagine my delightful surprise when they played the whole show TOGETHER, trading off songs. Hearing "Bobby McGee" performed by the man who wrote it brought tears to my eyes.

I never saw Cash. I'm a fan of his music though. I only saw the artists that I mentioned having seen...just a fan of the others' music. I saw Kris Kristofferson when he played Bridge in 2010. It was cool to finally see him in concert.
    I'll tell the story of how I almost saw Cash as my first concert but failed to do so. It was the Illinois State Fair of 1977. There were 2 concerts that overlapped in the schedule & were in different parts of the fairgrounds so we could only see one show. (I was there with my brother and our parents.) I wanted to see Johnny Cash but my dad vetoed that idea...the whole family saw Glen Campbell. Nothing against Glen Campbell...but he's no Johnny Cash!
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    Look at my avatar ;) . I like alot of country like some of you previously said though the older stuff is definitely the best. Love a little George Strait and Alan Jackson to tho, they are throwbacks and keep it real....
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    love willie.

teatro from 1997 or so is a fantastic later-era release. production by daniel lanois (coming off of working with dylan on time out of mind) and backup vocals by emmylou harris. mmmmmm.

a willie show is like he's playing for your backyard bbq. relaxed, casual, and fun.
  • Options
    bennett13 wrote:
    If you like Willie & Johnny you should check out the VH1 Storytellers show they did together

agreed.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Good ol' Willie.

I'm partial the album Songbird, but I think it's due to the presence of Ryan Adams & The Cardinals as performers, and Ryan as producer.

That is a great album...the title track completely reinvents that old Fleetwood Mac tune
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    love willie.

teatro from 1997 or so is a fantastic later-era release. production by daniel lanois (coming off of working with dylan on time out of mind) and backup vocals by emmylou harris. mmmmmm.

a willie show is like he's playing for your backyard bbq. relaxed, casual, and fun.

I love Teatro...it's got that great haunting instrumental to kick it off before Willie's voice comes in on track 2 with the perfect lyrics to start off that album: "The sun is filled with ice and gives no warmth at all."
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    Willie's cool as shit. I saw him at Roo
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    bennett13 wrote:
    I love Teatro...it's got that great haunting instrumental to kick it off before Willie's voice comes in on track 2 with the perfect lyrics to start off that album: "The sun is filled with ice and gives no warmth at all."

the sky was never blue
    the stars are raindrops searching for a place to fall
    and i never cared for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmdwsLtNx2E (stupid vevo...)

this vid and a few more were released as teatro on vhs, directed by wim wenders- probably a bit pricey for a vhs these days, but worth it if you like the album as much as i do. a fantastic companion to the album.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    bennett13 wrote:

the sky was never blue
    the stars are raindrops searching for a place to fall
    and i never cared for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmdwsLtNx2E (stupid vevo...)

this vid and a few more were released as teatro on vhs, directed by wim wenders- probably a bit pricey for a vhs these days, but worth it if you like the album as much as i do. a fantastic companion to the album.

Damn....maybe they'll release it on DVD or blu-ray someday...I simply can't justify purchasing any VHS in this day and age...the last one I bought was over ten years ago, and it was "Let It Be"...and a bootleg copy too
  • Options
    from Teatro
    Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris - The Maker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aur5KEaNtKc

iloveyoutube
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    I'm not a fan of Willie Nelson's music but I respect his music. I know Willie and his son Lukas recorded a version of Pearl Jam's Just Breathe on their upcoming duets album so that will be interesting to hear.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Happy 80th birthday, Willie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6Sugn4cvY
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    norm wrote:
    Happy 80th birthday, Willie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6Sugn4cvY

Happy Birthday... Wow 80 yrs old !!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    oh thats is wonderful 80!
    He doesn't seem 80 to me ... must be all that good good livin' and music :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Happy Birthday Willie Nelson! Wishing you many more!

I saw Willie and Family at the Dixon County Fair a few years ago- one of the best shows I've ever been to! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bausG809hv0
    Willie Nelson "Just Breathe" Live on SiriusXM's Willie's Roadhouse HD

that song is one of the greatest songs ever written
    and, certainly, that is one of the best compliments pearl jam have ever received(imo)

and...
    willie
    nails
    IT
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Somebody pointed out elsewhere that Willie is not looking so good these days as seen in this recent performance:

Willie is 86 and has had respiratory problems lately.  At 86, living on the road, living the life of a musician, none of this, of course, comes as a shock.  But as I watched this video, it struck me that this great hero of mine is in those last years of life and the thought of not having him around any more one day struck me full force and next thing I know, I'm like that song, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain".

Willie Nelson is one of the most beautiful people on the planet.

Endless love for Willie Nelson.

Thank you, Willie.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Great great guy.  Cool as hell