Alaska girl locked in frigid bedroom dies

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
holy fucking hell
these people live in alaska for fuck's sake

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... mom-on-lam

A 3-year-old girl from America's northernmost community died and her younger sister suffered hypothermia after their mother and her boyfriend locked the girls inside a bedroom with a window open to temperatures of 30 degrees below zero because the girls had wet their beds, authorities said.
The mother, 28-year-old elementary teacher Esther G. Edwards-Gust, was apparently on the lam Saturday, a day after she and her boyfriend, 29-year-old Richard Tilden Jr., were indicted in the child's death. Tilden was in custody.
The couple shared a home with Edwards-Gust's 1- and 3-year-old daughters in the Inupiat Eskimo community of Barrow.
Police say the two girls last month were trapped overnight in their bedroom with a window open to temperatures that dropped to 30 degrees below zero. According to KTUU-TV in Anchorage, both children were diagnosed with extreme hypothermia and flown to an Anchorage hospital, where the 3-year-old died.
Tilden later told authorities he'd been drinking the night before and opened the bedroom window to air out the room because the girls wet their beds, according to court documents. He also said the door's latch was broken, making it impossible for anyone inside the room to open it.
A grand jury on Friday indicted Tilden and Edwards-Gust on charges including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. Tilden also faces second-degree murder and assault charges. He was arrested last month.
A warrant has been issued for Edwards-Gust's arrest. Police didn't immediately return a message Saturday, and a home listing for Barrow's police chief was disconnected. A person who answered the phone at the borough jail said Edwards-Gust was not in custody there.
Tilden called 911 when he discovered the 3-year-old was unresponsive and not breathing Feb. 2.
Officers said Tilden smelled of alcohol when they were at the apartment, court documents said. The news was first reported by the Anchorage Daily News.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    :evil:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    They should punish these people by dropping them off in the artic wilderness, hundreds of miles from anything, with no coats.
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    That's horrible. :evil:
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    I am speechless :evil:
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    parents = no breaks....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    :cry: That is the saddest story I have read this year :evil:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    edited March 2012
    Well, they will get the woman - in Barrow, she can't go far. It's iced in via sea...and should she try to fly out, they would catch her at the airport since everyone knows everyone up there - especially the school teachers.

This was not a 'mistake'...and they won't be able to convince any Alaskan on any jury that it was. I've been to Barrow...and it is f**king COLD up there. No one opens windows in winter in Alaska and leaves them open 'by accident'. Within minutes, mother nature reminds you in a very loud voice to close them. They'd have had to have been *passed out* drunk to not feel the cold in the rest of the house within about 1/2 hr.
    Post edited by PKTrekGirl on
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I know what 30 below feels like - you can't breathe, the inside of your nose freezes, car doors don't shut right because the cold freezes the rubber gaskets and hinges - the cold of it is indescribable if you haven't experienced it. Who the hell leaves anyone exposed to that?! Just unfathomable.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    JaneNY wrote:
    I know what 30 below feels like - you can't breathe, the inside of your nose freezes, car doors don't shut right because the cold freezes the rubber gaskets and hinges - the cold of it is indescribable if you haven't experienced it. Who the hell leaves anyone exposed to that?! Just unfathomable.

no shit
    and they were able to lock them in
    but then could not get back in the room?

evilness by neglect
    just evil
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • -30 is bad. aside from this winter, we usually have SEVERAL days of that temp, and then when you factor in the wind chill, it can get as low as -50 celcius at night.

these people can be called parents in biological terms only.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014