Ibanez Tube Screamer? Or a whisper?

dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey. Have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue thats 6 months old so im still dancing with her trying to figure out how she moves, Now ive been like fucking stocking up on overdrive and distortion pedals because the amp dosent really have a big growl to her. So i have a Big Muff for a while now but thats separet. I tried out the Boss Overdrive/Distortion but it kinda changed the sound of my guitar. Next I got the Blues Driver whice i really like but i dont feel at home yet. So here comes the Ibanez Tube Screamer whice really let me down. It sounds cool along with my amp overdrive but what the fuck. I wanna be able to play clean, hit a pedal and have some decent heavy sounds. I just recently found out about bob keeleys mods foe the tube screamer and blues driver so im really thinking about sending the tube screamer first. I dunno i kinda rambled. Any help?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I have a Fulltone OCD that kicks alot of ass.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think you're looking for a distortion pedal...

But, my Visual Sound Route 808 kicks mega ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I second the OCD. Also look at things like the MXR Distortion III or '78 Distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KunOA87 ... re=related
  • Fulltone OCD is where it's at.... Although amps with a bright cap it sucks with...

You can get a scratch and dent OCD thru fulltone cheaper then most used ones...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Keeley's Tubescreamer Plus Mod is basically the same sound you have now, just a bit clearer overall tone. But the Baked Mod gives the TS-9 some serious balls. Not quite distortion, but close. The Tubescreamer really excels at two things: giving you a nice, mellow overdrive with mid-boost; or pushing a tube amp, on the edge of breakup, over the edge. I tend to use method #2 for mine, but that usually means running your amp pretty hot to begin with. I have both Keeley TS-9s, the Plus and the Baked, and I love them; I'm not a fan of the BD-2, but I know that Keeley customers are fans of his mods. Again, modded pedals are usually the same general thing as the original, just with some improvements. The Baked Mod is a bigger change than other mods, though.

I agree generally with everyone else that you seem to be looking for a distortion sound rather than an overdrive sound. The Blues Driver can get close, but a proper distortion pedal will be much better. I always personally liked the ProCo Rat, but those can be hit-or-miss depending on the model, year, op amp chip, etc. I still need to send mine to Keeley for mods... maybe for my birthday present to myself this year. But as other folks have suggested, the OCD is a great option right out of the box, as is the Zvex Box of Rock. The Marshall Guv'nor (or however you spell the damn thing) also gets good reviews from folks here, although I don't personally care for it.

Although I love the Fender Hot Rod/Blues amps, they do have a serious deficit in the overdrive department. Fortunately, they take pedals extremely well.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • This shit looks nice!

You said you wanted BALLS,
    this is one of the ballsier ones I've heard recently.
    :D:D:D

cream your pants now

Played through a Hot Rod Deluxe
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Hey. Have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue thats 6 months old so im still dancing with her trying to figure out how she moves, Now ive been like fucking stocking up on overdrive and distortion pedals because the amp dosent really have a big growl to her. So i have a Big Muff for a while now but thats separet. I tried out the Boss Overdrive/Distortion but it kinda changed the sound of my guitar. Next I got the Blues Driver whice i really like but i dont feel at home yet. So here comes the Ibanez Tube Screamer whice really let me down. It sounds cool along with my amp overdrive but what the fuck. I wanna be able to play clean, hit a pedal and have some decent heavy sounds. I just recently found out about bob keeleys mods foe the tube screamer and blues driver so im really thinking about sending the tube screamer first. I dunno i kinda rambled. Any help?

you are wasting your time with an overdrive alone if you are looking for a really heavy sound. You will also probably want a distortion pedal although I don't know why.

I get plenty of overdrive on channel 2 of my BDR and I only have the drive at 4 and I have a crappy Boss SD-1 for right now.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    This shit looks nice!

You said you wanted BALLS,
    this is one of the ballsier ones I've heard recently.
    :D:D:D

cream your pants now

Played through a Hot Rod Deluxe

Oh man. The Fat Sandwich just hit my wanted list. I've played around with the Swollen Pickle by Way Huge and am in love with it, too. I've been telling friends that between a Swollen Pickle fuzz, a BlueSky reverb, and my Squier Tele Custom II, I would never need anything else. Looks like I'll be revising that to include the Sandwich now. :)
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H Posts: 2,151
    Boss metal zone. Done!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I had the same issue with my 212 Deville. I have a BD-2, Bigmuff, and a Guv'nor but none of them really came alive till I picked up a MXR MC401 boost/line driver.

I leave the gain at like 25% to 50% with my pedals and use the boost at around 25% to 60% to add some bottom end and overdrive my amp. Sounds pretty good to me now and I'm really happy with it.

And the boost pedal really helps my clean sound as well.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Really, The MXR Boost really helped that much? So do you constently leave the boost on or do you tap it on right after a distortion? How much is the booster?
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Really, The MXR Boost really helped that much? So do you constently leave the boost on or do you tap it on right after a distortion? How much is the booster?

It goes for about $100, I got mine for Xmas last year.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... oost-pedal

Here is a good demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5qjFARZuU

I leave it around the 2dB to 11dB range and it just depends on the pedal I'm using it with. You will have to play with the different pedals in combination with the boost, each one is a little different. I usually leave it on with the Big Muff and BD-2, sometimes with the Guv'nor. I don't like using it with my Metal Muff, its a little too much. It really works well playing clean through your amp and delay. I run the boost just after my wah (not with, doesn't sound that good to me because the my Crybaby has an onboard boost already) and before the rest of my chain. But to try to answer your question, thats up to you and what you like, you got to mess around with it to get an idea of what works for you.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE