Options

Poker fans

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This is either the smartest thing I've ever seen at a poker table or the dumbest...I still can't decide. :?

If the amateur bumps it up he probably pushes Laak out of the hand just because of Laak's position and only has Mercier to deal with with his low pair. Even if he pushed a little too hard and both folded he would have taken the pot and any pot won is a good pot. I still can't figure out what made him lay this down. If you play poker it's freaky. Is he stupid or did he really "feel" something??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiEkikh ... re=related
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LoveBoatCaptainDaveLoveBoatCaptainDave san antonio,tx Posts: 461
    WOW!!! :o:o:o HOW THE HELL DID HE KNOW TO FOLD!!!! like u said either the smartest move ever or the dumbest!!
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014
  • Options
    territamuterritamu Posts: 194
    Holy Crap!! How do you fold pocket aces!?!? :shock: :shock:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

06/26/2011 - EV - Detroit, MI
    09/03 and 09/04/2011 PJ20 - Alpine Valley
    06/20 and 06/21/2012 - PJ - Manchester, UK
    11/13 and 11/16/2012 - EV - Houston, TX and Dallas, TX
    07/29/2013 - PJ - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

11/15/2013 - PJ - Dallas, TX
    11/16/2013 - PJ - Oklahoma City, OK
    10/03/2014 - PJ - St. Louis, MO
    10/08/2014 - PJ - Tulsa, OK
    10/12/2014 - PJ - ACL Festival, Austin, TX
  • Options
    WOW!!! :o:o:o HOW THE HELL DID HE KNOW TO FOLD!!!! like u said either the smartest move ever or the dumbest!!

EXACTLY!!! I mean even if he raises and gets both callers along for the ride to see the flop he may assume one of them hit the king or even a set of kings post flop and proceed from there. Maybe could even mentally justify someone hitting quads just because of the pot size and they called with a low pair but under NO circumstance would you fold AA's before the flop. Makes ZERO sense. :crazy:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Was the guy that folded the guy the annoucers said he said he would fold every hand? Crazy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Was the guy that folded the guy the annoucers said he said he would fold every hand? Crazy

Yes. But it still makes no sense in any format. :?
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i didn't watch the video but folding pocket aces before the flop???

i'm gonna go with dumbest move ever
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    i didn't watch the video but folding pocket aces before the flop???

i'm gonna go with dumbest move ever

You should watch. It's the hand he avoided that makes it that much more amazing.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Dumbiest smartiest decision ever!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

I play a lot of poker and I can't say i would do that or ever done anything like that pre flop. An amazingly wise decision bot that's the game of poker.

I'm hooked on Pokerist...working on becoming a 100 millioniare. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Wow!

I'm constantly burned by pocket A's, but I'd never pre-flop fold them!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Wow!

I'm constantly burned by pocket A's, but I'd never pre-flop fold them!

You're right. AA's are a hand that get burned alot when you lose sight of the situation (I've been guilty many times of that) but yeah preflop...never. Makes zero sense.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    An all in would have forced the other to fold.... winning the pot.

I think being up 148k, nerves getting in the way, on tv, playing with pros, uneasy feeling about the rockets... fold.

That being said i would have never folded... and be broke.

imo i think poker is all about luck anyways..luck was on this guys side that day.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami wrote:

I think being up 148k, nerves getting in the way, on tv, playing with pros, uneasy feeling about the rockets... fold.

imo i think poker is all about luck anyways..luck was on this guys side that day.

Thing is you don't want fold action around the table with the obvious best hand preflop. You DO want action with aa's. Ideally you would like to isolate one opponent however. A sizeable raise in that hand would have forced Laak out and Mercier to call IMO. But yes, you are correct that if aa's make someone that nervous just shove at that point...the math is very much on your side.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    g under p wrote:

I play a lot of poker and I can't say i would do that or ever done anything like that pre flop. An amazingly wise decision bot that's the game of poker.

Peace
    I would have never folded either. I would have made the odds at least 5-1, thus making them both fold. Or Mercier being uber aggressive would have reraised thus making me shove. Either way I'm taking it down preflop. Phil is overrated and imo,Jason's aggression is what makes him good.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    DS1119 wrote:
    Nami wrote:

Thing is you don't want fold action around the table with the obvious best hand preflop. You DO want action with aa's. Ideally you would like to isolate one opponent however. A sizeable raise in that hand would have forced Laak out and Mercier to call IMO. But yes, you are correct that if aa's make someone that nervous just shove at that point...the math is very much on your side.

cant argue with that... i get excited most times knowing i got the nuts and make a stupid move like going all in or over betting. ive been burned plenty of times so winning the pot fast upfront rather than playing it out i take anyday. stupid yes but safe.

to each his/her own i guess.

Im out have a good one DS.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    I would have never folded either. I would have made the odds at least 5-1, thus making them both fold. Or Mercier being uber aggressive would have reraised thus making me shove. Either way I'm taking it down preflop. Phil is overrated and imo,Jason's aggression is what makes him good.

Opinions on Phil are so much all over the board with him. :lol: I think he's one of the most brilliant minds in the game actually. I love how he uses his image to intimidate without seeming intimidating if that makes any sense. His mathematical skills are second to none in the game and combined with his "image" is such a scary opponent. I would LOVE to play with him...while I'm sure I would be slowly laughing away my chip stack to him. At least it would be fun though!! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Nami wrote:

:wave:
    cant argue with that... i get excited most times knowing i got the nuts and make a stupid move like going all in or over betting. ive been burned plenty of times so winning the pot fast upfront rather than playing it out i take anyday. stupid yes but safe.

to each his/her own i guess.

Im out have a good one DS.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Folding AA pre-flop can be rationalized using pot odds. You are really an overwhelming favorite only against another pair. That said I would never fold them pre-flop.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Folding AA pre-flop can be rationalized using pot odds. You are really an overwhelming favorite only against another pair. That said I would never fold them pre-flop.

I'm a little confused. You are a favorite against any other hand on the table unless someone else holds aa's then the flop comes into play based on the suit of your ace vs. that one opponent for a flush. Even if there are eight raisers ahead of me I'm bumping the pot again with a raise holding pocket aa's. It's quite simply the best hand you can have preflop. This video still mystifies me. :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

I'm a little confused. You are a favorite against any other hand on the table unless someone else holds aa's then the flop comes into play based on the suit of your ace vs. that one opponent for a flush. Even if there are eight raisers ahead of me I'm bumping the pot again with a raise holding pocket aa's. It's quite simply the best hand you can have preflop. This video still mystifies me. :lol:
    Yeah, I'm a little confused too. :?
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

If there are 8 raisers in front of you more than likely some one else does have AA also. If 4 others play against the 2 pairs of aces then the aces have become a dog and in most scenarios you are only playing for a split. In some tournament situations you may want to fold just to be sure to advance. If no one else has AA then you are at worst a 3-1 favorite over suited 10-9. I've argued this with friends because I'm the only guy in our group that has ever laid down KK or QQ pre-flop. But I wouldn't lay down the aces unless it meant advancing past the bubble.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Finally watched the video. I don't know what he was thinking.
    #FHP
  • Options
    I can never rationalize layiing down aa's in any circumstance even if it gets you past the bubble. It's simply the best hand in that situation. Honestly I love picking on "bubble players" and they're very easy to spot. Love love love pushing them around. :lol:
  • Options
    Too bad we can't play a game! I'd love to have a PJ fan game!
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i've folded aces many times... not pre-flop though

i guess he had a feeling...its the only thing that can be
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I guess he swore he wasn't playing any more hands that night and he stuck with it. That said, I don't know how you can give up AA pre-flop, especially in that situation.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    mca47 wrote:

We could use those naked lady cards that BlackDiamond's son had! :lol:
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    mca47 wrote:
    pokerstars.net

Yeah its funny money...
    Yeah its silly....

But we could get together, play, and have a little fun.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Are all of the legal poker websites shut-down to U.S. players?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Are all of the legal poker websites shut-down to U.S. players?
    Cant play for real money...

But ya can play for funny money.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....