Which Amp???

spmonkayspmonkay Posts: 27
edited March 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi all, Im looking to purchase a 15Watt all valve amp and am currently looking at either the Marshall Haze 15 or the Fender super champ x2 HD? Any recommendations? Which would get me closest to a PJ sound??

Cheers all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm gonna be a total dick and be the guy who suggests some amps that are not the amps you suggested.

Orange Tiny Terror, or Fender Blues Junior. Nominal mention for the Vox AC15 (classic, not Valve Reactor) and Blackheart BH15.

All four amps have EL-84 tubes. The Orange is the simplest in terms of controls and layout, but it's also the highest-quality construction. You can get the hand-wired collector edition of the AC15, but that one is a bit more expensive. The Blackheart is the cheapest here, pretty simple. The Blues Junior adds on-board reverb. The AC15 has reverb and tremolo, plus the Top Boost channel. All four use master volume layouts (preamp gain and master volume). The Blackheart and Orange give you a 7-watt option in output (pentode vs. triode).

If you look beyond EL-84s, you can give the Fender Princeton Reverb a shot. Same price as the Orange, has reverb and tremolo, and uses 6V6 power tubes and a tube rectifier.

I would personally stay away from the Super Champ XD and Haze 15 because I tend to avoid tube amps with digital effects sections. I'd rather get a straight-forward tube amp and build from there. As for which would get you more of a PJ sound... all of the above can get PJ sounds, depending on the player and era you're trying to get close to. Add a good overdrive and distortion pedals, and you can cover almost all the bases with one of these amps. Personally, I'd buy the Princeton Reverb, or if the budget was less, the Blues Jr.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'm gonna be a total dick and be the guy who suggests some amps that are not the amps you suggested.

Orange Tiny Terror, or Fender Blues Junior. Nominal mention for the Vox AC15 (classic, not Valve Reactor) and Blackheart BH15.

All four amps have EL-84 tubes. The Orange is the simplest in terms of controls and layout, but it's also the highest-quality construction. You can get the hand-wired collector edition of the AC15, but that one is a bit more expensive. The Blackheart is the cheapest here, pretty simple. The Blues Junior adds on-board reverb. The AC15 has reverb and tremolo, plus the Top Boost channel. All four use master volume layouts (preamp gain and master volume). The Blackheart and Orange give you a 7-watt option in output (pentode vs. triode).

If you look beyond EL-84s, you can give the Fender Princeton Reverb a shot. Same price as the Orange, has reverb and tremolo, and uses 6V6 power tubes and a tube rectifier.

I would personally stay away from the Super Champ XD and Haze 15 because I tend to avoid tube amps with digital effects sections. I'd rather get a straight-forward tube amp and build from there. As for which would get you more of a PJ sound... all of the above can get PJ sounds, depending on the player and era you're trying to get close to. Add a good overdrive and distortion pedals, and you can cover almost all the bases with one of these amps. Personally, I'd buy the Princeton Reverb, or if the budget was less, the Blues Jr.

Whoa.
    That Blackheart shit is new to me ... and
    bAAA
    DAASSSS.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Whoa.
    That Blackheart shit is new to me ... and
    bAAA
    DAASSSS.

Yeah, I've seen some online demos where that thing actually sounds really good. Of course, it's a demo, so they're trying to make it sound really good... but at least you know it's possible.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    edited March 2012
    Fender Blues Jr and an overdrive pedal.
    Post edited by RedMosquito22 on
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • My only issue with the Tiny Terror is it gets extremely fizzy. But that's a EL84 amp for you. I've heard them after a mod to help clean that up and they get decent.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Traynor YCV20WR.

Great cleans, great dirt. Just an amazing amp for the cash.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    I'm a Fender guy, so I gotta agree with the Blues Jr. recommendation. I wish I would have done a little more research before buying a Hot Rod Deluxe last year. A bit too much for in house entertainment and I don't have the funds to pick up an attenuator to bring it down a notch.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
    I'm a Fender guy, so I gotta agree with the Blues Jr. recommendation. I wish I would have done a little more research before buying a Hot Rod Deluxe last year. A bit too much for in house entertainment and I don't have the funds to pick up an attenuator to bring it down a notch.

I've seen some attenuators pretty cheap on Ebay. I'm sure you could probably sell you HRD and get a Blues. Jr.. You are right if you are just playing by yourself or recording at home, a blues Jr is a better idea for home use.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341

I've seen some attenuators pretty cheap on Ebay. I'm sure you could probably sell you HRD and get a Blues. Jr.. You are right if you are just playing by yourself or recording at home, a blues Jr is a better idea for home use.

I could, but between work and the kids, I haven't had the time to try yet. Plus, I tend to hold on to stuff...when I start to think which amp I would sell, I can't decide between the HRD or the Peavey Classic 50. Just when I start to like one over the other, I play the other and start to like it again!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?

I could, but between work and the kids, I haven't had the time to try yet. Plus, I tend to hold on to stuff...when I start to think which amp I would sell, I can't decide between the HRD or the Peavey Classic 50. Just when I start to like one over the other, I play the other and start to like it again!

hahahahahahaha I'd get rid of the HRD if I was in that situation and have the classic 50 to rely on for playing louder.

That way it breaks up having 2 Fender amps
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • spmonkayspmonkay Posts: 27
    Thanks for the advice! I managed to pick up a 2nd hand blues jnr for £200. I already had a tube screamer so that's me done!!
    spmonkay wrote:
    Thanks for the advice! I managed to pick up a 2nd hand blues jnr for £200. I already had a tube screamer so that's me done!!

Enjoy the shit out of it brotha. I have the blues deluxe and love it.

give us a photo of your setup when you get a chance!!
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • JH228JH228 Posts: 38
    spmonkay wrote:

Since you're interested in gear (aren't we all)...here is my setup/hyper-hobby: http://www.glacieramps.com/Glacier_Ampl ... /Home.html
  • JH228 wrote:
    spmonkay wrote:

Since you're interested in gear (aren't we all)...here is my setup/hyper-hobby: http://www.glacieramps.com/Glacier_Ampl ... /Home.html

What is the mini head to the right of what appears to be a tweed Mesa in the back?
    And what is underneath that head?

Looks curious, like a Epi Valve Jr. but more-betterer, i reckon.
    >???<
  • JH228JH228 Posts: 38
    These are all amps that I have built. The one you thought was a tweed mesa...is a 65 twin reverb I built and beside it used to be a valve junior until I ripped the guts out and installed a vibro-champ circuit in it's place. It is sitting on a 1x10" cabinet loaded with a Weber 10a125 speaker. I painted the chassis, drilled new holes etc so that's why it doesn't look exactly like the valve junior. I bought a bunch of epi valve juniors when they first came out and turned them into several different 5 watt circuits for fun.
  • JH228 wrote:
    These are all amps that I have built. The one you thought was a tweed mesa...is a 65 twin reverb I built and beside it used to be a valve junior until I ripped the guts out and installed a vibro-champ circuit in it's place. It is sitting on a 1x10" cabinet loaded with a Weber 10a125 speaker. I painted the chassis, drilled new holes etc so that's why it doesn't look exactly like the valve junior. I bought a bunch of epi valve juniors when they first came out and turned them into several different 5 watt circuits for fun.

rock on.
    sounds awesome!
    :D

i liked my valve jr till the tubes crapped out (i think) ... "liked" as in "for the price" ... a little too dark, and the range of sounds eats the fat one, but a good 1 trick pony for the price.
    :D
  • BTW,
    just saw this doing a search and shit:
    Phaez Daisycutter 8 Watt
    man it looks purddy goodeee ...

Older Model?

not sure if this is the 8watt, but dang...

gives me, like, a stiffy