mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i don't know about this
sounds creepy to me
i get maudlin just looking a pictures of pets that have died
don't think i could look at my frozen pet everyday

there is much more to this article it you want to check the site

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46604872/ns ... 1ExZvES0n1

Mike McCullough never intended to start freeze-drying beloved pets for grieving owners. But more than a decade ago, a friend of a friend asked the Fort Loudon, Pa., taxidermist to save his beloved dog from the grave or cremation by preserving the animal instead. McCullough agreed.
Then he talked to a Wall Street Journal reporter about the process. It made the front page. Requests from bereaved owners started rolling in. Today, McCullough's taxidermy shop, Mac's Taxidermy, is one of a handful of places around the country that will preserve not only hunting trophies, but also the hunting dog.
"It's a whole different game for us," McCullough told LiveScience. "You have to be a counselor, you know what I mean? It's tough."
Preserving pets
McCullough and other taxidermists like him use a special process to keep Fido or Fluffy looking lifelike even in death. Traditional taxidermy involves skinning an animal and stretching its hide over a three-dimensional mold. That won't cut it for the family pet, as the animal's features end up looking generic, nothing like the unique creature that owners knew and loved.
Instead, pet preservationists use freeze-dry chambers, which lower air pressure to the point that ice turns directly into gas without going through the liquid phase. Many taxidermists use freeze-dryers to preserve small animals or fish. Taxidermist Cathy Huntley, owner of Freeze Dry By Cathy in Newaygo, Mich., first got her freeze-dryer to preserve flowers before branching into turkey heads and eventually pets.

The freeze-drying technique leaves animals looking much as they did in life, though the process isn't entirely noninvasive: Taxidermists must first remove internal organs and fat, which don't freeze-dry well. Artificial fillers then plump up the dehydrated animals. Even for closed-eye poses — the sort recommended by most taxidermists — false eyes must be inserted in the sockets to prevent a sunken look. For owners who want their pets to look awake, some taxidermists offer custom-made glass eyes, painted from photos of the pet during life.
The process costs hundreds of dollars for even the smallest animals, and thousands for a larger dog, such as a Golden retriever. In part, that's because it takes skill to prepare and pose an animal properly, Huntley told LiveScience. But freeze-drying machines themselves are incredibly expensive, running in the tens of thousands of dollars. The machines also require lots of electricity to run. At several hundred dollars a month in power bills, costs add up quickly. And freeze-drying isn't a fast process: It might take six months to prepare a 10-pound cat, said Anthony Eddy, owner of Anthony Eddy's Wildlife Studio in Slater, Mo. For an 80- or 90-pound dog, freeze-drying might take a year.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I would never freeze dry my pet...blech.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I love my dogs. I dont think I would do this to them. It seems like a shitty thing to do.
  • I would just like to freeze dry my dogs poops! That would make them so much easier to pick up in the garden!!!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Pretty Creepy, but i do want a inflatible moosehead at some point.

inflatible_moose.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Some people are fucked
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I have my dog's ashes.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    I have my dog's ashes.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=184612#p4282919

kidding...i know a few people like that.... but when the cat's time is up...he's getting a proper burial in the back yard.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Freeze-drying, :o
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    I have my dog's ashes.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=184612#p4282919

kidding...i know a few people like that.... but when the cat's time is up...he's getting a proper burial in the back yard.

They also are in a little statue that looks exactly like he did.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DS1119 wrote:
    I have my dog's ashes.

this is what I will choose...

I buried my cat in the backyard at the house I grew up in...there is a nice Colorado Blue Spruce marking the spot.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I couldn't do that personally but I can kinda understand why they do it. I guess people learn to deal with loss in different ways and if this brings them some kind of contentment, who am I to judge? It creeps the hell out of me though. :? :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Loulou wrote:
    I couldn't do that personally but I can kinda understand why they do it. I guess people learn to deal with loss in different ways and if this brings them some kind of contentment, who am I to judge? It creeps the hell out of me though. :? :lol:

I like my dogs as much is the next person, but that is just creepy. Would people freeze dry their spouse if they could?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Oh wow, so totally not for me. My little guy's gonna end up in the backyard with my other little guy. Now I'm getting sad thinking about it...boo!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    edited March 2012
    I can't bring myself to read the whole article. Why can't they donate the money to shelters or spend it on something that would help the living (people or animals)? :(

I know how hard it is to lose a pet, two of my parents' cats (17 and 18 years old) died last year. They were more like friends than pets to me, but I didn't want to buy anything for them when they passed... they were gone, and there was nothing I could have done to help my family at that time.

So what I did was, I got my mom a kitten right before Christmas (a few months after the older cat had passed away). She is a rescue cat. The money I could have spent on something weird like in the article above, went to things that this tiny little living creature needed to survive, like for example medication. It just wouldn't have felt right to spend the money on something else.
    Everyone loves her, and she's not a "new" cat... we'll never forget the first two. But now we can move on, and we get to watch her grow and become a member of our family, just like our other cats were. :)

*edit*
    (Oh, by the way, I don't live with my parents anymore, but I was 9 years old when we got the first cat! :D )
    Post edited by SxDx1982 on
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Loulou wrote:

I like my dogs as much is the next person, but that is just creepy. Would people freeze dry their spouse if they could?
    Ewwwww now THAT'S creepy! :shock:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • I see a lot of taxidemy in Vermont. I never get used to it . Very creepy.It is something Norman Bates would do.
    When my animals die, I chain them to my tractor or ATV and drag them in to the woods. The coyotes take over from there. In about couple weeks there is not a trace. :cry: