The impact of a phone call.

veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I had a couple of phone calls recently, one bearing some bad news and one a bit later with something better. A friend just found out he has cancer which is treatable but only to prolong his life as long as possible. It was such a smack in the face to hear it, I've know him for over 30 years and now his clock is ticking that little bit faster. On the other hand I get a phone call from my area manager to say the company have raised my salary by 3.5% which is great. It just made me think about all the people in the world who are right now answering calls that could change their lives for better or worse. What a significant invention the phone turned out to be.
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dont pick up the phone.
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    Sorry to hear about your friend, but happy on your behalf on your raise.
    Oddly enought as I was reading your post my phone rang, unknown caller. I took the call and a nice woman just told me I was being considered as one of the authors to a new children's book of "religious" shortstories, with one of my fart-whatsamacallits (hard to translate)*. Pretty cool as it will be my first non-academic publishing ever, and it's what I am shooting for in the long run. Also a nice birthday present for me as well.

* generally a fabled creature I created, which flies on farts. Your farts, it's farts everyone's farts.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    Nothing worse than when the phone wakes you up at 3am, that is never a good thing

Sorry to hear about your friend :(
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Very sorry to hear about your friend..
    I got a really bad text yesterday. I never expected to hear about someones death through a text. It made it a bit more shocking because it was so impersonal.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    im so sorry Gary..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    clearly phones should come with a good news/bad news function.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • :lol:

if you made an app for that I bet you be sitting pretty... maybe the appp could start measuring by clicking good or bad news after each caller and by the phone user mark would it good or bad phone call.... the the app can make a determination on the caller when they call again ... do they generally have good or bad news.... just send me a small check on that when youve made your millions and have stolen the fortune of the angry birds dude...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

if you made an app for that I bet you be sitting pretty... maybe the appp could start measuring by clicking good or bad news after each caller and by the phone user mark would it good or bad phone call.... the the app can make a determination on the caller when they call again ... do they generally have good or bad news.... just send me a small check on that when youve made your millions and have stolen the fortune of the angry birds dude...

:lol:

i was thinking more along the lines of the caller punching a button before calling so that there is no guessing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    81 wrote:
    clearly phones should come with a good news/bad news function.

caller id ALMOST works that way ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&