Largest Record Collection in the World

drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
PBS is doing some online documentaries... Here's one about the man with the largest record "Archive" in the world. Good stuff. I think it's a few years old though, I wonder how he feels about the latest resurgence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbEhZwW ... 9qG9MDi6ZL
Tread Lightly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    wow.....

estimated value: $50 million
    asking price: $3 million

thanks for posting that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    That was great, thanks!

I wish that was my grandpa 8-)
  • Yeah I'm actually surprised no one in the music business has bought the collection. $3 million doesn't seem like a lot for something worth $50M, you know, if you are wealthy like that. You would have to hire a team to catalog and move it though. I wonder if Eddie knows about this...
    Tread Lightly.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Loosely related, but thought I'd post it anyway in case any of you didn't see this...

http://pitchfork.com/news/45528-john-peels-record-collection-goes-digital/
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Very cool...I could spend days, hell, months rummaging through his collection...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    who has $3 million i can borrow?
  • Lesson in finance #1: if some one tells you it worth $50mil but they will sell it to you for $3mil and they are still available at that price, then you must assume it isn't even worth $3mil. Worth is only determined by how much cash can you get for it. If he can't get $3 mil than how can it be worth $50 mil?
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I posted about this some months ago.....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=148598&hilit=worlds+largest+record+collection

I'd love to spend some time going whatever i could go through.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Lesson in finance #1: if some one tells you it worth $50mil but they will sell it to you for $3mil and they are still available at that price, then you must assume it isn't even worth $3mil. Worth is only determined by how much cash can you get for it. If he can't get $3 mil than how can it be worth $50 mil?

Lesson in collecting: There is a book value that is used as a guide in order for you to come up with a price to sell at. You never get book value unless something is really pristine and sometimes not even then.
  • drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Lesson in finance #1: if some one tells you it worth $50mil but they will sell it to you for $3mil and they are still available at that price, then you must assume it isn't even worth $3mil. Worth is only determined by how much cash can you get for it. If he can't get $3 mil than how can it be worth $50 mil?

Lesson in collecting: There is a book value that is used as a guide in order for you to come up with a price to sell at. You never get book value unless something is really pristine and sometimes not even then.

It probably isn't worth $50M but I'm sure it's worth more than $3M. I don't think the price is why it hasn't sold. The problem is the incredible amount of time, energy, and manpower it would take to go through all those records and sell them. Plus the large amount of storage space required.
    Tread Lightly.