cold vs flu question

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not used to being sick (like I used to be) with colds or flu. I don't even know when the last time was that I took antibiotics for a respiratory illness, I got over them w/o going to the doctor. I'm home sick and my doctor's office is near where I work. My aunt recently to told me that the doctor gave her a z pk and I did not know what that meant.

I've read how to tell the difference on the internet but some of the articles vary and could be wrong.

If you go to the doctor, can they do a test in ur nose with a Q tip and determine within 30 minutes if you have the flu or not? I read that online...
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Influenza, or "the flu" is a respiratory illness brought on by viral infection. It CANNOT be prevented/cured by treating with a "Z pack" (Azithromycin) which is an antibiotic. If you received an antibiotic to aid your recovery then the doctor is probably concerned with a secondary bacterial infection, or the prevention of one.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Z packs are the best. I seem to get an upper respitory infection every year and the z pack knocks it out.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Z packs are the best. I seem to get an upper respitory infection every year and the z pack knocks it out.

Z pack will nail the pneumonia.etc, but not the Flu itself.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    thanks.

my aunt got sick and she told me she got the z pack the next day. I've read that our society is given antibiotics at inappropriate times, then when you are really sick (say, encephalitis) they might not work on ppl that were overly prescribed antibiotics.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more