House burglarized last week. Anyone experience home burglary

PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I was at work and I came back to find my house had been broken into and burglarized. It looks like the thieves broke into the back door and instantly went for the first room they saw. My brother has been living with me for the last year and they hit up his room first. He had some jewelry taken that was given to him from our grandmother. The only other thing he had in the room was a 5 gallon jug/jar with about 200 bucks of quarters inside. His entire room was torn apart, however, the money and jewelry were the only thing taken.

They went in my room and took my cell phone. I normally always have it with me, but on this day I was in a hurry and left without it. The interesting thing is my room almost appeared untouched. My phone was left on the desk right when you walk in, but everything else looked to be exactly intact. My worries now is having it happen again. I have small dogs but they are not much of a threat since they are kept inside. Funny thing is, I was more concerned about some of my Pearl Jam items that mean a lot to me. Items such as posters that I have got at shows, as well as the guitar picks I have caught. Thankfully none of my items were taken other than the phone. I don't keep any cash in my house, but now I am nervous about having my personal items taken one day. I now wonder what are the best means of security I should take to try and prevent this from happening again. We had a deadbolt, but there is a possibility that it wasn't installed with long screws (thieves got around it by prying the door open). A gun is not going to help much if I am not there when they break in. I want to do everything possible to prevent them from coming in at all. The feeling of being violated and having these lowlifes in my home is just a sick feeling.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Really sorry to hear that. I haven't had to deal with it first hand but happened to be with a friend who was sort of house sitting for a friend of his. We walked in and saw pillows knocked off the couch, we thought the dogs had done it, got to looking around and the whole place was taken apart. Not sure if they took anything.

I think the reason I never had to deal with that when I was growing up because someone was always there at the house, parents, brothers. We rarely ever went out and when we did it wasn't for more than a couple hours.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    Thank you, I appreciate that. I can relate about having someone in the house normally. Usually either myself or my brother is home. I work in the morning, he goes in later in the afternoon. So one of us is normally at home. On this day however, we just both happened to be out that morning. I would just like to have the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about this again. I am going to do everything possible this week to look into new means of security (reinforced locks, doors, fences, alarms, etc)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
    Very sorry to hear about that, PRL1JAM. Yes, that happened to my family when I was a kid- maybe around 11 or 12 years old. I had a few things taken, a cheap watch, some change. The worst of it was the scum bag or bags broke into our garage and stole some of my mothers old family photos. She was devastated. And why anyone would want them is beyond understanding. And yes, the worst-worst of it was that feeling of being violated.

I do wish you well and send my condolences.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

thanks brianlux. That sickens me to hear about your mother's family photos. Like you asked, why would anyone take those? I obviously understand why money, jewelry, electronics, etc are taken, but why take personal items such as family pictures? I am really sorry to hear that. I figure in time I will be able to finally get over all of it. After all, no one was hurt, and other than the two small rings my grandma gave my brother, there wasn't anything else that can't be replaced. Thanks again
  • I had a friend that's house was broken into. All the thieves took was his BEAUTIFUL orange Gretsch and his tube amp. It was still a huge loss!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm sorry this happened :(

why do people steal cell phones? you can have it disabled right? they can never have it activated?

hidden webcams are good at catching people.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    So sorry to hear this.

Noones ever got into our house, but we've had things stolen from outside in the garden. The most expensive being a motorbike. It's a horrible feeling.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Thankfully I haven't had to deal with it myself. Thieves broke into my grandfather's garage once and stole a boat load of power tools and fishing gear. Used his own wheel barrow to get it out of there, too. He had a laugh over that....

Sorry to hear.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Sorry to hear that, at least no one was hurt.

About twenty years ago I had fallen asleep on the couch only to wake up in the middle of the night and see someone headed out the front door with my stereo. They were brazen enough to break in while I was sleeping there. They had apparently been in and out more than once before I awoke. They got my stereo components and my VCR. By the time I realised what was happening they were in their truck and headed out of the parking lot.
    #FHP
  • our cabin has been robbed twice. the first time, they entered through a basement window. the lock is a POS and the little security tabs that are supposed to keep the window from opening more than a few inches just snapped right off. they didn't take anything very far... must've gotten scared because they took the tv out the basement window and left it on the front porch against the screen door. the door swings out.

the 2nd time we weren't so lucky. they took just about everything and broke the glass in a kitchen window to gain access. (after the 1st incident, we put wooden dowels in every window so they can't be pried open). a bird had gotten in, too, and shit alllll over the place!

The glass man and police said we were VERY lucky that nothing was trashed... guess that happens a lot up there. It's weird, they didn't mess anything up! they obviously took items from closets and drawers yet closed the doors when they were done.

You're on the right track by installing a deadbolt properly! the longer the screws, the better! put a metal plate on, too! the police (and everything I read online) said that you want to make it hard for them to get in. the longer it takes them, the more freaked out they get. look into those hotel bar locks as well and walmart sells GE window and door alarms that are very loud.

if you're worried about someone coming during the day, leave a radio on. For night, we bought a fake LCD thing that makes it look like a tv is on inside. it turns on at dusk and turns off either 4 or 7 hours later. http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-496-ftv-10-fake-tv-burglar-deterrent-device.aspx

We also installed a few fake bubble cameras that have a red blinking light, a sign that says 'smile, you are being videotaped' and I made some stickers on clear decal paper that say 'rockwell GPS tracking" and stuck them in the corner of every window and door.

we also bought a trail-game camera.... you might want to go that route. they aren't expensive if you don't need the nighttime infrared. if you can spend the money, there are a bunch of hidden camera's out there.. like a Kleenex box!

I found a large, old trunk at goodwill and screwed it to the floor.. we put the remote controls, a drill, ipod speaker, phone charger, etc. in it and lock it up. That might be an idea for your PJ stuff! we also took a big black plastic storage box and put a rock in it along with the snowmobile helmets and snowshoes. That gets locked up and it's very heavy. If someone does get in, you have to make it hard to get stuff out. we glued the dvd player to the stand it sits on! also installed a security lock on the tv--it mounts with airline cable and one-way screws. i would rather have them break the tv into pieces than get it out of the house!

the most important thing everyone should do is inventory everything you own. write down model and serial numbers and hide a physical copy of this info somewhere or give it to a friend. don't just leave it saved on a computer because if that gets stolen, you're SOL. \email it to someone or yourself so it can be accessed from another computer. Take pictures of everything, too. it's also helpful to either engrave or use a sharpie and write your drivers license number on everything! I got a call just last week from the police.. they busted some kids and were able to close 5 other burglary cases in the county. None of our items were recovered but we didn't have serial numbers to everything... this was almost a year after our place was robbed.

It's a horrible feeling!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    OP, I'm sorry to hear about this. I can't say I've had my home burglarized, but I have had my girlfriend's car get broken into while we were away camping. They destroyed the control area by literally ripping out the stereo. Two years ago, that very same car was stolen from our apartment complex. The police tracked it down the next day on the other side of town, again the stereo missing. These two instances happened in different states. Georgia, and Utah respectively.

It's a very unsettling feeling to be burglarized/robbed. I hope you don't have to endure this again.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    most important thing, CHANGE the locks...burglars will look for extra house keys so they can come back and come thru the door like a normal person, and you won't know.

Kinda odd, you have small dogs and they still came in. Usually, burglars won't bother a house with small dogs because of all the barking.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    wow, thank you to EVERYONE for the positive replies, feedback, and suggestions. I really really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond, it means a lot to me. I also thank you all for the tips and suggestions as far as improving my security measures as well. I am definitely going to use many of them. covered in bliss- GREAT suggestions, and I can't thank you enough for all that you wrote and suggested. You had some great pointers and advice that I am going to use in trying to prevent this from happening again.

thank you guys ;)