Options

OGV Vinyl?

pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
edited February 2012 in Lost Dogs
Now that the vinyl bug has (re)bitten me, I have been seeing the acronym OGV associated with vinyl purchases.
for example...this is from Best Buy:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Ogv) - VINYL
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Goodbye+Yellow+Brick+Road+(Ogv)+-+VINYL/9030443.p?id=1906105&skuId=9030443&st=elton%20john&lp=1&cp=1

Now I know that DIGITAL recordings use OGV as an acronym for the Ogg Vorbis compression format, but as I said, thats in the digital realm.

My only guess is that they have taken the original songs, compressed them in the OGG Vorbis format & then pressed the LP from those compressed files, thus making an originally released 2LP into a 1LP...hence the price. That would suck.

anybody else notice this?
any ideas?
aqo2t.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    one hundred and eighty gram vinyl

you would think something like 180GV would have worked better???
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:

I thought about that, but $12 for a 180g classic double LP?...don't sound right
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    pjradio wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

I thought about that, but $12 for a 180g classic double LP?...don't sound right
    08 May 2010 15:00
    From Amazon:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

I'm writing to follow up on our e-mail conversation.

I've checked with our appropriate department and found that OGV is short for "One hundred and eighty Gram Vinyl."

Our editorial staff is working on building up the amount of information we provide about each item.

this is all i know...i assume its correct (but then again, we all know how to spell 'assume' right?)

but yeah, it does make you wonder right?

i thought originally...some type of compression like w digital...but who knows?

but I believe 180 Gram Vinyl it is :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    yep. 180 gram vinyl.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... 2&start=15

I don't think any sort of digital compression on the source files will allow you to fit more songs onto a vinyl record.

There's only so much space on there to fit the music. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a tiny mp3 or from a huge flac file. They both will be converted to the same size groove.
  • Options
    thanks for the help guys... :thumbup:
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    I don't think any sort of digital compression on the source files will allow you to fit more songs onto a vinyl record.

There's only so much space on there to fit the music. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a tiny mp3 or from a huge flac file. They both will be converted to the same size groove.
    That's right :geek: . Plus, the more the music duration on a vinyl surface, the lesser the quality. When you try to fit more music on a vinyl, the grooves are closer to each other and that's not good. The "nominal" duration for a 33rpm, 12 inch vinyl is 23 minutes, anything more than that is a discount in quality.
    2006/09/30 Athens, 2007/06/12 Muenchen, 2007/06/13 Katowice, 2007/06/18 London, 2009/08/13 Rotterdam, 2009/08/15 Berlin, 2010/06/30 Berlin, 2010/07/10 Lisbon, 2011/09/03 Alpine Valley, 2011/09/04 Alpine Valley, 2012/07/07 Stockholm, 2012/07/08 Oslo, 2012/07/10 Copenhagen, 2014/06/16 Amsterdam, 2014/06/17 Amsterdam, 2018/06/18 London, 2018/07/01 Prague, 2018/07/03 Krakow, 2018/07/05 Berlin...