Phone Scam

stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a friend who is currently on business in Africa.

Today I received a call on my mobile from his number.When I answered it wasn't him on the line.The person claimed to be a African doctor saying my friend had been injured and my number was the only one in his phone when he arrived at the hospital.This I doubt very much.

I could hardly hear this person on the line and it kept cutting off.Since then I have received numerous texts telling me he is dying and requesting 1200 euros to save him.

I have not replied to any of the texts and have now began deleting them without opening them.

He is French by birth but living in Scotland,he has family in France but I have never met them and do not have their details.I only know two people he knows but I do not have any of their current details to contact them to find out if they have heard from him.

I have a standard Nokia not a smart phone,I do occasionally check my emails on my phone but I don't access any sites.I am going to the phone store tomorrow to have my sim card changed.

I have every belief this is a scam although I am equally concerned about my friend as I have no way of contacting him apart from email and I am very reluctant to do that encase a scammer has access to his computer.I don't know what other way to find out if he is ok.

Does anyone know how much of my information,if any,can scammers glean from my mobile,can charges be made to my phone by incoming texts and calls?

I am concerned for my friend but as I am quite sure this is a scam I am also concerned about my privacy.

Any similar experiences and advice would be appreciated.
“There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    odd.
    sounds like maybe your friends phone was stolen.

wish i had more advice i have not heard of that before
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I think I would have to tell someone in authority. Go to the police and see what they say.

And I know if someone called me from Africa, even for 1 minute, it would be a costly mobile phone bill.
  • It's definitely a scam. Your friend's phone was probalby stolen or he lost it and the scammer found it. If he was raelly on the vergoe fo death, what kind of doctor would let him die while waiting for you to send payment for the treatment to save him? Similar scams have gone around via e-mail. If your friend can check hi e-mail on his phone then the scammer definitely has access to that, too. I would be stunned if you're the only person in his phone to have received that call (plus what are the odds that every contact but you was somehow erased from the phone?).
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    People suck, what a terrible thing to do.

I certainly hope your friend is all right, but I do believe they are scamming you. I would absolutely contact authorities.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Yes I was thinking code of ethics no doctor would text the level of information this person did.I am going to change my sim and try to contact others we know to see if they have heard from him

Thanks
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    that's crazy!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    This has to be a scam!

However, I'd worry about what to say when your friend wonders why his life wasn't worth 1,200 to you! ;)
  • Do not fret my good friend! I know you are worried and for less than half the price I can track down your beloved and reduce the hiding of that scammers! I am a deposed Prince from Africa himself, so I know to win! You can please to wire me the money directly.

Your buddy's phone done got stole.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    This has to be a scam!

However, I'd worry about what to say when your friend wonders why his life wasn't worth 1,200 to you! ;)

His friendships priceless :D

I called my network provider.The assistant was very helpful.She said she has dealt with several similar situations.
    She called his phone and there was a message saying it was an unavailable number.She reassured me the scammer wouldn't gain access to any of my privacy,she changed my mobile number,I will be charged for the two return calls I made when trying to work out what was happening but I won't be charged for the calls and text's I received.

She advised me to email my friend to make him aware and ask him to reply with an answer to a question only he would know,like when my birthday is or where we met.

I still feel uneasy in the hope that he is ok but panic calmed :oops:

Thanks to the posters that gave me a giggle too

:)