LAWYERS pls help re: PA SP Criminal Hx Check

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i have a question that i need an immediate answer to
actually a couple of questions
for you LAWYERS out there
i hope you can guide me
rather quickly :)

first question is..for PA Resident application to a PA Nursing Home Facility with a 12 yr ago drug conviction in New Jersey with prison time

1. will it be reflected on PA State Police Criminal History Check? We ran one ourselves and seems the answer is no...
(also statute says that if you have been a resident for 2 + yrs that no FBI cr hx check is necessary..so that leaves out interstate information, possibly)

2. IF the expungement process has been initiated (really, only preliminarily applied to) in NJ..does one have to disclose that particular conviction on a background check application? OR is it necessary to wait until expungment is completed?

3. SOOOO i guess what it gets down to is : What are the penalties for swearing on the application that all offenses are listed to the best of my knowledge..etc...if it is found out later on?

Let me say that the employer is perfectly fine with the offense...its been 12 yrs since the conviction and 10 yrs since paroled (1 more yr parole completed). i know that some offenses are only reported for 7 years but this is considered a felony (marijuana possession w intent) and is reportable without time limitations

job offer has been made
employer said something along the lines of ..... if it is up to me, this will not prohibit employment with us...however, we are bound by certain restrictions according to the law
AND
also said ...i am not telling you to lie on the cr hx app but i am telling you that if you list this on your application for crx background you WILL be disqualified from this position...but i cannot tell you to lie on your application

I just want to say the the Employer is Well Aware of the situation and is the one who made the comments above. Full disclosure has been made to the employer..the concern is with the background check

This job is really needed

what to do??????

thanks for any info you can give us :)
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    definitely not a lawyer
    but
    i do know some things
    do NOT disclose
    especially after 12 years?
    deny
    deny
    deny
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    holy hell!

MJ possession in NJ=FELONY?!?!?

MJ possession in WA='lowest priority'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    RKCNDY wrote:
    holy hell!

MJ possession in NJ=FELONY?!?!?

MJ possession in WA='lowest priority'

crazy right?
    in a school zone
    3-5 years :o

but ended up being 1 yr residential rehab
    a little less than 2 yrs STATE prison
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    StillHere wrote:
    i hope you can guide me

first question is..for PA Resident application to a PA Nursing Home Facility with a 12 yr ago drug conviction in New Jersey with prison time

1. will it be reflected on PA State Police Criminal History Check? We ran one ourselves and seems the answer is no...
    (also statute says that if you have been a resident for 2 + yrs that no FBI cr hx check is necessary..so that leaves out interstate information, possibly)

2. IF the expungement process has been initiated (really, only preliminarily applied to) in NJ..does one have to disclose that particular conviction on a background check application? OR is it necessary to wait until expungment is completed?

3. SOOOO i guess what it gets down to is : What are the penalties for swearing on the application that all offenses are listed to the best of my knowledge..etc...if it is found out later on?

Let me say that the employer is perfectly fine with the offense...its been 12 yrs since the conviction and 10 yrs since paroled (1 more yr parole completed). i know that some offenses are only reported for 7 years but this is considered a felony (marijuana possession w intent) and is reportable without time limitations

job offer has been made
    employer said something along the lines of ..... if it is up to me, this will not prohibit employment with us...however, we are bound by certain restrictions according to the law
    AND
    also said ...i am not telling you to lie on the cr hx app but i am telling you that if you list this on your application for crx background you WILL be disqualified from this position...but i cannot tell you to lie on your application

I just want to say the the Employer is Well Aware of the situation and is the one who made the comments above. Full disclosure has been made to the employer..the concern is with the background check

what to do??????

it seems that the statement "we're not telling you to lie" is a statement telling you to lie. At this point what have you got to lose? tell them you dont get it. dont tell , and IF found out you dont get it? fuck it, the employer knows and is cool with it sooooo......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    i hope you can guide me

job offer has been made
    AND

what to do??????

it seems that the statement "we're not telling you to lie" is a statement telling you to lie. At this point what have you got to lose? tell them you dont get it. dont tell , and IF found out you dont get it? fuck it, the employer knows and is cool with it sooooo......

sure seems that way :)
    peace,
    jo

• Possession
    Intent
    Felony conviction
    Prison
    Probation

Sounds like a fun time!!!!!

hehehehe

Yikes!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    edited February 2012
    Possession
    Intent
    Felony conviction
    Prison
    Probation

Sounds like a fun time!!!!!

hehehehe

Yikes!!!!

yep loads of fun

in reality it was REALLY just possession of marijuana (100% the truth...that's IT..no more, no less) and not a huge amount either..but over the "limit"
    it was exacerbated by the fact that the arrest happened in a housing development (FEDERAL PROPERTY)
    AND within a school zone (95% of this particular town is within one school zone or another)
    AND that the Intent of law enforcement was to get to "higher ups" within the tri-county area but that didn't work out for them....so the peons got the hard end of the stick
    OH and Speedy..no probation, just parole ... like that's better, right?

Here....
    Check THIS Out:
    NEW JERSEY
    Distribution (Sale) or Possession With Intent To Distribute (2C:35-5)

Distribution or Possession with Intent To Distribute less than 1 oz. of marijuana in New Jersey is a 4th degree crime punishable by up to 18 months in State Prison and carries with it a fine of up to $10,000.00. If the amount is between 1 oz. and 1 pound it is a 3rd degree crime punishable by up to 5 years in State Prison and a fine of up to $25,000.00. If the amount is greater than 5 pounds and less then 25 pounds it is a 2nd degree crime punishable by between 5 and 10 years in State Prison and a fine of up to $150,000.00. If the amount exceeds 25 pounds it is a 1st degree crime punishable by between 10 and 20 years in State Prison and a fine of up to $300,000.00.

If you are convicted of selling or possessing with intent to distribute marijuana in New Jersey within 1000 feet of school property or on a school bus (N.J.S.A. 2C:35-7) it is a 3rd degree criminal offense punishable by up to 5 years in State Prison and there is a mandatory period of imprisonment unless waived by the Prosecutor and a fine of up to $150,000.00. If the amount is less than 1 oz. of marijuana then the period of imprisonment includes at least 1 year of parole ineligibility. If the amount exceeds 1 oz. then the period of parole ineligibility is at least 3 years.

If you are convicted of selling or possessing with intent to distribute less than 1 oz. of marijuana in New Jersey within 500 feet of a public housing facility, public park, or public building, it is a 3rd degree crime punishable by up to 5 years in State Prison and a $15,000 fine. If the amount is more than 1 ounce it is a 2nd degree crime punishable by between 5 and 10 years in State Prison and a fine of up to $150,000.00.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and all 3 applied :o :shock: :(

interested in moving to this darling little part of the world? ;)
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    "suck my nuts." this should be what every resident of NJ says. then all quit everything, stay home for weeks and get stoned until the government changes things up a bit.

when we the people take back what is ours, then we can move happily forward into (what is known as our) free thinking, free and joyous, free and splendid, free and growing, free and learning..

learning to the point of leading. this country is a joke.

sell bongs legally, pipes, steam rollers, selling triple beam and digital pocket scales. the state collects sales taxes from these items.

i remember headshops disguising bongs as lamps. how does this go down in the tax book?

sold: one blue plastic tube lamp, cigarette rolling papers, digital weight scales, and one spiked twisting grinder... tax collected... $7.27
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    If it was a felony conviction, they will likely find it.
    There is probably a penalty for intentionally lying on an application to a state agency, whether or not you would be prosecuted or fined would depend upon the employer notifying the DA or the police-as a state agency they might be required to do so.
    What is the exact question on the application?
    Get_Right wrote:
    There is probably a penalty for intentionally lying on an application to a state agency, whether or not you would be prosecuted or fined would depend upon the employer notifying the DA or the police-as a state agency they might be required to do so.

the question is have you EVER been convicted of a felony?
    not w/i the last 7 or 10 years, but Ever

i am pointing out that the employer is well aware of the situation regardless of the answer to the question
    it is not the initial employment application
    it is a follow up and a consent for the cr hx check
    peace,
    jo

oh
    and not to seem like a crybaby

but IF you gave up certain names (of friends and acquaintances)...and they more or less confirmed which names that they wanted given up

you would have gotten a slap on the wrist
    like some of the others rounded up at about the same time

but sorry, we don't roll like that :roll:
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

i am pointing out that the employer is well aware of the situation regardless of the answer to the question
    Did you pay to do the search yourself or did you do one of those internet quickies? It might be worth the $$ to find out for certain.

Sounds like it does not matter if the employer knows about it or if you do not disclose it, if it hits, you are cooked. You need to determine if it will show up. If it does, then you don't have to make the choice about lying.
    Get_Right wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

Did you pay to do the search yourself or did you do one of those internet quickies? It might be worth the $$ to find out for certain.

Sounds like it does not matter if the employer knows about it or if you do not disclose it, if it hits, you are cooked. You need to determine if it will show up. If it does, then you don't have to make the choice about lying.

yes, i ran the PA State Police PATCH search..it costs $10 ..showed up NO RECORD (they search PA only)
    its the same one that is to be used by the employer
    they are not supposed to run an interstate FBI check since that is only if you have not been a PA resident for at least 2 years
    BUT the check is outsourced to a private company (supposedly they use PATCH as well) but THIS part is worrisome cuz you never really know what will be done when something is outsourced
    and you're right...if it turns up...the job is toast
    peace,
    jo

• StillHere wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

The sad part here is the patients and the families. A lot of time and money is spent by these families to ensure their loved ones are cared for in a safe environment. IF this facility is choosing to or encouraging applicants to be dishonest on thier applications only the patients will suffer in the end. Family's trust that policies are being followed and they aren't.

Whom ever may end up being a wonderful employee for them but who knows about the next one they hire in this method or the one after them.... These background checks are in place for a reason.

Does it make it ok to be dishonest because of the type of job? Is it ok to be dishonest to pass a background to work with kids?

As a culture we have so little respect for our elderly :cry:
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
    edited February 2012
    bionicamy wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

The sad part here is the patients and the families. A lot of time and money is spent by these families to ensure their loved ones are cared for in a safe environment. IF this facility is choosing to or encouraging applicants to be dishonest on thier applications only the patients will suffer in the end. Family's trust that policies are being followed and they aren't.

Whom ever may end up being a wonderful employee for them but who knows about the next one they hire in this method or the one after them.... These background checks are in place for a reason.

Does it make it ok to be dishonest because of the type of job? Is it ok to be dishonest to pass a background to work with kids?

As a culture we have so little respect for our elderly :cry:

there is NO disrespect here
    it was POT and it was 12 years ago for pete's sake
    i do NOT believe that this should hold anyone back from getting a job in any profession

its not like everyone is sitting round at break time toking on a doobie

what about the employee who keeps a bottle of JD in his or her desk drawer and sneaks a gulp when the boss is not looking? not like we haven't seen that happen a zillion times before..now THAT is disrespectful .. BUT...it's legal, so it's OK? or "not so bad" ??? ok getting off track, apologies

there has been full disclosure to the employer, what else can be done

the criminal history check is mandatory ... but this should keep a responsible adult from working in their chosen field? i think not....marijuana laws need to be repealed...an ounce of pot a decade ago is not indicative of anything relevant now

really
    (hell, i'm pretty near elderly myself)
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    yes, i ran the PA State Police PATCH search..it costs $10 ..showed up NO RECORD (they search PA only)
    they are not supposed to run an interstate FBI check since that is only if you have not been a PA resident for at least 2 years
    BUT the check is outsourced to a private company (supposedly they use PATCH as well) but THIS part is worrisome cuz you never really know what will be done when something is outsourced
    Well if they only search PA, it makes sense that it didn't show up since the conviction was in NJ.
    Sounds like you have a good relationship with the potential employer, can you ask them specifically what search is conducted and if it includes other states?
    Get_Right wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    Well if they only search PA, it makes sense that it didn't show up since the conviction was in NJ.
    Sounds like you have a good relationship with the potential employer, can you ask them specifically what search is conducted and if it includes other states?

done and done
    crossing fingers that the outsourced company follows the direction of the employer
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    done and done
    crossing fingers that the outsourced company follows the direction of the employer
    If its done then you know they wont conduct a search in NJ? Or are you saying the employer tells them to only search PA if you have been a resident for more than two years? You may want to do an NJ search yourself and see if it comes up.

Anyway, good luck!
    Dont waste your energy defending your actions, this country would be in the black and everyone would have proper medical care if they decriminalized pot.
    Get_Right wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    done and done
    If its done then you know they wont conduct a search in NJ? Or are you saying the employer tells them to only search PA if you have been a resident for more than two years? You may want to do an NJ search yourself and see if it comes up.

Anyway, good luck!
    Dont waste your energy defending your actions, this country would be in the black and everyone would have proper medical care if they decriminalized pot.

when i said done and done, i meant that i already ran my own PA St Police check and it was fine
    the employer says that ONLY the PA PATCH history will be run
    but they outsource the check...
    a NJ search is expensive, takes several weeks minimum, requires a new fingerprinting...and I already KNOW its there :(

and THANKS!!! :D
    peace,
    jo

• I don't think I would post a question like this with my picture in the avatar.
    TS96221 wrote:
    I don't think I would post a question like this with my picture in the avatar.

maybe not... :?
    peace,
    jo

• what will they think of next? facial recognition software

http://www.workplacelaw.net/content/29914
    TS96221 wrote:
    what will they think of next? facial recognition software

http://www.workplacelaw.net/content/29914

yep
    peace,
    jo