Glad to see our system works once in awhile

RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-huguely ... 0ZjelnDgh8

Yeardly grew up near Baltimore and several of my students knew her personally. I even had one who played lax at Virginia with her, and that shit messed her up so bad she quit school and came back home to finish up. Of course there's no winning in this but maybe the best anyone can hope for is that our penitentiary system works and actually serves to help this kid. So sad...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    that really is sad, two promising lives wasted
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    26 years not enough.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    pjhawks wrote:
    26 years not enough.
    I suppose that comes with the territory...that's kind of why I'm really hoping the prison system works. Of course you can never replace a person, but it's not like he's going to have a lot to look forward to when it's over. He'll be 50 with no chance at anything, other than to be alive, which is something he sadly took from someone else. If he gets out early that's some bullshit...
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I went to UVa so I followed this case. He seems like such a screwed up entitled jock. Sadly I wish athletes weren't frequently given such a free pass in life...

What a waste. I was afraid his family's $$$$ would get him off.
  • I fail to see how the system worked in this case. Why would the jury recommend only 26 years when he faced up to 60 years maximum. Hopefully the judge ignores their recommendation and throws the book at this murderer, he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I fail to see how the system worked in this case. Why would the jury recommend only 26 years when he faced up to 60 years maximum. Hopefully the judge ignores their recommendation and throws the book at this murderer, he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance.
    taking the emotion out of it (and believe me I would like to use emotion here) there was no indication that this was premeditated. in all likelihood the kid got wasted found his way over at her place and got into a fight. without premeditation and planning 26 is the max he can get. ultimately i think it's fair within the auspices of the law.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    RW81233 wrote:
    I fail to see how the system worked in this case. Why would the jury recommend only 26 years when he faced up to 60 years maximum. Hopefully the judge ignores their recommendation and throws the book at this murderer, he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance.
    taking the emotion out of it (and believe me I would like to use emotion here) there was no indication that this was premeditated. in all likelihood the kid got wasted found his way over at her place and got into a fight. without premeditation and planning 26 is the max he can get. ultimately i think it's fair within the auspices of the law.

I am no attorney, but I saw something on the news about how in Virginia alcohol can be used as some kind of defense, or something that means you get less time if you're drunk and you commit a crime.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    RW81233 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    26 years not enough.
    I suppose that comes with the territory...that's kind of why I'm really hoping the prison system works. Of course you can never replace a person, but it's not like he's going to have a lot to look forward to when it's over. He'll be 50 with no chance at anything, other than to be alive, which is something he sadly took from someone else. If he gets out early that's some bullshit...

I agree with this. 26 years doesn't seem like a lot but what the fuck is this guy going to do when he gets out. A guy pushing 50 with nothing, save some inheritance, I assume. No friends, no shot at a decent job, a murder conviction on his sheet and having spent his entire adult life in prison and away from the real world. Not only does he have that hanging over his head but he will have developed zero social skills needed to function in the real world. That's some hard shit for someone to deal with, rightfully so. I'd kill myself tomorrow if I were him. Not feeling bad for the kid, he deserves everything he got, but 26 years is a lot harder than it sounds for someone like him.