I need to touch it, smell it...

gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Even though there used to be a time when I still bought vinyl (both 7 inches as well as 12 inches), it has been ages since I switched to cds mainly for practical reasons.

Even though I never warmed up to the idea of listening to music using a computer, and was even very hesitant regarding the use of an i-pod at first, I have to admit that my main means of listening to music at this point actually is the i-pod. It is just so damn practical no longer having to haul tons of actual cds around everywhere you go.

Now I notice I am having a bit of a dilemma regarding books. I just like to have those in my hands, to touch and occasionally smell the paper. It feels comforting in some sort of way, much like having vinyl in your hands, or at least some proper cd booklet. Still, lately I find myself considering the idea of trying e-books but, again, am very very reluctant to actually do so.

Thoughts?
"...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• e-books are practical if you travel a lot or a short on space but second hand books from places like amazon are usually much cheaper than buying an e-book and then when you are finished with them you can give them to a charity shop or someone else to read. Its a shame nobody uses the libraries anymore. I prefer the real book but if I did a lot of travelling I would buy an e-book.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Love real books. Wouldn't be the same reading from an ebook.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I worked in a bookstore for almost a decade and slammed the idea of an e-book for the longest time. I even resisted selling e-readers we would sell in the store b/c of what I felt they represented. Then, I was given a $50 iTunes gift card for Christmas and was left wondering what to do with it. I ended up downloading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and actually enjoyed reading it unlike how I thought I would experience it. I still largely prefer a physical book over one that fits on my phone, but I have to say that the convenience of being able to read anywhere has doubled how I much I read and where.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Friends of mine have been trying to persuade me to the e-book side, but I just can't do it. I like turning actual pages. I like going into a bookstore and browsing...picking up books and randomly reading a section. :geek:
    ELITIST FUK
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    i like having the physical copy of something. an album, book, movie i like.. it's nice just having it around.
    i listen to cds, vinyl and mp3 on my phone but having an mp3 file doesn't really feel like i own the song..
  • Thanks for posting everyone.. .

I do like the idea of having something genuine in my hands (no pun intended), authentic artwork, be it a book, cd, dvd or whatever. Having something only in digital form somehow doesn't really cut it for me.

The thing with the i-Pod though, is that it is really comfortable having a zillion albums in digital form on it for reference and (random) listening. I think this would be less of an issue for me regarding books, since I (try to) limit my reading to one book at a time and hence don't carry loads with me everywhere I go.

Still, on the other hand, I do realize that using, for instance, an i-Pad for e-reading offers a lot more opportunities, being able to just think of a title and instantly download it for reading. This is probably the reason I'd give it a try. ..
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I feel the same way - just love browsing a book store ( can be in there for hours )

nothing like a real book to hold, same for for cd's, dvd's etc....

I feel bad for this younger generation of nothing but electronics.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • I was the same way about the ipod... and all other modern technology changes. We didn't get internet until 1997. When CD's came out, I thought it was a waste of money to buy something I already had on vinyl or cassette. I didn't have a cell phone until at least 2000. I also loved browsing for used books.. would spend hours doing it.

With that said, I ADORE my kindle! The absolute best thing about it is that I can make the font bigger so I don't have to wear my reading glasses! I also love the fact that you can download free samples and amazon recommends other titles for you. Downloading takes 10 seconds and the book you want is usually always available. (try finding a used 'Hunger Games' at a bookstore or at the library right now!) Other people's book reviews are very helpful, too. I thought I would miss having real books around but I don't. They are one less thing I have to dust off, much less clutter.

one thing I didn't know... many local libraries have programs you can download so you can check out e-books for free.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I was the same way about the ipod... and all other modern technology changes. We didn't get internet until 1997. When CD's came out, I thought it was a waste of money to buy something I already had on vinyl or cassette. I didn't have a cell phone until at least 2000. I also loved browsing for used books.. would spend hours doing it.

With that said, I ADORE my kindle! The absolute best thing about it is that I can make the font bigger so I don't have to wear my reading glasses! I also love the fact that you can download free samples and amazon recommends other titles for you. Downloading takes 10 seconds and the book you want is usually always available. (try finding a used 'Hunger Games' at a bookstore or at the library right now!) Other people's book reviews are very helpful, too. I thought I would miss having real books around but I don't. They are one less thing I have to dust off, much less clutter.

one thing I didn't know... many local libraries have programs you can download so you can check out e-books for free.

I agree. e-books make life much easier and you save so much space. Also, I don't have to build a bookshelf now so that's a huge plus! I would think that actual books will be going the way of the cd soon. Extinct.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I have an NOOK specifically for traveling, but when I'm home I always go for the real thang. I'm also one of the nerds who swear by the library- LOVE it.

I have an IPOD, but specifically for when I'm traveling/working out/on the job/have class. Too hard to lug around CDs and vinyl.
  • gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    I still largely prefer a physical book over one that fits on my phone, but I have to say that the convenience of being able to read anywhere has doubled how I much I read and where.

This! :D