Boys dying to be thin: the new face of anorexia

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
being excessively thin used to be a gay thing
(this i knew from excessively thin gay friends of mine)
now there are 1 million anorexic/bulimic men/boys in america
so sad

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news ... f-anorexia

Brick, N.J.: Lindsey Avon and her 28-year-old husband Victor have been together for 10 years. But when Victor decided to lose some weight in college, Lindsey had no idea what he was really going through. It wasn’t until Victor checked himself into an inpatient eating disorder treatment center that Lindsey, 29, realized her then-boyfriend was fatally anorexic.
Santa Cruz, Calif.: Nearly all of Avi Sinai’s school friends were girls, who constantly talked about how “fat” they were and how they longed to be thinner. Avi’s mom and his girlfriends’ mothers were shocked that Avi, just 10 at the time, was the one who succumbed to the obsession with being skinny.
Okemos, Mich.: Susan Barry, 60, spends every day wishing she had known more about male anorexia when her son, TJ Warschefsky, was still alive. He died in 2007 at the age of 22 after an eight-year battle with the disease. His heart gave out in the middle of his nightly routine of 1,000 sit-ups. He weighed 78 pounds.
“He didn’t want to be skinny,” Barry said of TJ, who was a star athlete and straight-A student. “He wanted a six pack, he wanted rock hard abs. That’s how it all started.”

TJ Warschefsky is pictured here at the age of 21 before -- and after -- receiving three months of treatment at Rogers Memorial, a non-profit Psychiatric hospital in Wisconsin. His mother, Susan Barry, said her son's perfectionism and desire for control may have made him more vulnerable to the disease that eventually took his life. Warschefsky died of anorexia in 2007 at the age of 22 after an eight-year battle. He was 78 pounds at the time.
CLICK HERE to view a list of resources for individuals coping with an eating disorder.
Their stories may sound rare, but experts say cases like Avi Sinai, Victor Avon and TJ Warschefsky are growing more and more common. Far from the world of beauty magazines, pin-thin celebrities and runway models, anorexia is striking what many consider to be an unlikely group: boys and young men.

“When the majority of people hear the word anorexia, they automatically assume it’s a girls' disease,” said Victor, who works in his family’s construction business and has since recovered. “The reality of anorexia is that it’s a psychological illness that does not discriminate,” he said.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, at least one million males in the United States are battling anorexia or bulimia. Yet due to the shame that often comes with male eating disorders, experts say the statistics are skewed, and many more young men are left unaccounted for.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    gotta fit into those skinny jeans. :roll: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    81 wrote:
    gotta fit into those skinny jeans. :roll: :lol:

:lol:

reminds me of eyed
    i miss him
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    This is alarming and makes me sad. Anorexia is such a sad thing to me.