Night Terrors

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Watched "The Walking Dead" On Demand before bed last night.

Never a good idea on a night when Mr. Unlost is away.

Dreams were haunted by the undead, then... at 4 a.m.... awoke in pure terror when Sweet Pea the coonhound, who was curled up on the pillow next to me, howled in her sleep.

Heart racing, nearly peed myself. Never heard a dog do that before _ sure lots of gentle "woofs" when asleep, and paddling of paws, and sometimes Sailor even wags his tail, but never, ever have I heard one of them howl.

Never got fully back to sleep.

Holy crap.
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Are you sure it wasn't you that howled and 'Sweet Pee' that piddled a little in the bed?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • my pooch makes some absolutely dreadful noises while she sleeps; whimpers, howls, you name it. Sometimes it's funny for a second but I always try and snap her out of her nightmare...do dogs really dream??? :?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

in my opinion, that's NEVER a good idea period.

Stuff like that always haunts my dreams, so I stay away from them

one time when we were down the shore, my niece woke me up - she was around 7 at the time, and she starting laughing hysterical in her sleep. It was so sweet. Just made me smile, not have night terrors.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

in my opinion, that's NEVER a good idea period.

Stuff like that always haunts my dreams, so I stay away from them

one time when we were down the shore, my niece woke me up - she was around 7 at the time, and she starting laughing hysterical in her sleep. It was so sweet. Just made me smile, not have night terrors.

My mother says I used to laugh in my sleep when I was a kid, it completely freaked her out.

:lol::lol::lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I used to share a room with my sister and she said I would whisper in my sleep all night long

I must have been telling secrets in my dreams, otherwise, why wouldn't I just talk in my sleep like normal crazy people :lol:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    do dogs really dream??? :?

Not sure, but I have always been a believer that they do. :think:

For what it's worth:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/can ... dogs-dream
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    As far as doing something in my sleep... I apparently once said this while sleeping when Ms. DC was awake in bed next to me:

"Man... gimme those Doritos!!" :lol::lol:

The only explanation I could come up with was that I was really interested in trying the Cheeseburger flavored Doritos from the vending machine at my work. The next day, because of the event the night before, I went ahead and tried them. They weren't what I was dreaming of... :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • my pooch makes some absolutely dreadful noises while she sleeps; whimpers, howls, you name it. Sometimes it's funny for a second but I always try and snap her out of her nightmare...do dogs really dream??? :?

I'm always torn whether to wake them up or not lol... It sounds like it could be a scary dream, but what if they are having the best dream in the world?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    lol.... love it when my dog is barking in his sleep, paws going crazy, tail waggin. too funny. :lol:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    do dogs really dream??? :?

Not sure, but I have always been a believer that they do. :think:

For what it's worth:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/can ... dogs-dream
    Thanks DC, interesting article. And pretty hilarious about the Doritos :lol:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    funny how i been thinking of putting up a night terrors thread or revive one from yesteryear. turns out unlost starts one on her dog dreaming. not exactly what seems like a night terrors subject or events. i take that back. perhaps the pooch howling in its sleep is a form of puppy night terrors.

i for one used to have night terriers. night terriers are very painful actually. i used to sleep walk, eyes wide open, i could see but was sound asleep and screaming and turning on all the lights in the house.

puppies wagging tails? not really. maybe like a gorilla kicking your ass from inside some trance while tight rope walking as the witch's crystal ball runs away. as you can imagine...

...dogs, all of them. wag
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I've been reading Freud's Dream Psychology and it helped me eliminate some anxiety/night terror dreams that I've been having. I'm pretty sure there really exists (probably in NYC) dog psychologists or dog whisperers that could break down this book for Fido.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I've been having zombie-apocalypse dreams lately...I had one after the watching the Walking Dead and unlost was the leader of the survivors of the zombie apocalypse :? :shock:

then a couple days ago after watching another episode of the Walking Dead and finishing up 11/22/63, i had another weird zombie apocalypse dream...
    what's weird is that i can change my dreams while they're happening, but for some reason (i guess because i'm still dreaming), i make strange changes...with the last dream, i was looking for food and shelter so I changed the dream so that i was suddenly at a Sheetz..versus just getting rid of the zombies all together :?

on a side note, back in college when i lived in a house with about 6-7 friends, i was told that my roommate and i would have full conversations in our sleep...what we said to each other didn't make sense..but it was "conversation-like" :?

yes..i know i'm weird
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Watched "The Walking Dead" On Demand before bed last night.

Dreams were haunted by the undead, then... at 4 a.m.... awoke in pure terror when Sweet Pea the coonhound, who was curled up on the pillow next to me, howled in her sleep.

Heart racing, nearly peed myself. Never heard a dog do that before _ sure lots of gentle "woofs" when asleep, and paddling of paws, and sometimes Sailor even wags his tail, but never, ever have I heard one of them howl.

Holy crap.

Yours is a hound from hell...

Anyway, I want some of your dope... :lol: :P :mrgreen:;)
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• arqarq Posts: 8,009
    afroannnie wrote:
    unlost was the leader of the survivors of the zombie apocalypse :? :shock:

You killed us all!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    arq wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    unlost was the leader of the survivors of the zombie apocalypse :? :shock:

You killed us all!

Luckily, I woke up from this one before I got too far into it... :lol:

just kidding unlost..i'm sure you'd make a great leader! you have the trailer packed with food & supplies, right?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    here was my bad dream when the alarm went off. I was in a store, maybe at the beach since I was wearing shorts. Eddie Vedder and family were in the same store, in line behind me. In my dream, I was worried he could see my cellulite, lol!

here is a doggie movie we watched this weekend (first dog)....watch this and you shouldn't have night terrors.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1400335/
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,804
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,804
    great now i got this static-x song stuck in my head :x :lol:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/Zu0F5K3n/10_ ... rrors.html
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

Holy crap.

Mrs. Dogs, don't you know?

Sweet Pea surely was watching some of that movie too!.....

Poor Sweet Pea had some night terriors herself
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    so much for the night terriers thread.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • my sister used to suffer night terrors. NOt only did we share a bedroom, we shared a bed!!! :o

wasn't fun waking up twice a week to someone screaming at the top of their lungs!!!