At what age did you let your kids..?

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My son is seven and he wants to go over to a friend’s house. I am an acquaintance with the child’s mom, but I really do not know anything else about his family. I am sure that I am probably being overprotective. However, I feel that you cannot be too careful with your children. He has been invited to spend the night, but I have already ruled that out. I am sure it is probably just me being insane, but advice or thoughts would be helpful. Has anyone else faced this issue, what did you do? Also, if you decline, what is a tactful way? I already know I have to give a reason he cannot sleep over?
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I would say that it all depends on how you feel about it, if you are comfortable with it. That is how I approach these situations with my kids. I will make the attempt to get to know the other family first, talk with them, etc. And if I am not ok with it, it doesn't happen.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I live in a small town so if you didn't know anything about the parents you knew someone who did, that made it easier. Could you arrange a play date at a park or something where you could have coffe with the mum and get to know her a little? Could you take him round there and meet and get to know them like that?

If I wasn't sure about my son stopping over at someones house I used to get them to stop at ours instead, then chat to the parent who dropped them off or picked them up.
    I was always amazed at other parents that would just drop their kids off for playdates or parties without at least checking in. Even now, they are older (11, 15, 17) when I take them somewhere, I go to the door so I can meet who they are hanging out with, the parents, and check out the home.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    It's funny that you bring this up because this has been coming up with my son recently as well. I only let him go to the friends houses I know well. Which helps because his circle of friends is not large. 9-10 boys and girls that have been in class together since they were in 4K and out of all them...there is not a family I don't know. We made it a point, us parents, to get to know each other and have playdates. Now, I wouldn't bat an eye if one of these friends would ask to have a playdate. But I would not allow sleep overs yet. I feel at 7 years old that is a little young for sleepovers. IMHO.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Also, if you decline, what is a tactful way? I already know I have to give a reason he cannot sleep over?
    A tactful way? If you're just not comfortable with it yet, then tell them the truth. If they don't understand, then take it as a sign that you're making the right call.

We let my son's friend sleep over a few months ago. I believe he had just turned 8 and my son was just about to turn 8. But we know him and his family pretty well.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was like 7 or 8 the first time i crashed at a friends house.....he lived right behind us tho. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I had sleepovers at my friends house when I was seven. My parents were okay with it! That's up to you whether to send your child over to their friends house. It's good for socialization but again, totally your call.
    81 wrote:
    i was like 7 or 8 the first time i crashed at a friends house.....he lived right behind us tho. :lol:

did they know you were there? how long did you stay? couple of years I'm guessing
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

did they know you were there? how long did you stay? couple of years I'm guessing

two weeks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Dont know the parents too well???? I would pass..theres sick people out there.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394 wrote:

Good idea. I guess I should add that his mom is a teacher, but that does not always mean much anymore (I know there has just recently been some really disturbing things happen in CA with a couple of teachers). I am acquainted with her b/c I sub at that school (hopping to get a job there), but I have no clue about his father or sibling.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Wma31394 wrote:

Good idea. I guess I should add that his mom is a teacher, but that does not always mean much anymore (I know there has just recently been some really disturbing things happen in CA with a couple of teachers). I am acquainted with her b/c I sub at that school (hopping to get a job there), but I have no clue about his father or sibling.

well, you "know where she works" I think that's pretty solid.

I was in pre-school when I stayed the night at my friend's house...my mother worked with her dad...for the school district.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I haven't been a parent for that long, but I figured out that the best thing to do is to follow my instincts.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16