Too soon?

JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Will this get locked?

When is it too soon to make jokes about death, natural disasters, etc? Obviously, the people closely associated with death or incident will never accept a joke about the situation. Death sucks. I've lost both of my parents but I can joke about cancer and heart attacks. I can differeniate between the joke and the death. I guess not everyone can or doesn't want to.

I know some comedians take heat for making jokes about these things, Gilbert Gottfried with the tsunami, Jeffery Ross about everything and even Family Guy with the 9/11 references. I personally enjoy these comedians.

I bring this up because last night on Twitter Kenny Powers Retweeted another twitter handle that congratulated Whitney Houston for being 10 days sober. I feel sorry that Whitney is dead but I found that joke funny. I believe the tweet and twitter handle have been pulled. I've done searches and can't find them. Could the offended people just ignore the joke? I don't know. I guess there is a thing line between right and wrong.
Alright, alright, alright!
Tom O.
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
-The Writer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm usually a little early...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I'm usually a little early...

thats what she said...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    d'oh
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I just laughed....and have already thought I'll be telling my bf that one in the morning. :lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I'm usually a little early...

thats what she said...

:D
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Will this get locked?

When is it too soon to make jokes about death, natural disasters, etc? Obviously, the people closely associated with death or incident will never accept a joke about the situation. Death sucks. I've lost both of my parents but I can joke about cancer and heart attacks. I can differeniate between the joke and the death. I guess not everyone can or doesn't want to.

I know some comedians take heat for making jokes about these things, Gilbert Gottfried with the tsunami, Jeffery Ross about everything and even Family Guy with the 9/11 references. I personally enjoy these comedians.

I bring this up because last night on Twitter Kenny Powers Retweeted another twitter handle that congratulated Whitney Houston for being 10 days sober. I feel sorry that Whitney is dead but I found that joke funny. I believe the tweet and twitter handle have been pulled. I've done searches and can't find them. Could the offended people just ignore the joke? I don't know. I guess there is a thing line between right and wrong.

It is kinda funny, but someone is bound to be offended. More likely, they wont be offended, but rather they are just looking for something to bitch about. Unless they know Whitney personally, I suppose
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I was at a bar that Saturday night in CA where they announced 'Free Whitney Shots' -- a little alcohol and lots of coke.
    Place went crazy but a few people boo'd. I laugh at this stuff but I know that I have a sick sense of humor.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I was at a bar that Saturday night in CA where they announced 'Free Whitney Shots' -- a little alcohol and lots of coke.
    Place went crazy but a few people boo'd. I laugh at this stuff but I know that I have a sick sense of humor.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I think it really depends on who you are sharing it with. There's not going to be a universal opinion on this and you're inevitably going to offend someone if you say something in a public forum and you can't get mad at them for getting offended, they are entitled to how they feel.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    comedy = tragedy + time

how much time really depends on one's audience...in the case in the op i'd say the audience would laugh since if you're following him on twitter you know and like his humor so you know he will cross the line or at least walk it like a tightrope
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    I was at a bar that Saturday night in CA where they announced 'Free Whitney Shots' -- a little alcohol and lots of coke.

:lol:

And the 10 days sober thing is hilarous too...

But I have a terrible sense of humor i guess (or at least so I've been told)...

There's always someone who's going to take offense, but at the same time - you need to be aware of who you're making the joke too...

For example I wouldn't make either of those jokes around someone who actually sat through that 3 hour funeral on Saturday, I would figure that was enough torture without having to throw salt in the wound... ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • CheeksCheeks Posts: 151
    I wouldn't say I get offended by these kinds of jokes, but I can't say I really get a kick out them. My husband would laugh, and that's fine--to each their own. I would just rather find other things to laugh at. I wouldn't complain about the jokes to anyone, just ignore them. It's not that I knew Whitney—obviously--but to me, she was still someone's daughter, mother and friend.
    BUT, this is all coming from someone who dressed up as Amy Winehouse for a Halloween party and got absolutely wrecked. And I was always a much bigger Amy fan than Whitney. Guess it depends on the situation and what's going on personally at the time. Right now it's a time of year where I'm sensitive about death. If I was August, maybe I'd laugh....