People disgust me.

stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/vic/-/watch/28372723/train-driver-threatened-by-vandals/

Not everyone of course, but a lot of todays society. This article tells of a gang of youths clad in balaclavas spray painting graffiti on a suburban Melbourne train. To do so, they pulled the emergency stop brake in the last car which meant the driver had to get out and see what was going on - why the doors were jammed and the brake had been pulled. When he got to the back of the train he was confronted with said gang of youths happily defacing the train. As he started to approach them they threatened him with a knife, telling him that if he came any closer he would be stabbed. Then they proceeded to finish their 'work', while the driver called the police because the train authorities were completely ignoring his requests for help. The police came, the passengers were let off the train, but of course the offenders were long gone. The driver is now on stress leave from the job because of the constant harassment from scumbags like these - this is not an isolated incident. This particular driver has been spat on, verbally AND physically abused, and threatened on numerous occasions. Always from members of society that have a self righteous attitude that the world owes them something. They deface public and private property without any thought of consequence, because all that will happen is a slap on the wrist because they are 'misunderstood'. This particular train driver will turn 65 in one month. He (and all the other hard working drivers) deserve so much better. How do I know this?

This driver is my Dad.

And when I think of these people, I wonder about the irresponsible morons who have raised them. People who seriously cannot be called parents because they have obviously not shown their children what respect for the law, respect for themselves and respect for their elders looks like. I worry about the society my children are growing up in. When their Grandfather is attacked for just trying to do his job - a public service job. A job that the gives him grief from the passengers who have been made late to their destinations because of moronic public nuisances, yet they blame him for it.

People seriously disgust me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Awefull story my friend..
    It happens here also a lot and worries me too that there are so many people with respect for nothing..
    The law here is very mild for people that do such things and imo they need to punish on a higher level..

I am so sorry for your dad..Please give him a big hug and wishes for the best..

Thanx for sharing..
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    thats just sicking

sending positive vibes to your dad
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Society is going down the toilet.
    I see it everyday.
    More so since starting work in the city.

Btw, I always thought of the Glen Waverly line as clean and safe.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I see it everyday.

Nowhere in Melbourne is clean and safe anymore.
    I see it everyday.

Nowhere in Melbourne is clean and safe anymore.

I dread catching the train.
    Always witness threatening behaviour.
    And I am on one of the trouble lines, Sydenham line.
    I've been harassed by a drunken junkie before, had to get off and was late to a job interview.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

• Nowhere in Melbourne is clean and safe anymore.

I dread catching the train.
    Always witness threatening behaviour.
    And I am on one of the trouble lines, Sydenham line.
    I've been harassed by a drunken junkie before, had to get off and was late to a job interview.

Yeah, Dad's driven that line plenty too. Metro should take some responsibility for the state of their trains, and for putting security on both the trains AND the stations, and just MAYBE this would deter/prevent some of the behaviour. Probably not though, that would probably just get the security guards put into hospital with the injuries that they would otherwise inflict on the driver.
  • I've always wished for Police or Security on the Sydenham line trains, but that would cost the government too much :roll:
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    man that hits close to home
    did none of the passengers get out and try to help him?
    did everyone sit idly by and let him take this abuse?

people don't disgust me in general

but these guys fit the description

hope dad feels better about things soon
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    probably doing drugs disgusting people never know they are
  • Sorry to hear about that. Here in Philly, we have things called flash mobs where youths text each other to meet up and then go around defacing businesses, attacking people and stealing. The mayor has even called them out. You tube Mayor Nutter's speech about flash mobs. It is enlightening. Then there is a another trend called the "knockout game". You should google that. It makes you sad that people do this and don't understand the ramifications or negative impact they are having.
    Brian A. Clark
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    they know what they do that's why they do it

havoc more than a ruckus filled with hate but having fun
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    wow, i am really sorry to hear about your dad.

society has been in the dumps here in the states for a while, but i am surprised to hear the same about australia. always thought of it being a relatively clean, safe, peaceful place to be.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    What a horrible experience for your father.

It is representative of the lack of parental guidance and structure that what used to be youths doing stupid things is now youths acting out violently and with malice.

It's like they have absolutely no direction in life. They do whatever the fuck they want to with no concern for the consequences.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Sorry this happened to your dad, and that this is obviously a continuing problem.

I am consistently disappointed with society. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Sorry to hear about that. Here in Philly, we have things called flash mobs where youths text each other to meet up and then go around defacing businesses, attacking people and stealing. The mayor has even called them out. You tube Mayor Nutter's speech about flash mobs. It is enlightening. Then there is a another trend called the "knockout game". You should google that. It makes you sad that people do this and don't understand the ramifications or negative impact they are having.

aren't we just a classy bunch? :roll:
    makes me so proud :? :wtf: :lolno:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Sorry man. What a bunch of scumbags.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    So sorry this happened to your dad, have very sad. :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • rival. wrote:
    wow, i am really sorry to hear about your dad.

society has been in the dumps here in the states for a while, but i am surprised to hear the same about australia. always thought of it being a relatively clean, safe, peaceful place to be.

The only city outside of Australia I've ever spent time is Minneapolis - and I'd have to say it was a LOT cleaner, and felt safer than either Melbourne or Sydney - Perth maybe not safer, but still cleaner with regards to graffiti and stuff. Maybe that's because it was nice suburbs in Minneapolis maybe, or maybe it's just indicative of society today - no matter where in the world you are, there are people doing terrible things.

• It's like they have absolutely no direction in life. They do whatever the fuck they want to with no concern for the consequences.

It's that exactly. They have no respect or consideration for others or themselves, and the normal rules of society don't apply to them it seems. I think a part of the problem is bad parenting, but an equally big part of the problem is a lack of consequences from the legal system. We should be harder on people who choose to break the law - the law is the law whether they like it or not. It's not like they are stealing a loaf of bread to feed their families or something - they are causing a public nuisance, AND endangering lives, AND defacing public property, which costs taxpayers millions to fix each year. Graffiti is not an art form when it is done illegally. It shits me beyond belief. I had an argument with people (younger) in one of my art classes - who basically defended people doing this because their 'art is amazing'. It's not art - do it in a legally, in an appropriate place and then it's art. THis is not art, this is pure vandalism, and bad behaviour.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm sorry to hear this. People are doing things without serious ramifications these days and it's getting out of control. All my best to your family.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Graffiti is not an art form when it is done illegally. It shits me beyond belief. I had an argument with people (younger) in one of my art classes - who basically defended people doing this because their 'art is amazing'. It's not art - do it in a legally, in an appropriate place and then it's art. THis is not art, this is pure vandalism, and bad behaviour.

I'm sure a lot of people would argue you on that, though not me. I personally don't see the appeal of graffiti, but a lot of people think it's art. I think even people that defend graffiti would probably condemn this though. When they whipped out the knife they lost their credibility as an "artist" and became straight up hooligans. Even stopping the train was a dick move. I'm sure anybody who thought what they were doing was art would have changed their mind if they'd been on the train and they had been prevented from getting to their destination because somebody decided it was time for an art show.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i am sorry this is happening. wish i could help out.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • so sorryabout your dad.. :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    sorry to hear about your dad stardust.

I have to agree it is a case of bad parenting and poor law enforcement. Thank goodness your father did not lose his life.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    So sorry this happened to your Dad :(
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • I'm happy to hear your father is physically ok after this. Sorry he had to go through it. :(
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    sorry to hear about your dad stardust.

I have to agree it is a case of bad parenting and poor law enforcement. Thank goodness your father did not lose his life.

It terrifies me to think how easily it could've ended up differently. Thank goodness it didn't is all I can say.