Options

To my Greek friends...... :)

Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This past weekend I had the joy of attending a Greek Orthodox wedding. Needless to say, I was left a little dumbfounded! :lol::lol:

So during the ceremony it took me about halfway through to realize that the priest was saying things in both English and in Greek. Is this a normal thing??? I still had a hard time understanding what was being said as it was in a sing/song kind of voice.

Oh, and at the reception, we had like.....4 courses??? I'd never been to a reception that nice, is this normal for a Greek wedding? Oh and the oddest thing, there was a girl there, not sure if she was a family friend, or a member of the family, but she was dressed in white!!! And it was a bit of a flowing dress too. Wearing white to a wedding is frowned upon in Greek culture too yes???

And the dancing......I don't think I'll ever figure out the right foot movements! ha!!

All in all it was a great wedding, and was an interesting glimpse into a different culture!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    You haven't been to a wedding until you have been to a Croatian wedding, we like to party, we know how to party.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    Greeks do it better...period... 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Ive never been to a wedding that had less than 4 courses, Ok... one at the VFW hall with a bunch of Scots. :lol:

Huge sweet tables, champagne all over, open bars... ice sculptures, cigar bars, chocolate stations, mile high cakes.. people dancing on the tables, people throwing money at the bride and groom...sometimes 3-4 entrees not including all the courses that go before main course or after...women drenched in their diamonds, knocking over the chutzpa... just a few fond memories of different weddings. Go to a big fat italian catholic/jewish wedding it will be a night you'll never forget. :lol:
  • Options
    I went to an Italian / Croatian wedding, all the Italians were sitting down the entire evening, none got up to party on the floor.
    Is this normal for Italian weddings?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    So during the ceremony it took me about halfway through to realize that the priest was saying things in both English and in Greek. Is this a normal thing??? I still had a hard time understanding what was being said as it was in a sing/song kind of voice.

Oh, and at the reception, we had like.....4 courses??? I'd never been to a reception that nice, is this normal for a Greek wedding? Oh and the oddest thing, there was a girl there, not sure if she was a family friend, or a member of the family, but she was dressed in white!!! And it was a bit of a flowing dress too. Wearing white to a wedding is frowned upon in Greek culture too yes???

And the dancing......I don't think I'll ever figure out the right foot movements! ha!!

All in all it was a great wedding, and was an interesting glimpse into a different culture!

:D That's the way we sing our hymns, in a sing/song voice. You will usually hear the priest and the chanters but many times you can hear the flock too. Now as far as the language is concerned, no this isn't a normal thing. Our Holly Book is written in the ancient Greek language as well as our hymns. Maybe that's happened because the bride or the groom isn't from Greece? I don't know if that is allowed to happen in such occasions. To tell you the truth, I'm starting to wonder if you attended a Catholic Christian wedding. Anyway, a Greek wedding's reception is most of the times huge and luxurious. So yes, 4 different courses is something usual for us. Maybe, you saw a woman wearing a dress in white tone. But, any woman can wear a white dress that night even if she's just a bride's friend as long as it's not a wedding dress. :) I'm very certain, you had a great time trying to learn the steps. :P Rest assured, the other attendees had the time of their life watching you. :mrgreen::D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I went to an Italian / Croatian wedding, all the Italians were sitting down the entire evening, none got up to party on the floor.
    :lol: Maybe they saw the bill?
  • Options
    :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    :lol:
    ;)

Isnt it customary to "sit" during a wedding if youre protesting a wedding, not happy of the union?
  • Options
    zagizagi Posts: 414

I was once at Croatian-Israeli wedding in Switzerland, and all the Swiss were sitting all the time and left early, Israeli did dance but also went around 1am, and us Croatian were all like wtf? even the sun hasn't come out jet :lol:
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Opa!!

Did they do the dollar dance?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    sounds like a wonderful time

most of the weddings i've been to are good old Irish weddings

which by the end are good old Irish brawls (sad to say)

fun while it lasted and NEVER to be erased from your memory

well...some won't have memories

but mine lives on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206

Hell NO !!!!

the one thing italians will do best is - weddings and death.... its crazy. :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Opa!!

Is that where they pin money to the bride? If so, then yes, they did that, they also pinned money to the groom. (I was there with my awesome fiance Thorns2010.) The bride is Greek, the Groom Australian, maybe that explains the half English/half Greek. And out of everyone, I think they (the Greeks) had the most fun watching my Dad (I'm the Groom's sister) dance with all the Greeks there - I've never seen him dance in my entire life - he was up there almost the whole night! At one point, when they were all dancing in a circle, he had his hand on the Bride's mother's necklace - which was pulling on her neck and shoulder like he was choking her! He was concentrating so hard on his feet that he didn't notice how hard he was pulling on her neck!!!!! :lol::lol: Poor thing, someone had to come along and rescue her - but he kept dancing!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Opa!!

Is that where they pin money to the bride? If so, then yes, they did that, they also pinned money to the groom. (I was there with my awesome fiance Thorns2010.) The bride is Greek, the Groom Australian, maybe that explains the half English/half Greek. And out of everyone, I think they (the Greeks) had the most fun watching my Dad (I'm the Groom's sister) dance with all the Greeks there - I've never seen him dance in my entire life - he was up there almost the whole night! At one point, when they were all dancing in a circle, he had his hand on the Bride's mother's necklace - which was pulling on her neck and shoulder like he was choking her! He was concentrating so hard on his feet that he didn't notice how hard he was pulling on her neck!!!!! :lol::lol: Poor thing, someone had to come along and rescue her - but he kept dancing!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    your brother marrid a Greek grl??? :lol:
    congrats...
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    At one point, when they were all dancing in a circle, he had his hand on the Bride's mother's necklace - which was pulling on her neck and shoulder like he was choking her! He was concentrating so hard on his feet that he didn't notice how hard he was pulling on her neck!!!!! :lol::lol: Poor thing, someone had to come along and rescue her - but he kept dancing!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Congratulations to your brother! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    congrats...

Yes he did! I think he likes the fact that she keeps feeding him! :)
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    StillHere wrote:

most of the weddings i've been to are good old Irish weddings

which by the end are good old Irish brawls (sad to say)

An actual Irish wedding?! It sounds like that really crappy fight in Pride and Glory where Colin Farrell and Ed Norton have a right aul Oirish time of it havin' a few slaps to the Dropkick Murphys :lol:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    congrats...

Yes he did! I think he likes the fact that she keeps feeding him! :)
    and not only that....its those hormones..
  • Options
    zagi wrote:

I was once at Croatian-Israeli wedding in Switzerland, and all the Swiss were sitting all the time and left early, Israeli did dance but also went around 1am, and us Croatian were all like wtf? even the sun hasn't come out jet :lol:

Hi fellow Croat. ;)