Desperate and needing advice from a malpractice Lawer

paysonitespaysonites Posts: 1,150
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello,

We are desperate and are needing the advice of a malpractice lawyer. My wife had a bad back surgery back in April of 2011. An air bubble was left in her back, screws were to long and her nervous system was damaged. Since then her gall bladder got infected and had to be removed. Her back had a major infection. Most recently she had a major heart infection all caused by the back surgery. She originally had two bone fusions done. In Nov. of 2011 she had the infected hardware removed by a different surgeon. Now we just found out that since her heart still has a vegetation/growth in the fourth heart chamber she may not be able to get her back fixed anytime soon. We are willing to take desperate measures and sell our house if we need to just to take the surgeon and another doctor who broke patient confidentiality rights to court. My wife is only 28 years old. We have two kids and our lives have been destroyed by this. We have a lot of faith in this loving community and are pleading for some advice on what to do. If there are any malpractice lawyers on this forum please contact us by P.M. so we can discuss our options. I am unable to work but 15 hours a week so I can take care of my wife who is constantly at a pain level of an 8 and we are devastated by our circumstances. Please help us.

John and Shawna
John and Shawna
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• John,post this in AET forum too and in Moving train as well..
    bump
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    sorry I'm no help, but good luck. bump
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • bump
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    My thoughts are with you!!!!!!!

*bump
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • lawguylawguy Posts: 257
    Steps for finding a medical malpractice attorney:

Google your state's bar association: ie the Illinois Bar Association.

Give them a call, most every bar association has a lawyer referral system and can give you some names and numbers.

Consult with one or two attorneys. This should be free. They will tell you whether or not they think you have a case.

Hire one of the attorneys (assuming they are willing to take the case) on a contingent basis. This means you will pay nothing up front in fees. Howevever, it also means the lawyer will generally take 25%-33% of whatever you recover. If you are awarded $100,000, then $33,000 might go to the lawyer, etc.

Good luck.
  • What state do you live in? Where was the surgery performed?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,831
    lawguy wrote:

Give them a call, most every bar association has a lawyer referral system and can give you some names and numbers.

Consult with one or two attorneys. This should be free. They will tell you whether or not they think you have a case.

Hire one of the attorneys (assuming they are willing to take the case) on a contingent basis. This means you will pay nothing up front in fees. Howevever, it also means the lawyer will generally take 25%-33% of whatever you recover. If you are awarded $100,000, then $33,000 might go to the lawyer, etc.

Good luck.

THIS
    Talk to a real lawyer soon. Medical Malpractice, in most states, has a short statute of limitations. This means your claim can be barred if you wait too long.

Also, read contingency fee agreements carefully, often the attorneys charge for expenses in addition to the flat percentage. Make sure that expenses and administrative charges are included in the %.
    Don't wait.
    You shouldn't have to pay a cent upfront.
  • NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Posts: 2,340
    mookieb10 wrote:
    What state do you live in? Where was the surgery performed?

They're in AZ.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • bump
  • bump
  • bump...
  • paysonitespaysonites Posts: 1,150
    lawguy wrote:

Good luck.

Good morning, I apologize for the delay here I exhausted myself and had to get some rest. We didn't know about this so thank you so much. I'll be making the time on Friday to make the call and hopefully we'll get some good numbers. :)
    John and Shawna
    mookieb10 wrote:
    What state do you live in? Where was the surgery performed?

Good morning,
    We live in AZ.
    The back surgery was done at Phoenix Baptist Hospital.
    John and Shawna
    Get_Right wrote:
    lawguy wrote:

Good luck.

THIS
    Talk to a real lawyer soon. Medical Malpractice, in most states, has a short statute of limitations. This means your claim can be barred if you wait too long.

Also, read contingency fee agreements carefully, often the attorneys charge for expenses in addition to the flat percentage. Make sure that expenses and administrative charges are included in the %.
    Don't wait.
    You shouldn't have to pay a cent upfront.

Thank you. I know the surgeon made Shawna wait a year before he would perform the surgery so at this point it hasn't even been a year since the first. All together she's been suffering for almost 2 1/2 years. The statute of limitations is two years from the surgery date in the state of AZ.
    John and Shawna
    NewJPage wrote:
    sorry I'm no help, but good luck. bump

Thank you
    John and Shawna
    bump

Thank you my friend.
    John and Shawna
    Hello everybody,

Thank you so much for your love and support. I have been wanting to get on here and do some updates but I just haven't had the time. The phones have been ringing off the hook with doctors and case managers. Plus I am trying desperately to get to work. So I'll be checking back here later tonight. It's our son Dorian's birthday today and we haven't even figured it all out yet so it's going to be a long day. Again, Thank you so much I/we wouldn't be able to make it through without the support of everybody here. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

John and Shawna.
    John and Shawna
    paysonites wrote:
    Thank you. I know the surgeon made Shawna wait a year before he would perform the surgery so at this point it hasn't even been a year since the first. All together she's been suffering for almost 2 1/2 years. The statute of limitations is two years from the surgery date in the state of AZ.
    Get a lawyer to confirm the timeline-although you maybe right, make sure!

Good luck.
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    bump
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Carey wrote:
    bump
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Sorry to read about this, Wishing you and your wife all the best...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Carey wrote:
    bump
  • Carey wrote:
    bump
    Get_Right wrote:
    paysonites wrote:
    Get a lawyer to confirm the timeline-although you maybe right, make sure!

Good luck.

Thank you for posting. Shawna's original surgeon made her wait well over a year and months before he would
    even perform the surgery. He for one was really busy. For two he tried other procedures/tests first. So her first back surgery was actually almost one year ago. Hopefully we have plenty of time to figure this out. We are still in need of advice on what we can do. Even if we were to just take him to court ourselves. If there are any surgeons on here. The last thing we would want to do is offend you. We have a few doctors that are friends of ours and they are on our side. What this surgeon did was negligence. He had the MRI's and CT's. It was very clear that the screw's went through my wife's bones and encroached on her nervous system. They were to large and to long. There were two large black masses that we found out later was a major infection.There was an air bubble that was sealed in after the surgery. She couldn't walk and he said you are fine. There is nothing wrong with you. You need to get off of the pain medicine and start physical therapy.

My wife's new surgeon said she would of developed spinal meningitis if he didn't remove the infected hardware immediately. We do have critical documentation. Several other people we know had surgeries and these titanium screws have broken. We are not alone in this. Because of this bad back surgery when everything is said and done she will of made it through three major internal infections and four major surgeries.We just want this all to be over and behind us.We thank you and everybody for the continued support.

John and Shawna

Thank you all for your continued support.
    John and Shawna
    Good morning,

We'll be going in to see Shawna's Cardiologist this Monday the 5th. She'll be getting a ultrasound/echo cardiogram on that day to look at her heart. Her heart rate is still on the high side so we're hoping that things still continue to improve on that end. Shawna's so tired of all of this. We're worried about her hands going numb and the pain levels as well. All I know is the support that has come through this site has been amazing. Her family has been distant. Besides her mom at times they are on the side lines. It seems whenever we're having a tough morning. We come here and somebody has written the right words to make the morning/day a little easier. I don't wish this upon anybody. We do know that if something like this did happen to anyone here that against all odds they would not be alone. This Jamily is one of the most amazing things we've ever experienced. When I/we have been at our lowest points. To know how many people out there have reached out there support lines to let us know that we're not alone.That in the end it will be okay, is so warming. I/we can't express enough how much that has meant to us. Even in this past year we've seen so many doors close but at the same time have seen even more doors open. Thank you for our journey always seems a little lighter.

John and Shawna.
    John and Shawna
  • it really feels that you and Shawna are like family my friend...
    all will be ok....
    it really feels that you and Shawna are like family my friend...
    all will be ok....

We feel the same. Whenever we come on here and we read what is said.
    It gives us strength for the day. Thank you...

Shawna :D
    John and Shawna
  • paysonites wrote:
    i really hope one day i can be a man for the woman ill share my life with,atleast a half good as John...
    this man is an inspiration for me...
    paysonites wrote:
    i really hope one day i can be a man for the woman ill share my life with,atleast a half good as John...
    this man is an inspiration for me...

I'm sure you will be. It's obvious by the way you are on here what kind of person you are.
    When you find the right woman and marry her. She will be as lucky as I am to have John.

John and Shawna
    Have you made any progress with an attorney? You might feel even better if you got that ball rolling.