Seinfeld question

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I guess I could google to find this answer, but I'm sure there are some Seinfeld fans here.

I was listening to the radio and they played a clip from the old movie The Diner. Was Seinfeld based on that?
Their dialogue was so similar to that of Seinfeld's episodes.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    no

seinfeld was based off of jerry seinfeld's standup and larry david neurosis
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    thanks. I can't find any old movies called The Diner anyway. there is one dated 2005.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    thanks. I can't find any old movies called The Diner anyway. there is one dated 2005.

you probably heard a clip from 'diner'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083833/
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    no

That's what made it so great.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    "It was a show about nothing"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    The movie you may be thinking of is called "Diner" , no The in your search. A Barry Levinson movie 1982, supposed to be really good. But I've never heard the Sienfeld reference.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    marcos wrote:
    The movie you may be thinking of is called "Diner" , no The in your search. A Barry Levinson movie 1982, supposed to be really good. But I've never heard the Sienfeld reference.

this is actually a movie i've wanted to see for a long time. just never have for whatever reason
    www.myspace.com
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Thank you, Norm. I think it is "Diner."

I loved Seinfeld :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    interesting article in Vanity Fair about 'Diner'
    What Franklin really meant is that, more than any other production, Diner invented … nothing. Or, to put it in quotes: Levinson invented the concept of “nothing” that was popularized eight years later with the premiere of Seinfeld. In Diner (as well as in Tin Men, his 1987 movie about older diner mavens), Levinson took the stuff that usually fills time between the car chase, the fiery kiss, the dramatic reveal—the seemingly meaningless banter (“Who do you make out to, Sinatra or Mathis?”) tossed about by men over drinks, behind the wheel, in front of a cooling plate of French fries—and made it central.
    During postproduction on Diner, MGM/UA executive David Chasman complained to Levinson about one of its most famous set pieces, when Guttenberg’s Eddie and Reiser’s Modell argue ownership (“You gonna finish that?”) of a roast-beef sandwich. Chasman wanted it cut because it didn’t advance the story. “You don’t understand,” Levinson explained: between the lines about roast beef lies all you need to know about their fear, their competitiveness, their friendship. The roast beef is the story.

“I wanted the piece to be without any flourish, without anything other than basically saying, ‘This is all it was,’ ” Levinson says. “These conversations that can go on endlessly through the night—bets over the stupid fucking things that you can bet on—is it. Without gimmicks: nothing. Without gimmicks. This is it. Period.”
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ner-201203
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    no

Yep. Larry and Jerry were the perfect comedy pair. When Larry left Seinfeld, it was still great, but it really lost something.
    Best TV comedy ever!

Curb is pretty much amazing too! :lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    mca47 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    no

Yep. Larry and Jerry were the perfect comedy pair. When Larry left Seinfeld, it was still great, but it really lost something.
    Best TV comedy ever!

Curb is pretty much amazing too! :lol:
    I agree. It was missing Larry's neurosis. I also agree, definitely the best comedy TV show.

I love Curb so much. I think Curb is what Larry originally wanted for Seinfeld.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful