Nepalese woman burned at the stake

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
holy fucking hell

Nepalese woman accused of witchcraft burned at the stake

http://now.msn.com/now/0219-woman-burne ... craft.aspx

In a glimpse of superstitious hysteria we don't usually see outside of a middle-school reading of "The Crucible," a Nepalese woman was horrifically burned alive after being accused of using evil magical powers. According to CNN, the mother of two was set on fire by family members after one of her shaman condemners claimed that she had cast a spell on a relative. The reactions on Twitter and Facebook haven't been good -- @IXxFEARLESSxXI can't believe this sort of thing still happens in modern times, tweeting, "Its 2012 c'mon people." We'd take comfort in the fact that these witch hunts don't really happen in the USA, even if former Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell might say differently.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    On that page a few people from Nepal have posted, and they say that the story didn't really give the true facts. Supposedly they didn't actually think she was a witch, it was some sort of legal loophole or something to seize her property. I mean, it's pretty screwed up, but I think the story makes this out to be witch hysteria, when in reality the story is about greed.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • isn't the issue really that she was burnt at the stake as opposed to why?
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    isn't the issue really that she was burnt at the stake as opposed to why?

I think both are probably relevant. If I were Nepalese I would probably want people to know that my people weren't all witch-crazy, and point out that there were some greedy assholes behind rather than what the headline leads people to believe, which is that Nepalese people are all backwards and kill people for being witches. People are murdered on account of greed every day, it does truly suck, and this was certainly a horrendous way to do it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"