CHINK in the armor - are you freaking kidding me?

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
don't these guys take classes in class??

ESPN Goes Full Racial Slur on Jeremy Lin

http://hypervocal.com/news/2012/espn-go ... eremy-lin/

First came Fox Sports commentator Jason Whitlock’s tweet about the size of Jeremy Lin’s pecker. Then came all the race-baiting idiots on Facebook champing at the bit to talk about what really matters in all this Linsanity: his taste for fried rice, whether or not Asians can drive a car, whether or not Asians can play basketball, his skill at math, and whether Jeremy Lin can pronounce the letter L. Classy.

Now, in the wake of the New York Knicks’ first loss of the Lin Dynasty, a disappointing 89-85 defeat to the lowly New Orleans Hornets in which Lin turned the ball over 9 times, ESPN has decided to beat them all and post the single worst possible headline it could have posted: “Chink in the Armor.”

jason whitlock tweeted
"some lucky lady in nyc is going to feel a couple of inches of pain tonight"
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I was just discussing this with my friend and we think that the dude who did it actually thought he would get away with it.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Whitlock is the biggest tool in sports.

The fact that these people have to focus on the fact that Lin is Asian and not that he's just a good basketball player baffles me.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Whitlock is the biggest tool in sports.
    The fact that these people have to focus on the fact that Lin is Asian and not that he's just a good basketball player baffles me.

Same here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • unbelievable. there should be multiple firings over this. disgusting. the article goes on to state that Lin's handle on some site (twitter maybe?) has the word "chink" in it as well, but they go on to say that doesn't exonerate ESPN's idiocy. I agree.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    unbelievable. there should be multiple firings over this. disgusting. the article goes on to state that Lin's handle on some site (twitter maybe?) has the word "chink" in it as well, but they go on to say that doesn't exonerate ESPN's idiocy. I agree.
    yeah, it says it was his handle 8 years ago. Y'know, when he was a teenage idiot.

Well, a teenage idiot that was on his way to Harvard, but whatever. All teenagers are idiots, even the really smart ones.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    jason whitlock tweeted
    "some lucky lady in nyc is going to feel a couple of inches of pain tonight"

Someone should remind Whitlock that before he goes off insulting others "junk", that it's likely been years since he's even seen his underneath his enormous belly.

This is the same guy who wrote an op-ed stating that if Erin Andrews weren't white, she would not have received the attention and sympathy that she did when her privacy was violated a couple years ago. This guy is the newspaper version of a "shock-jock". He says whatever outlandish shit he can think of in order to get attention because otherwise he would get no attention at all.

As for ESPN...I'm guessing (hoping) there will be a few job openings for their web department on Monday.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Would the use of the phrase chink in the armour be a story if it was written about anybody else?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I would assume any athlete of Asian decent would create the same stir. Would the writer have used "chink in the armour" if it was Kobe?
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Assholes, but not surprising at all. Amy is making an appearance tonight on SNL so I hear it would be awesome if her and Seth actually did the REALLY?!?! segment about this.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This guy is the newspaper version of a "shock-jock". He says whatever outlandish shit he can think of in order to get attention because otherwise he would get no attention at all.

And yet sadly, he's getting it. People like that, that have no shame, don't care that most people are talking shit, just that people are talking. In the wake of no Linsanity to talk about today, he is the biggest headline in the NBA. And I bet he's loving it.

I'm in no way defending Whitlock with what I'm about to say, but I think I kind of see where his head is at when he made this racial statement. Albeit not a smart thing to do, I think I know HIS rationale. I saw a video not that long ago, you can probably look it up and find it, but I'm too lazy. But he was talking to Tucker Carlson in the wake of the Don Imus scandal, and his position was that it didn't matter. Don Imus didn't set his race back, the guy said something dumb and apologized, and there really shouldn't be any racial fallout over it. In fact he attacked Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for setting black people back farther than what Imus said. When he made these Asian comments, I think he was probably not taking into account that not everybody is as lenient about such things as he is, he himself wasn't offended by Don Imus making comments about black people, so he probably felt there was no real harm in what he was saying. He knew it was going to be controversial I'm sure, in fact he was probably counting on it, but I think he has sort of a mind-set of not getting caught up in what other races say about your own. It was INCREDIBLY stupid, and it's not his duty to decide who should or shouldn't be offended by what, but I think I understand why (without condoning what he did) he would think what he was about to say was reasonable. It should be common sense though that just because you aren't offended by a racial statement, that not everybody is OK with it. That it's not OK to do

Having said all of that, it is also the job of the editorial staff to keep somebody like Whitlock from putting stuff like this out there. Whatever Jason Whitlock feels is OK or not, there are supposed to be people smarter than him deciding whether or not this should go out over the internet, and that failed to happen. Who was the editor who looked at this and also said OK? Which is why ESPN said they are looking into that as well.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Hard to believe this happened.
    Saw that he was let go today by ESPN.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
    Yeah idiots allways think they have all the answers now this tool is unemployable :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Yeah idiots allways think they have all the answers now this tool is unemployable :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I would imagine it's the exact opposite. I bet he's probably getting job offers as we speak. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to hire him because he is infamous now. He's more famous now than he's ever been. ESPN fired him, because they attempt to keep a clean image, but not everybody is concerned with that. Look at Don Imus, he is still on the radio, simulcast on TV too I believe.

I would imagine it's the exact opposite. I bet he's probably getting job offers as we speak. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to hire him because he is infamous now. He's more famous now than he's ever been. ESPN fired him, because they attempt to keep a clean image, but not everybody is concerned with that. Look at Don Imus, he is still on the radio, simulcast on TV too I believe.

I agree. He''ll land on his feet. I would love to see an interview just to see him answer the question..."What the hell were you thinking"?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232

I doubt it what people should realize is that the Lin story is bigger than anything they can say about him making this douche an expandable writter, he will get a job but with who ? a low grade news outlet at best and you mentioned Imus who listens to him or watch him at least in NY the Boomer&Carton show are killing him in the ratings ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

I doubt it what people should realize is that the Lin story is bigger than anything they can say about him making this douche an expandable writter, he will get a job but with who ? a low grade news outlet at best and you mentioned Imus who listens to him or watch him at least in NY the Boomer&Carton show are killing him in the ratings ....

Well I'm not really talking about the Lin story, or how big he is or isn't. That's beside the point, and I barely give two shits about the NBA, much less for the Knicks or Jeremy Lin. Just saying, he isn't "unemployable", maybe he won't get a job at as reputable an outlet as ESPN, but he won't be out on the streets. I doubt he was exactly rolling in the dough, he was like a 4th/5th tier personality with the network, he could conceivably go somewhere else and make more money than he did at ESPN.

I don't really give a shit about Don Imus, or his ratings either, I'm just saying he still has a job after his racist comments.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    update
    espn fired one of these guys and suspended the other
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"