F Chord (Update)

2»

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    LukinFan wrote:
    It's a form of what BinFrog suggested. I'm barring the whole first fret with my index finger (but mainly concentrating on the top two strings - B and E) and then my middle finger is on the G string, 2nd fret, and then finally my ring finger is on the D string, 3rd fret (where my pinky should be). I only strum the top four strings, leaving my pinky to just hangout. I know it's not the proper F chord, but it seems to work and make me feel a lot less frustrated.

It's not a form of what I suggested...it IS what I suggested :)

The easiest way to play F is xx3211. You get all 3 notes of F major in, without having to clamp down on the E and A strings.

F major scale is: F G A Bb C D E

To play a major chord in its simplest form (i.e. no 7ths or anything), you need the 1, 3 and 5 notes of the major scale (Ionian, Phrygian and Mixolydian modes). For F that's: F A C

If you were to play all 6 strings and the "proper" form of F:

1 3 3 2 1 1

Or:

F C F A C F

If you play the "simple" way I outlined, you are taking out the F and C notes on the E and A strings, leaving you with:

x x F A C F

All 3 notes you need to complete the chord are still there. Plus like I said, it's easy to switch to other chords from there, and back again. Switching to/from C or G is much easier with this chord variation.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    BinFrog wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    It's a form of what BinFrog suggested. I'm barring the whole first fret with my index finger (but mainly concentrating on the top two strings - B and E) and then my middle finger is on the G string, 2nd fret, and then finally my ring finger is on the D string, 3rd fret (where my pinky should be). I only strum the top four strings, leaving my pinky to just hangout. I know it's not the proper F chord, but it seems to work and make me feel a lot less frustrated.

The easiest way to play F is xx3211. You get all 3 notes of F major in, without having to clamp down on the E and A strings.

To play a major chord in its simplest form (i.e. no 7ths or anything), you need the 1, 3 and 5 notes of the major scale (Ionian, Phrygian and Mixolydian modes). For F that's: F A C

1 3 3 2 1 1

Or:

F C F A C F

If you play the "simple" way I outlined, you are taking out the F and C notes on the E and A strings, leaving you with:

x x F A C F

All 3 notes you need to complete the chord are still there. Plus like I said, it's easy to switch to other chords from there, and back again. Switching to/from C or G is much easier with this chord variation.
    Thank you again - you really did make this easier on me
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Never knew you were supposed to ever use all 4 Fingers

f-major-chord01.gif
    Rollings wrote:

f-major-chord01.gif
    any tips on how to bar just those two top strings (B and E)?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• phungiphungi Posts: 641
    LukinFan wrote:

I had to pick up a guitar and "see" since I just do this instinctually:

bar the B and E with the top pad/3rd of your index finger
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
    phungi wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Yeah, I've tried that. I've tried putting my index finger down on the B string and then rolling it down onto the E string and it just sounds like shit. I just don't get it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• If you want to play the open position F chord (as opposed to the full barre), then barring the E and B with your index finger is really the only way to do it. I've never seen it played any other way.....See the below generic image (from google). Also, are you using light gauge strings? If not, id suggest switching

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-__9UUr3I9TA/T ... -chord.jpg

This chord shape is easier to play further away from the nut...so try playing the same shape at the 7th fret (B chord) and then at the 5th fret (A chord) and then at the 3rd (F chord). This will at least give you the feel of barring the E and B together. But it really all goes back to the age old advice that no one wants to hear...Keep practicing! You just need to train the muscles in your fingers and eventually it'll be as easy as an Eminor chord,
    chorduroy wrote:
    If you want to play the open position F chord (as opposed to the full barre), then barring the E and B with your index finger is really the only way to do it. I've never seen it played any other way.....See the below generic image (from google). Also, are you using light gauge strings? If not, id suggest switching

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-__9UUr3I9TA/T ... -chord.jpg

This chord shape is easier to play further away from the nut...so try playing the same shape at the 7th fret (B chord) and then at the 5th fret (A chord) and then at the 3rd (F chord). This will at least give you the feel of barring the E and B together. But it really all goes back to the age old advice that no one wants to hear...Keep practicing! You just need to train the muscles in your fingers and eventually it'll be as easy as an Eminor chord,
    Cool - thank you. Yeah, I guess it's just practice that I need more than anything
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    BinFrog wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

1 3 3 2 1 1

Or:

F C F A C F

x x F A C F

Use the thumb to fret the low F and you're good. The third ('C') is highly overrated...
    LukinFan wrote:
    Rollings wrote:

f-major-chord01.gif

Yes.

You smoosh your index finger into it. Bend your whole hand if you gotta.

Bend your hand so that the side of the index finger (the side that's friends with your thumb) smooshes into the two strings.

Practice just that finger before you add the other two.
    LukinFan wrote:
    phungi wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Yeah, I've tried that. I've tried putting my index finger down on the B string and then rolling it down onto the E string and it just sounds like shit. I just don't get it

Don't roll.

Smoosh.
    Rollings wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Rollings wrote:

f-major-chord01.gif

Yes.

You smoosh your index finger into it. Bend your whole hand if you gotta.

Bend your hand so that the side of the index finger (the side that's friends with your thumb) smooshes into the two strings.

Practice just that finger before you add the other two.
    thanks - I'll give it a shot
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Yeah, I do that formation with the tip of my index finger on the B string, and you end up with the pad of the index finger holding down the E string. If you don't get enough pressure on the E string to fret it, then you'll just be muting it, which isn't the end of the world.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah, I do that formation with the tip of my index finger on the B string, and you end up with the pad of the index finger holding down the E string. If you don't get enough pressure on the E string to fret it, then you'll just be muting it, which isn't the end of the world.
    okay, i think I understand. so, the majority of the pressure is going down on small E?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

bump for the person with the sore hand post
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    The other thing to keep in mind is that it's rock and roll it's ok to sound a little rough....
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA