I signed up for my first 5k…

CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm excited and scared I'll fail. I go "running" almost every day but that includes a bit of walking to catch my breath and not die. Either way… Broad street here I come (running like a mental hospital escapee)!!!

Any tips from those who've done them?
"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm excited and scared I'll fail. I go "running" almost every day but that includes a bit of walking to catch my breath and not die. Either way… Broad street here I come (running like a mental hospital escapee)!!!

I have no tips for you- just run every day !!!!

Good luck :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I was going to start a thread the other day about this. I'm doing 2 this year. One in August and one in October.

I've been doing sprint intervals and I also work with a trainer once a week to redevelop my core strength.
    I need to get outside and start running this week.

I'm an extreme novice. Overweight and not a runner.
  • I was going to start a thread the other day about this. I'm doing 2 this year. One in August and one in October.

I've been doing sprint intervals and I also work with a trainer once a week to redevelop my core strength.
    I need to get outside and start running this week.

I'm an extreme novice. Overweight and not a runner.

Does this mean you need to give up Guinness?

Seriously though if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. Advice would be train for going longer distances at your own pace, that way when it comes time to do the run and you are all amped up you dont use too much of the energy out of the gate and shit yourself at the finish line. :D
    I am way off on my cardio, I can just get to 20 miles on my bike. Don't think I will be running 5k anytime soon. I know someone who runs the marathon every year and runs daily....another guy who runs a 5k does what my suggestion was.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112

You will get an extra wind come race day as you will be running through lovely north and south Philly where getting the hell out of their is all the incentive you need. I grew up in north Philly which is how I became such a good runner :D
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,406
    the first 5k is the toughest. just keep running/training & you'll be fine! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,776
    i guess just pace yourself. Good luck and have a great time :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    practice, practice, practice...

it's all mental, learn how to turn off the pain switch when your muscles are sore and run through it.

focus on your breathing, pace yourself and stay hydrated.
    Haven't given up the beer yet. Just working out 6 days a week (on average) since thanksgiving.

I'm trying to manage these workouts in between work, three kids and my wife's opposite work schedule.

OP. When is your 5k?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Yeah....run at YOUR OWN pace....it's easy to get caught up in the rush that accompanies the starting gun....warm up prior to the race and stretch at your comfort level....don't run the day before the race....don't think about how far you have to go, concentrate on how far you have ran....Make it fun :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Pacing myself was the hardest thing for me to figure out when I got back into running. For me I just found that I run just fast enough to not lose my breath. When that happened I was going too fast. Good luck man! :thumbup:
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    It's all about pace. But you'll be fine, 5K's are no sweat.

I just signed up for the Broad Street Run. Should be interesting...
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    DS1119 wrote:
    Pacing myself was the hardest thing for me to figure out when I got back into running. For me I just found that I run just fast enough to not lose my breath. When that happened I was going too fast. Good luck man! :thumbup:

I do the same! Learning to slow down and enjoy the run was the toughest part. I wish you luck also.... you will truly learn to love running after all the training and the 5K run is over. Have fun with it!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • I'm excited and scared I'll fail. I go "running" almost every day but that includes a bit of walking to catch my breath and not die. Either way… Broad street here I come (running like a mental hospital escapee)!!!

I am not a runner, but my mother's uncle Johnny Kelly was named runner of the century in the 2000 issue of Runner's world magazine. He completed the Boston Marathon 61 times and was victorious 1n 1935 and 1945.
    He completed his last 25 mile marathon at the age of 84. He then ran partial marathons for several years after that.
    He was a member of the 1936 olympic team in Berlin and snubbed an offer of a handshake from Adolf Hitler.
    My mother said he ran on the Cape Cod beaches daily and rarely missed a day. He said if he missed a day of training he felt like he was going to die. He still trained until his mid 90s. One day he was admitted to a nursing home and died the next day .
    He was a true legend.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    He was a member of the 1936 olympic team in Berlin and snubbed an offer of a handshake from Adolf Hitler.
    10118d1328590894t-swiftors-awesome-132674302118.gif
    voidof81 wrote:
    10118d1328590894t-swiftors-awesome-132674302118.gif
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    I've done several 5 and 10K's. For me, I've noticed that the best way to boost my endurance is to incorporate interval and hill training into my schedule. For example, I will do interval training on Monday, hill training on Tuesday, long slow tempo run on Wednesday, rest Thu, fast tempo run on Friday, hill + Intervals on Sat, rest Sun.
    Some other suggestions I would give you is not to over exercise, cut back on the distance the week of your race, don't run the day before the race, start out slowly and build your speed. Think of it this way; your second half of the race should go faster than the first half.

Have fun! Good luck :thumbup:
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Mine is at the end of May, a good amount of time to prep. I've been working out 6 days a week, 1-1.5 hrs a pop (run, weights, stretch & other cardio) and one session a week is a 2hr one where I push myself just a little more. I've given up alcohol, other indulgences, coffee with cream n sugar & changed my eating habits completely… not to mention I get up in the am an work out (which those who know me, is a HUGE deal!). I'm trying to make big changes in my life (not just in this area).

When building stamina is it more important to do a continuous speed for a long period or to switch it up in intervals? I haven't been able to get outside and run yet, when it's a bit warmer I will (it's just a little too cold at 5am!).

Oh and a friend of mine says I need to get good running shoes… which means spending some $$$, is this necessary or not really?
    Mine is at the end of May, a good amount of time to prep. I've been working out 6 days a week, 1-1.5 hrs a pop (run, weights, stretch & other cardio) and one session a week is a 2hr one where I push myself just a little more. I've given up alcohol, other indulgences, coffee with cream n sugar & changed my eating habits completely… not to mention I get up in the am an work out (which those who know me, is a HUGE deal!). I'm trying to make big changes in my life (not just in this area).

When building stamina is it more important to do a continuous speed for a long period or to switch it up in intervals? I haven't been able to get outside and run yet, when it's a bit warmer I will (it's just a little too cold at 5am!).

Oh and a friend of mine says I need to get good running shoes… which means spending some $$$, is this necessary or not really?
    to build stamina, it's always good to change things up. run a continuous speed, then sprint for a short amount of time, then back to a continuous speed... whatever you're comfortable with

as for shoes, you can get a good pair of running shoes for 30-40 bucks... i like New Balance but there are other brands out there too that aren't too expensive
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Yay! Good for you!

You can do it! You can do it!

Believe in yourself, and look straight ahead. If you are outside, it's easy to get distracted, but if you train yourself to focus on a straight line of sight then all of you will be part of that focus.

Good luck, and have fun!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    You already have more training than I did when I participated in my no-training-half-marathon. Just keep building up your endurance, increasing your run-to-walk ratio gradually until you are at the pace you want.
  • Thanks guys! This is really helpful to hear from people that have done one, or many. Gotta say… I like what running has done for my ass so far! Lol!
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Mine is at the end of May, a good amount of time to prep. I've been working out 6 days a week, 1-1.5 hrs a pop (run, weights, stretch & other cardio) and one session a week is a 2hr one where I push myself just a little more. I've given up alcohol, other indulgences, coffee with cream n sugar & changed my eating habits completely… not to mention I get up in the am an work out (which those who know me, is a HUGE deal!). I'm trying to make big changes in my life (not just in this area).

A shoe that fits your foot and stride makes a big difference, especially when you take your workout out doors on harder surfaces. If you go to a shoe store like Front runners, or whatever you have in your area, they're usually pretty good at finding the right shoe for you. Personally I've always found Asics to be far superior to any other shoe I've tried...but that's just my preference. Don't buy the latest model, check out the last season's instead. They normally don't make big changes and are always way cheaper.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Suzi78 wrote:
    I've done several 5 and 10K's. For me, I've noticed that the best way to boost my endurance is to incorporate interval and hill training into my schedule. For example, I will do interval training on Monday, hill training on Tuesday, long slow tempo run on Wednesday, rest Thu, fast tempo run on Friday, hill + Intervals on Sat, rest Sun.
    Some other suggestions I would give you is not to over exercise, cut back on the distance the week of your race, don't run the day before the race, start out slowly and build your speed. Think of it this way; your second half of the race should go faster than the first half.

Have fun! Good luck :thumbup:
    very good advice here. I ran track and cross country in high school and competed in track club races all over the state for years and this is pretty much a good regimen to follow. Of course I did longer distances in training but if you stretched out your slow tempo runs a bit over the 5K distance that wold probably be good too.
    I also use to do mile intervals at a decent pace, rest five minutes and do another. If you can pick up the pace a bit and do a few of them I think that would help you on race day.
    Of course I don't know what your motivation for doing the 5K is so I should note that I approached it in a highly competitive manner...i don't i ever ran just for fun or to keep in shape.
    But good luck and have fun.
    Also like others said...be careful not to get caught up in the pack and running at a higher rate of speed that you normally would or are capable of running at
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Download this app....Check out the song the put on the model phone in the middle!!!

http://personalrunningtrainer.com/?gclid=COf2zLK5o64CFUff4Aod9jkdPQ
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I thought Broad Street was a 10-Miler?

End of May? My unfit friend ran a half marathon with less prep time. You will be able to crush this.

Here is a great program by a running master.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933 ... ng-Program
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    MayDay10 wrote:

End of May? My unfit friend ran a half marathon with less prep time. You will be able to crush this.

Cool link, always very interesting how much walking is often over looked as an exercise which I agree is a great exercise for those out of shape or as a means to simply stay in shape.
  • My mistake, it's at Fairmount Park / Please Touch Museum
    MayDay10 wrote:

• Too funny, I just downloaded this, this morning :)
    Download this app....Check out the song the put on the model phone in the middle!!!

http://personalrunningtrainer.com/?gclid=COf2zLK5o64CFUff4Aod9jkdPQ
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Run up and down those steps you have there. They helped Rocky go the distance with Creed, so i would think they would help you get ready for a 5K.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    I bought the ease into 5k app. It has a GPS tracking tool that maps out the route you ran.