cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Huh? That is weird.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Intresting
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    This was Nate's charity back then.....not sure if the entire band knew all of the facts behind the cause.
  • Options
    Oh please.

The only mention of Foo Fighters is that the bass player helped organize a concert and he gave the book to his band mates (who may or may not have even read it).

That hardly makes the Foo Fighters HIV Deniers. It's like saying that they all support Heroin because Dave Grohl used to play for a band where the lead singer took it.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Oh please.

The only mention of Foo Fighters is that the bass player helped organize a concert and he gave the book to his band mates (who may or may not have even read it).

That hardly makes the Foo Fighters HIV Deniers. It's like saying that they all support Heroin because Dave Grohl used to play for a band where the lead singer took it.

Do you really expect people to get all of the facts before they make snap judgements here?

You are a man of high expectations!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Oh please.

Reading the article carefully, I see that what you're saying hear is exactly correct. I wonder what the rest of the band think of the bass player's actions and the Mother Jones article seemingly giving the Foos a bad name here?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    This is kind of an old story. I was an HIV educator in the 90s and don't remember when I first heard about this but it was in the band's early days. I haven't heard anything related to it since (until seeing this thread) so I don't think it's something the band has made an issue of.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I'm going to apply this reasoning and come up with a similar conclusion:
    I think that even though I am diametrically opposed to what the Westboro Baptist Church says about gays and lesbians, I fully support their right to speak their opinions in public forum.
    I am a member of this forum...
    Therefore, everyone on this forum supports the Westboro Baptist Church.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I don't think we have all the scientific data and there appears to be no link between HIV and AIDS. Global warming is another one where science is linking climate change to man and their methods are dubious at best.

I mean, I am no scientist, but I play one on the internet.

j/k
  • Options
    werent all the grunge bands supportive of some organization that was accused of that? I seriously doubt people like Cornell, Ed, and Kurt, Dave Grohl would or currently believe that HIV is a hoax or a lie.

But i do remember Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and others were supportive of an organizion, called something like Home Alive, that was accused of this stuff.

They havent mentioned the organization since then. And i havent ever seen the organization talked about in probably 16 years
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    http://godkillzyou.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... al-update/

Looks pretty old: the OP is dated 2000, and the above is 2008.
  • Options
    For the record.. back in the early 90s when I was 21 and my friends were all wasting away and dropping dead around me, I also read and discussed the "HIV doesn't exist" theories and many of us were ready to grasp at any straw no matter how silly.

I had friends who were treating themselves with some of the most insane treatments and every snake oil salesman came to the rescue with a new hair-brained idea like Hydrogen Peroxide or Garlic Wheat Grass and Weird Asian blood tonics.

So I don't even blame him for at least wanting to give some attention to someone who might have a cure or treatment that would actually solve such a huge problem.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    werent all the grunge bands supportive of some organization that was accused of that? I seriously doubt people like Cornell, Ed, and Kurt, Dave Grohl would or currently believe that HIV is a hoax or a lie.

But i do remember Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and others were supportive of an organizion, called something like Home Alive, that was accused of this stuff.

They havent mentioned the organization since then. And i havent ever seen the organization talked about in probably 16 years

I think you're thinking of something entirely different. Home Alive, which was supported by all those bands all those years ago, is an anti-violence organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Alive
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I just saw this posted for the first time today & didn't notice that it was old news. Regardless, now that I'm looking into it, I think it has some merit. Nate Mendel wrote a letter to the editor in response to the article, in which he maintained the position they said the band supported; he didn't deny that what the article said was true. And apparently the Foo Fighters had this organization listed on their website until 2007 as a cause supported by the band.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    For the record.. back in the early 90s when I was 21 and my friends were all wasting away and dropping dead around me, I also read and discussed the "HIV doesn't exist" theories and many of us were ready to grasp at any straw no matter how silly.

I had friends who were treating themselves with some of the most insane treatments and every snake oil salesman came to the rescue with a new hair-brained idea like Hydrogen Peroxide or Garlic Wheat Grass and Weird Asian blood tonics.

So I don't even blame him for at least wanting to give some attention to someone who might have a cure or treatment that would actually solve such a huge problem.

i heard of a guy who treats him self by eating frozen yogurt and apparently while it wont cure it there is some merit to it

the wrest are quite mental though