Anybody here ever get published for fiction writing?

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anybody have any advice about how to get published (fiction novel)?
I've done some google searching and read some of "Guide to Literary Agents".

I know I have to create a query letter and obtain a literary agent next.

Any other advice?
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    I've been going through this process for a few years now and if you're looking for full length fiction get the query letter done and then check out the following sites:

www.writersmarket.com
    www.publishersmarketplace.com
    www.webook.com

The first two are pay by the month but you can get enough information on agents who represent your genre and compile a list to last you a very long time. It's a great way to find excellent agents and exactly what they want when you send in submissions. Most of the time you'll be redirected to an agency's website but this is easier than simply searching the internet for "literary agents." If you don't want to pay, that works too. The last last site is fairly new and you can upload your query, synopsis and bio information and that also lets you send it to interested agents. However, the last site has a limited inventory of agents (it hasn't caught on quite yet). Some agents wants a query, some what fifty pages and some want both or more.

If you're looking to publish short fiction, check out www.duotrope.com. This site lets you search for genres and lengths to publish your short stories.

There is also the route of going to small publishing houses with your work, but I've found they're difficult to track down and most of them are subsidiaries of huge publishing firms and won't look at your work without an agent.

Good luck, I'm still hoping for some luck to come my way.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • CP218430 wrote:
    I've been going through this process for a few years now and if you're looking for full length fiction get the query letter done and then check out the following sites:

http://www.writersmarket.com
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com
    http://www.webook.com

The first two are pay by the month but you can get enough information on agents who represent your genre and compile a list to last you a very long time. It's a great way to find excellent agents and exactly what they want when you send in submissions. Most of the time you'll be redirected to an agency's website but this is easier than simply searching the internet for "literary agents." If you don't want to pay, that works too. The last last site is fairly new and you can upload your query, synopsis and bio information and that also lets you send it to interested agents. However, the last site has a limited inventory of agents (it hasn't caught on quite yet). Some agents wants a query, some what fifty pages and some want both or more.

If you're looking to publish short fiction, check out http://www.duotrope.com. This site lets you search for genres and lengths to publish your short stories.

There is also the route of going to small publishing houses with your work, but I've found they're difficult to track down and most of them are subsidiaries of huge publishing firms and won't look at your work without an agent.

Wow, awesome, thank you!
    I have some editing ahead of me and have to create my query letter, but these sites look like they will help. I appreciate it.

My word count is about 62K, so I think it might be too long for short fiction.
    Good luck to you too! :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    Good luck with the editing process. I've found that once you give it a few good revisions, step away make your lists and letters and dive back in.

Glad to be of help.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • I'm still working to the grindstone on this, so if anyone knows anyone who can help me, please PM!

My novel has been complete for a few months and I've been querying literary agents all over the country to represent my work. I have submitted 22 queries and have received 4 rejections and a few automated responses. My goal is to query agents for the next six months and/or 75 queries. If after that I dont succeed, I will self-publish on Amazon or something I think..

Wish me luck! :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Chadwick is a published poet. Snakeduck is published as well. Best of luck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Chadwick is a published poet. Snakeduck is published as well. Best of luck

Oh yeah! Thanks 81. I'll have to give Chadwick a PM. Havent seen old snakeduck in awhile... Off in the woods somewhere?
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I won't send the dude cash.
    He won't do pay pal

Don hasn't listed him as a trader.

IF anyone has more info about this Plz PM me.

It's good work, but Unattainable for some reason?
    I'm still working to the grindstone on this, so if anyone knows anyone who can help me, please PM!

My novel has been complete for a few months and I've been querying literary agents all over the country to represent my work. I have submitted 22 queries and have received 4 rejections and a few automated responses. My goal is to query agents for the next six months and/or 75 queries. If after that I dont succeed, I will self-publish on Amazon or something I think..

Remember, Stephen King's Wife Tabitha sent in "CARRIE", after she found it in the trash.

PM me.. I talk to authors , booksellers and recommend blogs.

Chuck PAlahniuk is always the first to wish me a happy birthday.
    He invited me to lite reactor .

Maybe it's because I won't be a Suicide Girl ? They require that I get a tattoo to join.

Super LAme.

Luv U Chuck.

LET me know when it comes.. I am still active in Independent writer publishing groups...
    CP218430 wrote:

http://www.writersmarket.com
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com
    http://www.webook.com

If you're looking to publish short fiction, check out http://www.duotrope.com. This site lets you search for genres and lengths to publish your short stories.

Lite reactor is better. You have like minded Peers to edit and review your stuff for free, and it's Trending heavily for 3 years. OR booksense, but they are very slow. Who wants an invite?
  • STAYSEA wrote:
    I'm still working to the grindstone on this, so if anyone knows anyone who can help me, please PM!

Remember, Stephen King's Wife Tabitha sent in "CARRIE", after she found it in the trash.

PM me.. I talk to authors , booksellers and recommend blogs.

Chuck PAlahniuk is always the first to wish me a happy birthday.
    He invited me to lite reactor .

Maybe it's because I won't be a Suicide Girl ? They require that I get a tattoo to join.

Super LAme.

Luv U Chuck.

LET me know when it comes.. I am still active in Independent writer publishing groups...

Thanks Staysea, will do.
    I have a friend who met another author through Chuck P... this other author's name is Josh Mohr I tihnk. My friend took one of Josh Mohr's online writing classes. I saw the requirements and the work the did and it was all excellent. I may do that too.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    Perseverance.

One of my dearest friends sent me and a couple of his other close friends and trusted readers a dazzling manuscript about 15 years ago seeking our comments.

After completing his next draft, he then sent that thing out to every agent, publisher, distinguished professor, (published) writer friend, etc. that he could muster. Rejection letter after rejection letter followed.

He kept at it.

Ten years later, it gets published, receives glowing reviews pretty much across the board, and now he keeps company with a lot of our great contemporary authors -- he is now considered one of them -- and receives nuggets of wisdom from old regime who, while not going gently into that good night, are in the process of handing down their crowns.

If you believe in your work and those whom you trust to be honest with you believe in it as well, keep at it is all I can say.

Also, if you are close to a school with a decent enough creative writing program, drop by the campus and see what publications are having contests or taking submissions. If a chapter of your work stands out, submit it as a short story.

Good luck.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind wrote:
    Perseverance.

One of my dearest friends sent me and a couple of his other close friends and trusted readers a dazzling manuscript about 15 years ago seeking our comments.

After completing his next draft, he then sent that thing out to every agent, publisher, distinguished professor, (published) writer friend, etc. that he could muster. Rejection after rejection letter followed.

He kept at it.

Ten years later, it gets published, receives glowing reviews pretty much across the board, and now he keeps company with a lot of our great contemporary authors -- he is now considered one of them -- and receives nuggets of wisdom from old regime who, while not going gently into that good night, are in the process of handing down their crowns.

If you believe in your work and those whom you trust to be honest with you believe in it as well, keep at it is all I can say.

Also, if you are close to a school with a decent enough creative writing program, drop by the campus and see what publications are having contests or taking submissions. If a chapter of your work stands out, submit it as a short story.

Good luck.

Dankind, very cool, good story, thank you! I love to hear these things, they keep one motivated..
    I read Stephen Kings On Writing, and what stood out to me is that he said when he was getting started he put a hook on the wall where he hung all his rejections. Apparently, it filled up quickly. :shock:

I am learning that there are a lot of contests and other ways to get your writing out there. I will keep looking and chugging along... a creative writing program is probably a good place to start.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    My best friend is not a writer and has never written anything outside of copy for his work. He is a marketing guy.

he wrote a zombie book last year and got it published this january. It is a small publishing company called severed press. He had a couple other offers. Nothing from the big guys. So i'm not sure if you are open to a small one but what he did was market the hell out of it while he was writing.

He set up a twitter account, made a web page and used everythign he could to get his site towards the top of the google search list for new zombie book. He built up followers on twitter to build interest and joined forums to have folks help edit his book.
    By December he had 3 offers he chose the best it is on sale on amazon now

900 miles is the name of the book.

If you have any specific questions i can ask him for you pm me i'm sure he would be happy to answer any. He was shocked as hell that it got published he was planning to go the self publishing route.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i am of no help ... but i wish you all the luck ...
  • intodeep wrote:
    My best friend is not a writer and has never written anything outside of copy for his work. He is a marketing guy.

he wrote a zombie book last year and got it published this january. It is a small publishing company called severed press. He had a couple other offers. Nothing from the big guys. So i'm not sure if you are open to a small one but what he did was market the hell out of it while he was writing.

He set up a twitter account, made a web page and used everythign he could to get his site towards the top of the google search list for new zombie book. He built up followers on twitter to build interest and joined forums to have folks help edit his book.
    By December he had 3 offers he chose the best it is on sale on amazon now

900 miles is the name of the book.

If you have any specific questions i can ask him for you pm me i'm sure he would be happy to answer any. He was shocked as hell that it got published he was planning to go the self publishing route.

Nice! I will check out severed press. Thanks! i will pm you.
    polaris_x wrote:
    i am of no help ... but i wish you all the luck ...

Thanks Polaris, you can help when the book goes on sale! :mrgreen:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

i'll buy it! ... i've bought t-shirts, book of poetry and soap from people here! ... haha
  • polaris_x wrote:

i'll buy it! ... i've bought t-shirts, book of poetry and soap from people here! ... haha

:D awesome! Keeping the board fed! (and clean!)