Options

The Perfect Venue?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ryman Auditorium

Ryman-Auditorium-3-9-11.jpg
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    perfect venue is the one that's close to home.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,833
    Ryman Auditorium

This. The Mother Church. I'd give my left pinkie toe to see the whole ensemble play here. Seeing/hearing Ed sing 'Arc' here a few years ago is one of my all-time favorite PJ moments.
  • Options
    Exactly and why I didn't bite on these Nashville tix. Holding out on the chance a Ryman show is added. If not then I don't travel. This is the only venue he could play at that I'd travel for. No interest in Orpheum at all.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Sheets Of ClaySheets Of Clay Posts: 278
    edited February 2012
    Ryman Auditorium

People that say the Ryman is the perfect venue always crack me up. Sure it sounds amazing, but there are LOTS of bad sight lines. See all those columns that hold up the balcony, they obstruct anything past the 15th row or so. They will sell you seats way in the back on the side where you can't see anything at all.
    Post edited by Sheets Of Clay on
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    mh210105 wrote:
    GLASTONBURY!!!!!!!
    ahahahahahahahah top of the range old son its always been my wish to see them on the pyramid stage and if it wasn't for the fallow year this year i reckon my wish may have come true ............not missed one since 96 still got 7 bands surviving on my wrist :lol::lol: ........AND THEY HAVE THIS YEAR AS A FALLOW YEAR .........night mare and IOW festis s..t .
    ah i love glasto so that's my perfect venue .
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    edibervan wrote:
    I am very curious about Epidavros...
    :D
    How would you like this mister? :)
    Well, I can honestly say I do like it and it gives me the goosebumps.
    Bring it on for the next PJ european tour, please?
    Ill be there! =)
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    I've never been , but the Royal Albert Hall looks awesome. The Killers live dvd from a couple years ago is outstanding.

royal-albert-hall.jpg
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    edibervan wrote:
    Pap wrote:
    edibervan wrote:
    I am very curious about Epidavros...
    :D
    How would you like this mister? :)
    Well, I can honestly say I do like it and it gives me the goosebumps.
    Bring it on for the next PJ european tour, please?
    Ill be there! =)
    :thumbup: :-D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,088
    I suppose it depends on the type of venue.

For club/bar/pub kind of thing. The commodore in Vancouver is pretty sweet. It's an older venue, but closed and reno'd at the end of the 90's and reopened in '99. Designed for concerts. Really good acoustics. The wooden floor has a layer of tennis balls (or so the rumor goes) underneath the floor. So if the crowd is jump you get some massive upswing on the floor. I remember it had some good bounce to it when Pearl Jam ripped into Even Flow in 2000.

For Amphitheatre's, I like the scenic outdoor Theatres. The Gorge is the favorite amphitheatre I've ever been too. It's on the side of the canyon on the Columbia River.. it looks so epic and is an awesome background to a concert/festival. The sound is pretty good too. The other one I've always wanted to go to is Red Rocks. If PJ ever plays there again I'd consider making the trip.

I don't generally count Indoor Stadiums/Arenas. The newer they are, generally the better the acoustics, but its still an arena. I guess some outdoor stadiums might have a little character (like grizzly stadium in missoula, with the hill/mountain behind the stadium that people can watch the show for free).

Generally my opinion is biased by the venues in southwestern canada/northwestern USA as its my turf. Still I think its valid. The white river amphitheatre in Seattles pales in comparison to the gorge :)
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,234
    An acoustic show in Birmingham Symphony Hall would be amazing. Great acoustics in there.

birmingham.jpg

I love Wuhlheide, it's time to see what Waldbuhne is like:

jw_Waldbuehne_BM_Be_611746b.jpg
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Ryman Auditorium

People that say the Ryman is the perfect venue always crack me up. Sure it sounds amazing, but there are LOTS of bad sight lines. See all those columns that hold up the balcony, they obstruct anything past the 15th row or so. They will sell you seats way in the back on the side where you can't see anything at all.

I had side seats in the balcony last year to see Old Crow Medicine Show and the sound was still good and I still had great view of the band. Definitely better venue than the huge arenas where the only way you can "see" is on the big screen :(
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    edited May 2021
    Pap said:
    1_1jpg
    TheOdeonTheaterIIjpg
    The Odeon of Herodes Atticus is a stone theatre structure located on the south slope of the Acropolis of Athens. Directly in the heart of the Greek capital!
    Come on PJ!... :prayer:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    81 said:
    JimmyV wrote:
    The original Boston Garden was an amazing place to see them. Also, Wuhlheide is on my bucket list of places to see a show.

Yeah all the old basketball/hockey arenas were the best. The Spectrum, "old" Boston Garden and old Chicago Arena etc. the new ones suck sound wise.

Chicago Stadium
    Ahhh what a great loud as shit rock show venue....and the beginnjng of it all for me.

However the VIC was the ultimate cozy venue.   However the Chicaho Theater is as beautiful as it comes in the midwest IMO
  • Options
    KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 72
    The MET in Philly
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    It's already been done mate, Teatro Antico of Taormina.