Something I want to know, its a bit daft.

big mickbig mick Posts: 773
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
When people talk about frying an egg, what do they mean by 'over easy' or 'sunny side up'? And are there any more terms like this?

Cheers big love
Big Mick (a daft Englishman) :mrgreen:
Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Is it covered with the yolk not visible (over easy) or whites with visible yolk in the middle - like a sun with white rays I guess (sunny side up)
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    I really have no clue...... :|
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • i don't know about all the differences but you can have eggs over easy, over medium, over hard?, poached, scrambled, sunny-side up, boiled, deviled, whites only....i'm sure there are others too. it's just about how its cooked, when it's flipped. this is about all i know about it
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    mh210105 wrote:
    When people talk about frying an egg, what do they mean by 'over easy' or 'sunny side up'? And are there any more terms like this?

Cheers big love
    Big Mick (a daft Englishman) :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_egg

:D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I didn't know without looking it up, because I always order mine "over hard", as I don't like runny yolk. I like it solid.

But here are the descriptions as Wikipedia (the worlds #1 source of egg information) gives them

'Sunny side up' — cooked only on one side; yolk is liquid; the egg white is often still a bit runny as well. This is often known simply as 'eggs up'. Gently splashing the hot cooking oil or fat on the sunny side uncooked white, i.e., basting, may be done to thoroughly cook the white. Covering the frying pan with a lid during cooking (optionally adding a cover and half-teaspoon of water just before finishing) allows for a less "runny" egg, and is an alternate method to flipping for cooking an egg over easy (this is occasionally called 'sunny side down').

'Over easy' - cooked on both sides; the yolk is a light runny and the egg white is not fully cooked. "Over easy" fried eggs are also commonly referred to as dippy eggs or dip eggs by Marylanders, by Pennsylvania Dutch persons living in central Pennsylvania and those living around them, mainly due to the practice of dipping toast into the yolk while eating.

'Over medium' — cooked on both sides; the yolk is of medium consistency and the egg white is thoroughly cooked.

'Over well' — cooked on both sides until the yolk has solidified.

'Over hard' or 'hard' — cooked on both sides with the yolk broken until hard.

'Overcook' — cooked on both sides until the egg white and yolk have burnt, blacken and crispy.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    'Overcook' — cooked on both sides until the egg white and yolk have burnt, blacken and crispy.

:lol: Burnt egg is one of the worst tastes in the entire world.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    eMMI wrote:

and one of the worst smells :sick:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    StillHere wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

Yeah, this is quite vile. Why would anyone want their eggs overcooked? :o
    I didn't know without looking it up, because I always order mine "over hard", as I don't like runny yolk. I like it solid.

But here are the descriptions as Wikipedia (the worlds #1 source of egg information) gives them

'Sunny side up' — cooked only on one side; yolk is liquid; the egg white is often still a bit runny as well. This is often known simply as 'eggs up'. Gently splashing the hot cooking oil or fat on the sunny side uncooked white, i.e., basting, may be done to thoroughly cook the white. Covering the frying pan with a lid during cooking (optionally adding a cover and half-teaspoon of water just before finishing) allows for a less "runny" egg, and is an alternate method to flipping for cooking an egg over easy (this is occasionally called 'sunny side down').

'Over easy' - cooked on both sides; the yolk is a light runny and the egg white is not fully cooked. "Over easy" fried eggs are also commonly referred to as dippy eggs or dip eggs by Marylanders, by Pennsylvania Dutch persons living in central Pennsylvania and those living around them, mainly due to the practice of dipping toast into the yolk while eating.

'Over medium' — cooked on both sides; the yolk is of medium consistency and the egg white is thoroughly cooked.

'Over well' — cooked on both sides until the yolk has solidified.

'Over hard' or 'hard' — cooked on both sides with the yolk broken until hard.

This sounds like what I was after, its something I've thought about for yeasrs and never bothered to find out about, isn't life complicated? Anyway, I'm 'over easy' by the sound of this.

Thanks to SatansFuton
    Cheers Big Mick
    Is it covered with the yolk not visible (over easy) or whites with visible yolk in the middle - like a sun with white rays I guess (sunny side up)
    Thanks for this very imaginative take on it all.
    mh210105 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    Yeah, this is quite vile. Why would anyone want their eggs overcooked? :o

I've never had a burnt egg, I don't know what it smells or tastes like. But when it comes to eggs the nastiest thing I've probably seen is Balut. If you have a strong stomach you can look it up, I'll spare you the picture and let you decide for yourself if you want to see it, I personally find it unappetizing. It is popular in the Philippines (and other SE Asian countries), and it is usually made with a duck or chicken egg, and they let it develop to the point that the embryo has formed and there's actually a creature inside as opposed to a yolk. Sometimes it's just an embryo, other times it looks like an almost fully formed chick. It is boiled (alive) and then consumed.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i have never once ordered eggs sunny side up or over easy. i have never once cooked my eggs in this fashion either. scrambled up eggs or hard eggs is the only way i will touch eggs, that and deviled eggs sure are tasty during a family and friends gathering. a boiled egg is edible with a minute amount of salt covering the body of the egg.

throw the coal to it, chadwick!
    this being told to me
    whilst driving an 18 wheeler in Alaska
    several decembers ago

throw the coal to it, mh210105

:lolno:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I've never had a burnt egg, I don't know what it smells or tastes like. But when it comes to eggs the nastiest thing I've probably seen is Balut. If you have a strong stomach you can look it up, I'll spare you the picture and let you decide for yourself if you want to see it, I personally find it unappetizing. It is popular in the Philippines (and other SE Asian countries), and it is usually made with a duck or chicken egg, and they let it develop to the point that the embryo has formed and there's actually a creature inside as opposed to a yolk. Sometimes it's just an embryo, other times it looks like an almost fully formed chick. It is boiled (alive) and then consumed.

i've seen that on one of the traveler's cooking shows
    no way could you get me near that thing
    chicken and bones when its fully alive and grown...eaten..is bad enough
    no dead baby chickens for me, thanks
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    anyway
    over easy eggs...runny and gooey
    although probably quite bad for you
    are the YUMMIEST with a buttered english muffin dipped in
    the kids call them "dippy eggs"
    and they are the best addition ever to the sunday morning brunch
    nom nom nom
    peace,
    jo

Iv had another look, I think I prefer over medium, I CAN'T ABIDE EGG SNOT!!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I go over hard...i'd go medium...but can't stand runny whites, so i din't chance it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    I go over hard...i'd go medium...but can't stand runny whites, so i din't chance it

ewwww no! you have to make sure that the whites are cooked..yuk to gooey whites
    peace,
    jo

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I prefer dippy or poached eggs..although I've been on an egg in a basket kick lately :?

i accidentally ordered a sunny side up egg (i was a kid and didn't know what it was)..it was so gross...it basically had a layer of snot on top :sick:

deviled eggs are pretty yummy too!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    I saw the balut eggs on fear factor years ago. Pretty nasty.

Im an over easy or scrambled guy myself
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    StillHere wrote:
    anyway
    over easy eggs...runny and gooey
    although probably quite bad for you
    are the YUMMIEST with a buttered english muffin dipped in
    the kids call them "dippy eggs"
    and they are the best addition ever to the sunday morning brunch
    nom nom nom

YES YES YES!!!
    I like my eggs alive. It's the thrill of the hunt and hearing them beg for their lives.

funny_eggs_humor_art_creative_humor_funny_eggs-dba00ef7e91a044b5e541de617655698_h.jpg#eggs%20funny
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i like over easy or sunny side up eggs... i like to dip my toast in the yolk
    eggs-6839-750px-1.jpg

OK now you've gone and done it
    officially having breakfast for dinner now
    craving!
    peace,
    jo

eggs benedict is always a good choice too...

eggs-benedict-su-633450-l.jpg
    afroannnie wrote:

i've never had that, what is it exactly?
    conman wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

i've never had that, what is it exactly?

poached eggs (runny yolk) on an english muffin with canadian bacon & holladaise sauce!
    afroannnie wrote:

poached eggs (runny yolk) on an english muffin with canadian bacon & holladaise sauce!
    sounds good.. looks good too. might have to try it one day
    conman wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

I recommend it... :D
    tater926 wrote:
    I saw the balut eggs on fear factor years ago. Pretty nasty.

Im an over easy or scrambled guy myself
    In the UK we have a show called 'An Idiot Abroad' and he saw someone eating an egg with some sort of chick foetus inside :o !
    conman wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Looks good!