Options

Buying first guitar - question about Fenders MIM

Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
edited February 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Wanting to buy a tele as my first guitar. My brother agrees and loves tele's, but advises against Mexican made guitars as they are faultier for lack of a better term.

What is your opinion? Spend $500 on a mexican made or $1000 on an american made?

I'm not looking to have an array of guitars when I'm older, just something that I'll play a lot and hopefully have for a while.
MSG II 5/21/10
Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
*formerly manutd3581
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    do you play guitar already? Just because buying a more expensive instrument when it's your first esp if you're learning to play is probably unnecessary You do get what you pay for but at the same time it's a lot of money if you aren't sure to feel the difference
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    KaylosKaylos Posts: 37
    Hey man, I have a MIM Strat, and they are a fantastic gigging guitar, so just playing it as a hobby would be no problem. The only "inferior" part of them is usually the electronics, and in rare cases the paint chips easy inside the cut aways. The electronics work great as long as you aren't trying to get the "perfect" sound. Like I said, I own one, and love it. I would totally suggest getting one. Half the price is a bonus.
    <strong>Loud, And Damned Proud Of It</strong>
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    buy a mexi.. used if you can (i like the older ones) and if you get good update the eletronics, bridge, and maybe first the tuning machines (depending on your model).. nothing wrong at all with a mexi tele..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    if you decide to go with the MIM, look for a used one...$500 seems a lil high. I got one with a nice case for $300 on craigslist...seems to be about the avg price for a used MIM Strat, seems like a tele would be in the same range
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    I have an American Strat and a Mexican Jazzmaster... The Strat is a nicer guitar, but not $800 better (I got the jazzmaster used).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Id go Mexican and upgrade it later.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I own two MIM Fenders, and I love them both. No doubt the USA Fenders are worth more money, but honestly, I feel there are almost no real differences between a standard USA and MIM model. The Custom Shop and Deluxe models from the US are definitely better. But if you compared a standard Tele from Mexico and the US, you probably couldn't tell them apart. I usually avoid Squier models, the MIK (Korea) stuff, that has a lot more problems. You can get a good Korean guitar, but it takes a lot of weeding out the chaff. CIJ (Japanese) Fenders are pretty good, most folks would slot them in between Mexi and US models.

I agree with most of the advice so far, about trying to find a used model in good shape. Used Mexi Fenders can be had for very reasonable prices (often $200-300) and have usually been set up for proper playing. That also gives you some budget room to upgrade some parts (bridge, tuners, pickups) if you decide you'd like a different flavor. Play it as-is for a while, and that will help you decide if something needs to be upgraded.

Last thing I'll tell you: Never sell your first guitar. Ask anyone who has, and they'll tell you how much they regret it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the advice so far! Agree that spending a lot of money on my first isn't needed, although I don't plan on buying many in the future, but I do plan on playing it a lot as well, so we will see.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    There is nothing about a MIM Fender (as compared to a US Fender) that will affect playability or inspiration to play. So don't feel like you're sacrificing long-term learning because you're buying a cheaper instrument. The one key element is to have the guitar set up by a qualified guitar tech, to make sure the guitar is in optimal shape for playing. If the guitar has action that is way high or low, strings that are out of alignment, or if the intonation is off, that will make a bigger impact on your playing and learning. Regardless of what instrument you buy, be prepared to spend a little to have it properly set up for play (assuming it isn't perfect from the moment you buy it).

One thing that new players don't know, but guys who've been playing for decades know, is that there are a ton of cheaper instruments that play and sound just as good as their more expensive counterparts. You will hear a lot about guys who own a fancy, $2000 guitar model that they keep in a climate-controlled studio at home, and play their $500 copy when they go play at the bars and clubs. With a proper set up and some upgrades, no pro player would be afraid to use a decent mid-level guitar. And there are a lot of guys like me who will play a $200 beater guitar because it's got more mojo than most other guitars. It's intimidating when you get started, because you don't know what you're looking, listening, and feeling for; but trust me when I say that a $4000 guitar won't make you any better guitar player than a $400 guitar.

My favorite question for people obsessing over gear is: Who would sound more like Jimi Hendrix: a mediocre guitar player playing thru Jimi's rig, or Jimi playing a Squier guitar through a Gorilla amp?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    I have 2 Fender MIM's.... A strat and a tele. I'm 42 and I've been playing for about 3 years. I wanted to start out with basic equipment. I've found they are both very playable and sound great. I had a full set up done on both by a local guitar tech which was key.

Keep your eyes open for this FSR tele. Right now I think they are only available in store at certain Guitar Center. It's fantastic at $499 (I got mine at 20% off). Call around to see if you can find one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5YRtlz1Dc
  • Options
    SalJam wrote:
    I have 2 Fender MIM's.... A strat and a tele. I'm 42 and I've been playing for about 3 years. I wanted to start out with basic equipment. I've found they are both very playable and sound great. I had a full set up done on both by a local guitar tech which was key.

Keep your eyes open for this FSR tele. Right now I think they are only available in store at certain Guitar Center. It's fantastic at $499 (I got mine at 20% off). Call around to see if you can find one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-telecaster-fsr-ashwith-vintage-noiseless-pickups-electric-guitar
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    SalJam wrote:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-telecaster-fsr-ashwith-vintage-noiseless-pickups-electric-guitar

This one is different than mine. Mine has a reversed contral plate and does not have the vintage-noiseless pickups. This one looks nice too.
  • Options
    I just noticed that. I like yours more especially because of the 50's bridge assembly.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've wanted a blackguard tele with butterscotch blonde paint for a while now.

The FSR looks like a great deal, sure wish they would put the U shape contour on more Tele necks though. It's one of the things that makes them special.

You can't do this on the computer though. You have to take some time, go to a shop and get a few in your hands.

You want to get a feel for the guitar moreso than just the price it costs.

The Baja Tele's are in the middle of that cost range as well, you may like to try them too.

That, and don't be afraid of used.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I can't say enough about the Highway One Tele. It's American made and a great steal at $729. I've had this tele for about five years...it was great, but I recently dropped vintage noiseless pups in it and it is exactly what i've always wanted.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-highway-one-series-telecaster-electric-guitar/512871
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    Last thing I'll tell you: Never sell your first guitar. Ask anyone who has, and they'll tell you how much they regret it.[/quote]

Well said!!

My first guitar was a Squire dark blue strat, with rosewood fretboard. I knew nothing of guitars, or getting them setup or upgraded at the time. The guitar was NEVER set up, but I wrote some good tunes on it. I sold it as I needed the money, and eventhough I probably would never play it now; I wish I didn't get rid of it! But my second guitar is a 2004 MIM Strat in Artic White! I love it! I upgraded the pickups to Fender 57/62s, upgraded all the wiring, pots, and caps to a custom Callahan Vintage tone. The Stevie Ray Vaughn product. No complaints! My guitar tech was blown away by how clean and vintage it sounds after upgrading. I also changed the pickguard to a mint green one, and made it look vintage myself, with some 1600 grit sandpaper etc. It looks and sounds amazing! Total cost to me maybe $500-600 and it looks and sounds as good or close to as good as a Custom Shop Fender Strat for 1/5th the price!
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    Last thing I'll tell you: Never sell your first guitar. Ask anyone who has, and they'll tell you how much they regret it.

Well said!!

My first guitar was a Squire dark blue strat, with rosewood fretboard. I knew nothing of guitars, or getting them setup or upgraded at the time. The guitar was NEVER set up, but I wrote some good tunes on it. I sold it as I needed the money, and eventhough I probably would never play it now; I wish I didn't get rid of it! But my second guitar is a 2004 MIM Strat in Artic White! I love it! I upgraded the pickups to Fender 57/62s, upgraded all the wiring, pots, and caps to a custom Callahan Vintage tone. The Stevie Ray Vaughn product. No complaints! My guitar tech was blown away by how clean and vintage it sounds after upgrading. I also changed the pickguard to a mint green one, and made it look vintage myself, with some 1600 grit sandpaper etc. It looks and sounds amazing! Total cost to me maybe $500-600 and it looks and sounds as good or close to as good as a Custom Shop Fender Strat for 1/5th the price![/quote]

Lets see some pictures!!!!
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options

I don't know about that...

My 1st was a P.O.S. Washburn Lyon bass...I have no regrets that I got rid of that one! I am glad that I still have my 2nd one though, a Japanese Fender PJ Bass from around '87-'88. Still sounds great and looks good too!

The only instrument I really regret letting go of was an Ibanez Soundgear bass from the mid '90s...that damn thing was fun to play and I haven't seen another with the same color since.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?