Thailand: Koh Samui or Krabi (Railay)

halvhalv Posts: 699
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife and I are taking a short trip over to Thailand and after spending most of our time up north she wants to have a few days of lying on the beach. Due to flights I've pretty much narrowed it down to Railay in Krabi or the island of Koh Samui. Anyone have any comments on these? I know Railay at Krabi is more laid back and Koh Samui is a bit more hectic (depending on the beach).

Any comments or hotel suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lanexang188lanexang188 Posts: 37
    edited October 2016
    i went t 2 years ago. I stayed at Chaweng Beach area. The island itself is not too big. There is one big looping road that winds around the entire island. I loved it. is quite beautiful. The color of the water is out of this world. Beach is calm...no big waves. Nite life is awesome...and great news...food/restaurant prices are VERY VERY reasonable (considering you're on a island). Only downside is that there can lots of people...everywhere...but if you're into nite life and just all around good time....... Can't wait to get back there....anyways... whatever you chose...cannot go wrong.. Good travels... one final thing..just do some research on latest developments..b/c they had huge flooding problem last year...
    Post edited by lanexang188 on
  • and if you hit a bar with a live band..(thai's singing western songs...don't even bother requesting a PJ song..they don't know Pearl Jam...however.. they can sing the living Sh@t out of the Cranberries "Zombie"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i was in kho tao and krabi a while ago ... both were nice ... i think kho samui will be more beachy ... although i suspect its super touristy ... try a smaller island ...
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Really appreciate it!
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Chaweng is the most touristy part of Samui and in my mind was pretty crap. My vote out of the 2 would go to Railay, but there are limited options for food etc there.
    I am on a flight to Bangkok tonignt and will be down to Koh Tao on Monday :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We went to Koh Lanta, had a fantastic time also really enjoyed our time in Bangkok. It's a fantastic country, enjoy it!