What music player do you use on your computer?

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So I've just bought a new computer, everything works fine, except the music player I used to use is not compatible with my new PC. I was using Musicmatch Jukebox, which then became sponsored by yahoo, then they abandoned so no updates were made. There were specific features which don't seem to be available in any of the alternative players I've tried, just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction to a player which will allow me to have a:

Separate playlist window from library window.
I routinely add random tracks into an ad hoc playlist by double-clicking songs in my library and in Windows Explorer. I do not want to have to drag tracks into a specific playlist that I must save and name, and I do not want whatever is playing to stop when I double-click a file. I need to see both the library and the playlist at the same time - I copied and pasted this from a thread I found elsewhere, which pretty much sums up what I'm looking for
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    itunes :(

i barely listen to music on the computer tho.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    windows: winamp (with ipod support)
    linux: amarok
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    WINAMP JOHN WITH THE DFX PLUG IN (SEPARATE)

YOU WOULD BE A FOOL IF YOU CHOSE ANYTHING ELSE
  • Brisk. wrote:

Ok I'll check it out, ta dude
    Brisk. wrote:
    WINAMP
    it really whips the llama's ass
  • CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    winamp is the best
  • Brisk. wrote:

Not liking the look of it Ed..........way too much shit going on for my liking, but you might be able to help me out......so with winamp can I customise it so:

. I can see an artist list that DOESN'T list every single song - I want to be able to click on the artist in the list and have it then open up to reveal the list of albums by that artist, then click on the album to reveal tracks on the album.

- just click on songs and have them added to the current playlist, without having to right click and enqueue them (or whatever it's called!)

Sorry I know I'm being fussy!
  • cendhcendh Posts: 214
    It depends on if you REALLY like to listen to music in a proper maner...
    For me, if you are into listening to it as it was ment to be... there's no doubt: ITUNES.

Some might say it's kind of complicated... but once you bother yourself to properly add every name of every song, all the album covers, their genders, etc. etc. etc. iTunes is unbeatable. One of the best music players of all times; one of the best softwares of all times.

Diego
  • cendh wrote:
    For me, if you are into listening to it as it was ment to be... there's no doubt: ITUNES.

Some might say it's kind of complicated... but once you bother yourself to properly add every name of every song, all the album covers, their genders, etc. etc. etc. iTunes is unbeatable. One of the best music players of all times; one of the best softwares of all times.

Is there even an option to view your playlist in itunes?
  • Here's a picture of what I was using:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=yahoo+ ... 29,r:7,s:0

So you clicked 'my music' on the left, then you had the artists list, you clicked on a particular artist, it brought up the window with the album pictures - you clicked on the album you wanted, then in the pane below you got a list of the songs, you double clicked the song and it added it to the list on the right hand side, and it played them in order - you didn't override each song every time you clicked a new one.
    cendh wrote:

Is there even an option to view your playlist in itunes?

Is it so good that it can even play Flac/SHN?

Why bother with having to convert everything to m4a or whatever crap it is now.
    Brisk. wrote:

Not liking the look of it Ed..........way too much shit going on for my liking, but you might be able to help me out......so with winamp can I customise it so:

. I can see an artist list that DOESN'T list every single song - I want to be able to click on the artist in the list and have it then open up to reveal the list of albums by that artist, then click on the album to reveal tracks on the album.

- just click on songs and have them added to the current playlist, without having to right click and enqueue them (or whatever it's called!)

Here's my Winamp setup at work:
    winamp.gif

I keep the player itself at the bottom, and open the media library only to switch albums. This should be exactly what you're asking for.
    edited February 2012
    Brisk. wrote:

You are using the crap skin man, should have select LARGE BENTO on set up.

You can move the columns to the left and right and also if you look at the playlist in the right you can click the arrows to expand it down.

winamp.gif

I keep the player itself at the bottom, and open the media library only to switch albums. This should be exactly what you're asking for.

You can also just drag the song into the playlist on the left or the right
  • Brisk. wrote:

winamp.gif

Looks cool, of course I have no clue how to make it look/work like that!
    Looks cool, of course I have no clue how to make it look/work like that!

So long as you're using Winamp 5 Pro (the version with media library), right click the main window, select options, then skins then Winamp Modern.

To change the colour scheme, right click again, then options then colour themes.

Set it to windowshade mode (the button between minimize and close), and resize/reposition to your preference.

The ML button opens your Media Library.

Oh, and play around with settings until you're satisfied.
  • Looks cool, of course I have no clue how to make it look/work like that!

So long as you're using Winamp 5 Pro (the version with media library), right click the main window, select options, then skins then Winamp Modern.

To change the colour scheme, right click again, then options then colour themes.

Set it to windowshade mode (the button between minimize and close), and resize/reposition to your preference.

The ML button opens your Media Library.

Oh, and play around with settings until you're satisfied.

Cheers, I've got it looking vaguely like that. I'm probably being stupid, but when I double click on a song to add it to the playlist, it adds the entire album that song is from to the playlist (why would anyone want that as the default setting?! How do I get it to just add the indiviudual song, and how can I just keep adding songs without it starting to play each new song as I add it?
  • I use iTunes as well. It's really not my favorite player or anything but there are just too many good features for me to be able to use with my iPhone and iPad that I'd be stupid to use something else. Being able to stream to my phone and iPad anywhere in the house and being able to control my main computer with my phone is something I do on a very regular basis.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    I use iTunes as well. It's really not my favorite player or anything but there are just too many good features for me to be able to use with my iPhone and iPad that I'd be stupid to use something else. Being able to stream to my phone and iPad anywhere in the house and being able to control my main computer with my phone is something I do on a very regular basis.

this. Plus i listen to the internet radio on itunes as well :thumbup:

I have also used Windows Media Player, it's ok.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC