Glasgow! Glasgow! Glasgow!

agsilver78agsilver78 Posts: 9
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I remember a very particular day in the year 2000 well.
It was the day PJ came to Glasgow, after a wait of eight (or was it nine!) years...

We were so loud you could've heard us in Seattle - and Ed seemed to appreciate the noise. "Jesus christ... You could give a guy a big head..." he said after the umpteenth call for more.

So please, guys, come back. We'll make just as much of a fuss as the last time you were here... If not more so!

Not that I mind travelling to Dublin, or even France or Spain, but it would be so nice to give you a proper Scottish welcome again!!!
Reading, England, 1995; SECC, Glasgow, 2000; O2, London, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    agsilver78 wrote:
    I remember a very particular day in the year 2000 well.
    It was the day PJ came to Glasgow, after a wait of eight (or was it nine!) years...

We were so loud you could've heard us in Seattle - and Ed seemed to appreciate the noise. "Jesus christ... You could give a guy a big head..." he said after the umpteenth call for more.

So please, guys, come back. We'll make just as much of a fuss as the last time you were here... If not more so!

Not that I mind travelling to Dublin, or even France or Spain, but it would be so nice to give you a proper Scottish welcome again!!!

PJ don't dare go to Scotland anymore - not after what happened at the Astoria! They are afraid of what the 'proper Scottish welcome' could be!
  • please,please,please come to Glasgow.

If you're going to do Europe, do it properly, especially if its going to be another 6 years!.
  • redrock wrote:
    PJ don't dare go to Scotland anymore - not after what happened at the Astoria! They are afraid of what the 'proper Scottish welcome' could be!

???

what happeneed at Astoria that would make them not want to go to Scotland?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ???

what happeneed at Astoria that would make them not want to go to Scotland?

Kilt was lifted.... things were seen.... it was messy... Ed laughed his heed off!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • No more talk of silliness at Astoria - we'd just love to be able cheer their arrival like crazy, sing along and go home with a night of their tunes ringing in our ears!
    agsilver78 wrote:
    No more talk of silliness at Astoria - we'd just love to be able cheer their arrival like crazy, sing along and go home with a night of their tunes ringing in our ears!

Keep your fingers crossed. I'm also hoping for more UK dates.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    agsilver78 wrote:
    No more talk of silliness at Astoria - we'd just love to be able cheer their arrival like crazy, sing along and go home with a night of their tunes ringing in our ears!

it wasn't sillyness... it happened!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    it wasn't sillyness... it happened!!

It was actually funny. Though I didn't get 'front view', I got the backside when he 'readjusted' himself. We all had a great laugh and IScotID is now famous.
  • I Scot IDI Scot ID Posts: 275
    hahahahaha, just found this thread!!

Em, uhhh, oof.....i like to think my antics would attract the band back to the promised land!

The band know only too well just how mental us Scots are and how we give an amazing reception and keep on rocking even after they band have left.

Redrock: My sincere apologies for your not seeing the front :( haha
  • vamosvamos Posts: 4
    Keep hearing rumours about dates being added before Dublin. Glasgow, Manchester and London were the ones I heard from a record shop owner who knows a few promoters etc but you can never tell. They do have a month between US leg 1 and Europe so fingers crossed. Maybe were waiting for response to new album before comitting to any more.
  • shmikeshmike Posts: 216
    vamos wrote:
    Keep hearing rumours about dates being added before Dublin. Glasgow, Manchester and London were the ones I heard from a record shop owner who knows a few promoters etc but you can never tell. They do have a month between US leg 1 and Europe so fingers crossed. Maybe were waiting for response to new album before comitting to any more.

wont happen...They wont play anywhere before a major festival-they wont be allowed to in the contract for Reading/Leeds....but another rumour has them coming to the UK / Europe in early-mid 2007.....now that I can see happening
    Living the dream in 2006 - Astoria, Reading & Prague
    And 2007 - Wembley

With alchohol in leaf and tree it must be natures plan, for there to be to some degree...alchohol in man
    Quote from Mike during Jools interview:

"One last question - do you think you could come back a bit more often in future please?!

I'm sure we will. We'll make it across the pond a few more times after this next sojourn...I can't believe I just used that word! Is that good? It's my five-dollar word or, should I say, five pound word?!"

A few more times... and ..after this next sojourn... I may be reading a lot into this (too optimistic) but that may mean a bit more than the UK and in a not too distant future!
  • shmikeshmike Posts: 216
    All we can do is hope.....*sigh*.......and get on with spending cash we dont have jetting all over Europe THIS YEAR......:D
    Living the dream in 2006 - Astoria, Reading & Prague
    And 2007 - Wembley

With alchohol in leaf and tree it must be natures plan, for there to be to some degree...alchohol in man
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Hear, Hear...been looking for an excuse to go visit Scotland (just spend a miserable grey day in Glasgow....looong ago), please give me one :)

PS: I'm allowed up there ain't I? Auld Alliance and all ..
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I lived in Scotland for 5 years up until a year ago and I know only too well how appreciative Scottish crowds can be so to see PJ play there would be very cool.

I'm sure if there is a further tour next year then Glasgow and maybe even Aberdeen will be on the agenda.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • agsilver78agsilver78 Posts: 9
    You know, I'd not even have to travel far if they did come to the Granite City.
    I tried and tried for Dublin and Paris tickets (travel further from there's a bit expensive with the mortgage kicking around!) but to no avail...

Radio 1 session last night was amazing though - roll-on Jools and Letterman (via Sky and the net!)...

By the way, some record!
  • vamosvamos Posts: 4
    It probably would be a grey day but I'm sure you'd feel welcome. Don't go much myself being from the far North. I hope there's plenty fingers crossed for another ''sojourn'' as Mike put it so eloquently put it.