Underrated bands

pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
edited February 2013 in Other Music
Saw the thread for overrated artists so I thought I'd start one up for underrated bands. As far as I'm concerned, the most underrated band around is Franz Ferdinand. Love this Scottish band but have barely seen their name mentioned on this board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Blue October
    Cold War Kids
    Barenaked Ladies
    Brendan Benson
    Toadies
    Burden Brothers
    Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited February 2012
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Saw the thread for overrated artists so I thought I'd start one up for underrated bands. As far as I'm concerned, the most underrated band around is Franz Ferdinand. Love this Scottish band but have barely seen their name mentioned on this board.

their first album, (self titled), is excellent. I bought it on a wim after hearing it played at Hot topic in the mall. back in 2005 I think.

A bar I go to still plays "this fire" in rotation on their satelite system.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Toadies (Love this band! one of my faves- seen em many times, nice and down to earth band members if you get to meet them after a show too).
    Blue October (seen these guys a few times, their from here) The acoustic show for the "Ugly side" tour was phenominal.
    Cold War Kids (Rico got me into them) They have like a Jack white/ Cage the elephant sound vocally. Love "robbers and cowards."

I'll add:

Reverend Horton Heat
    Joe Bonamassa (is worth a listen if you like Blues rock).
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Garbage
    Skunk Anansie
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    red mos wrote:
    pjamaholic wrote:

their first album, (self titled), is excellent. I bought it on a wim after hearing it played at Hot topic in the mall. back in 2005 I think.

A bar I go to still plays "this fire" in rotation on their satelite system.
    Sick of them, they got over played here in the UK and it drove me mad! Overrated!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Well, anything played too much can get in your craw, but I still dont think they're overrated. A few of their songs have been played here, but not so much that you'd get sick of them. I think one of the most overplayed bands in this country would have to be Coldplay.
    Yeah same in UK, can't stand them either. Another one who's underrated Mark Lanegan and The Gutter Twins, I saw The Gutter Twins in Sheffield a while ago and it was massively underattended, on the other hand I went to see Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell last summer and the place was bigger and rammed full, in my opinion Gutter Twins music is far far better.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Danko Jones
    Sloan
    Live
    The Lemonheads
    City and Colour
    Mother Mother
    Teagan and Sara
    IMO
  • Local H
    The Wildhearts
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Pond
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    JJ Grey and Mofro
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    John Zorn - The man has a wealth of work that crosses genres, styles and I'm sure everyone could find an album/piece of work they really enjoyed by him.
  • CAKE
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Mogwai
    the National
    Minus the Bear
    Gaslight Anthem
    St. Vincent
    Two Door Cinema Club
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • The Tragically Hip

They have been around a long time and have a large following... but it is my humble opinion that they should have a massive following. Too many people have missed the boat with these guys! They are one of the best.

April Wine

Another Canadian band that did not get the international love. Wicked band.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • I agree with JJ Grey and Mofro. I also have to say Dawes. They are an amazing band and they put on one hell of a show.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    I would also like to throw Helmet in there too. Meantime, Betty and Aftertaste are brilliant albums.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Mogwai

:thumbup:
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    niall wrote:
    I would also like to throw Helmet in there too. Meantime, Betty and Aftertaste are brilliant albums.

Love the early stuff too, like Born Annoying and Strap It On.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    X
    Morphine (majorly)
    The Hold Steady
    and personally, I think Counting Crows are a tad underrated. They've got some great stuff outside of "August and Everything After" and that album is gold from start to finish.

Mark Lanegan as well.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    niall wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I listened to a bit of Betty today and had forgotten how good it was.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Tragically Hip

They have been around a long time and have a large following... but it is my humble opinion that they should have a massive following. Too many people have missed the boat with these guys! They are one of the best.

Agreed. A buddy of mine once called them the biggest undiscovered band in the world, and he's right. The fact that they routinely sell out large arenas and headline massive outdoor festivals in Canada, and then end up playing small clubs and theatres in the U.S. is baffling. I still maintain that the song "Ahead By a Century" should have made them worldwide superstars back in 1996. That tune has "hit single" written all over it, but unfortunately their American record company at the time (Atlantic) totally dropped the ball and the song received very little radio play south of the border except for a few college stations. The Hip have toured the States consistently since the late 80s, they've played SNL, toured with the Rolling Stones, Page & Plant, and The Who, and they have a well earned reputation as one of the best live bands on the planet. And yet people still have no clue who they are outside of Canada and a few border States like Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, and Minnesota. It's bizarre. I hear they have quite a following in Texas though, which is even weirder. Anyways, they've got a new album coming out this year, which means they'll be on the road again soon. Can't wait!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Post Rock genre (Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Caspian etc. )

Mark Lanegan
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    red mos wrote:
    Toadies (Love this band! one of my faves- seen em many times, nice and down to earth band members if you get to meet them after a show too).
    Blue October (seen these guys a few times, their from here) The acoustic show for the "Ugly side" tour was phenominal.
    Cold War Kids (Rico got me into them) They have like a Jack white/ Cage the elephant sound vocally. Love "robbers and cowards."

I'll add:

Reverend Horton Heat
    Joe Bonamassa (is worth a listen if you like Blues rock).

Good choices! :thumbup:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    Mark Lanegan. I have no idea how this guy stays under the radar.
    GTHobbes wrote:

Yeah me neither. However, I kind of like that he is low key. New album is great just as I expected.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    GTHobbes wrote:

Yeah me neither. However, I kind of like that he is low key. New album is great just as I expected.
    Going to see him 10th March, he only does small gigs, just how I like em.
    mh210105 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    GTHobbes wrote:

Going to see him 10th March, he only does small gigs, just how I like em.

I would love it if he played somewhere close by so I could get a chance to see him.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Great Band! They put on a great live show too.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited February 2012
    Mark Lanegan
    Centro-matic
    Lucero
    Timesbold
    Voivod
    Glossary
    The Walkabouts
    Bloodkin
    Mekons
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com