Options

Framing posters

edited February 2012 in The Porch
I just got my first poster and im looking to frame it. In your opinions is it relatively easy to do it yourself or is best left to professionals. Im looking to do it pretty inexpensively
5/21/10 M.S.G
5/18/10 Newark
9/27/09 Philly Spectrum
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    I like Hobby Lobby but catch when they have 60% off framing.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I know a lot of people on the boards here take their posters to a professional, but I just buy a $20 frame from Target and some matting from a store like Michaels or something and just do it myself. They come out looking pretty nice, I think.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Framing posters can be extremely pricey - I know because I have eight of them framed. The first print I took to Aaron brothers to have it custom framed with no matte and it cost $110.00. The second print, I had Aaron Brothers custom cut the matte, and then I bought the frame, and that cost me around $65.00

Then I found a place in Venice, CA. called Universal Framing, on Lincoln - and they charged $50.00 to matte and frame and did a far superior job than Aaron bros. and myself. I'm not sure what my point is here, but maybe, the big places like Aaron Bros? Yeah, avoid them. Because they'll say they're giving you 60% but they are L-Y-I-N-G. Search for a mom and pop place nearby and keep searching until you find someone that's cost effective. These Precious, precious prints, that are so precious to me, I kiss them every time I walk by them. I wink at them when we spot each other across the room. They have seen a lot of girlfriends come and go... women who predicted that they would end up in storage if the relationship progressed to a place of cohabitation. I would smile while knowing all along that their days were numbered. I also took comfort in knowing that the dumping would come swift and easy... because my Pearl Jam posters don't answer to NOBODY.

Also keep in mind, if you're going to do it yourself, that if there's a matte involved, it can be really complicated to get things lined up properly. Don't damage the poster while you're doing this. In fact, know what? Just take it to a professional instead. However, if you decide to go sans matte, check out Amazon and enter in the dimensions of your poster.... chances are, you'll find it there for an extremely buy-able price.

Hope this helps.... let me know if you have any questions.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    doing it "right" is over $100.. likely over $150-200 if you do it "right"... whether you go to a local frame shop, a chain like michaels or through someone here on the pit

if you don't care so much and just want it framed... then do it yourself
  • Options
    doing it "right" is over $100.. likely over $150-200 if you do it "right"... whether you go to a local frame shop, a chain like michaels or through someone here on the pit

I agree do it right and take it to a professional. I highly recommend getting the museum glass.
  • Options

I would like to respectfully add that I did it "right" for $50.00 and for you to insinuate differently is hurtful.
  • Options
    Thanks guys given me some things to think.about. I am gonna check out some of the stores around here
    5/21/10 M.S.G
    5/18/10 Newark
    9/27/09 Philly Spectrum
  • Options
    True custom framing is too rich for my blood.

I go to Michael's and get a decent frame and just get it custom matted. It costs around $60 total and is as good as the custom framing they do. The only thing is if you have an odd shaped poster you might have quite a bit of matting, but my Knoxville '98 is like that and with a black frame and black matting I think it looks pretty awesome.
  • Options

I would like to respectfully add that I did it "right" for $50.00 and for you to insinuate differently is hurtful.

really?? would you like a tissue? ;)

ask any framing expert... which i am not

and they will explain to you the errors of what you did for $50

your piece of art is not protected
  • Options

No, not really --- I was poking fun at you for taking yourself too seriously. My prints look amazing and I'm happy with them. There's not an expert out there that can tell me differently, but I imagine there are plenty of experts who can help you with the mild case of pompous assholery you have going on ;)

Don't be scared.... it's totally curable.
  • Options
    I'm currently teaching myself to custom frame for the above reasons. There are sites like americanframing.com (sp?) who can set you up cheaply if you're willing to measure and do the assembly yourself. Does anyone know good resources for cheap uncut acid free mats or frames?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    No, not really --- I was poking fun at you for taking yourself too seriously. My prints look amazing and I'm happy with them. There's not an expert out there that can tell me differently, but I imagine there are plenty of experts who can help you with the mild case of pompous assholery you have going on ;)

wow. :lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

you obviously don't know me... i've never taken anything seriously... especially when dealing on the interwebs

although i've heard the ahole complement before... so thanks for that

I'm glad you're happy with your high quality $50 frame job... i'm sure it's quite impressive... why don't you share some pictures?? i never once questioned how awesome they look... and I'm sure mom doesn't mind them hanging on her basement walls ... definitely looking forward to the pics

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    popcorn.gif
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

:clap:

But what if you want to hang the poster on the roof of your house? IS IT PROTECTED???

:lol:
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    81 wrote:
    popcorn.gif

2uj2omd.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    patrickcarsonpatrickcarson Posts: 64
    edited February 2012

you obviously don't know me... i've never taken anything seriously... especially when dealing on the interwebs

I'm glad you're happy with your high quality $50 frame job... i'm sure it's quite impressive... why don't you share some pictures?? i never once questioned how awesome they look... and I'm sure mom doesn't mind them hanging on her basement walls ... definitely looking forward to the pics

Okay... I'll share my lousy $50.00 frame jobs with you. I get the a-hole compliment all the time too. Difference is, I make it look good.

Tell your mom I said hi.

To the OP, I've also included a shot of the Aaron Brothers print job I did myself.... let me know if you have any questions.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/patrickdamon1/
    Post edited by patrickcarson on
  • Options
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659

Okay... I'll share my lousy $50.00 frame jobs with you. I get the a-hole compliment all the time as well, difference is, I make it look good.

Tell your mom I said hi.

I think they look nice.
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay... I'll share my lousy $50.00 frame jobs with you. I get the a-hole compliment all the time too. Difference is, I make it look good.

Tell your mom I said hi.

To the OP, I've also included a shot of the Aaron Brothers print job I did myself.... let me know if you have any questions.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/patrickdamon1/[/quote]

They do look pretty nice. I wish I could frame for $50. My concerns with framing include protecting the poster from fading. Were you able to get these framed with uv protective glass at the $50 price? That would be a great deal if you did.
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options

Tell your mom I said hi.

They do look pretty nice. I wish I could frame for $50. My concerns with framing include protecting the poster from fading. Were you able to get these framed with uv protective glass at the $50 price? That would be a great deal if you did.[/quote]

That's totally a valid concern but I've been told you only need to worry if your prints are going to be anywhere near direct sunlight, in which case they could fade quickly. I'm not stating anything factually, this is only what I've been told. Mine do not have UV Protective glass.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Look around and find a framer that will work with you. I just framed lots for a great price due to their discount on black frames. They buy in bulk and pass the savings on. All were under way $100 and that included conservation glass. I know it depends on where you live, but it definitely pays to shop around. The big stores aren't good imo...find a local person to work with if you can. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Oh 81 you do make me chuckle every now & then.

I think the framing looks fine. Again do what you want to do. I would have added some color mats but hey that's me. I'm a gambler....Mr. Vegas if you will.

DSC04691.jpg

DSC04689.jpg
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    shadowcast wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Oh 81 you do make me chuckle every now & then.

I think the framing looks fine. Again do what you want to do. I would have added some color mats but hey that's me. I'm a gambler....Mr. Vegas if you will.

DSC04691.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

LOVE the striped mattes...shadowcast!!!
    REALLY NICE use of color to make the posters POP
    I like the MINI-SETLIST in there too.
    Is that a wristband in the red poster??

Here's a couple of my framed posters:

SDC11618-1.jpg

SDC11579-1.jpg

SDC11644.jpg

SDC11691.jpg
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Thanks yours look sharp as well. I am actually going to have my Klausen PJ20 poster done the way you have it. Yes that is the wrist band from Bonnaroo.
  • Options
    That detroit frame job is SAWEET..... So is the PJ twenty!
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    edited February 2012
    Even though you wanna keep it inexpensive, I still say go to a local frame shop for sure... NOT Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You'll eventually get a print framed at a great frame shop and if you go cheap, well, you'll be pissed you took the cheap way out... Always get conservation/museum glass. It's flawless. Also, don't do American Frame. Their stuff sucks. They use acrylic/plexi glass. It's awful. Basically, I'm telling you to spend $200-300. Hahahaha. Do it right! Just sayin...
    Post edited by AtlantaJammer on
  • Options
    shadowcast wrote:
    DSC04691.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

is that first one from teh Victoria Secrets collection. :P

seriously....i need to get that bonnaroo poster...i want to frame it with a ticket on each side of the poster and give it to my brother.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:
    DSC04691.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

is that first one from teh Victoria Secrets collection. :P

seriously....i need to get that bonnaroo poster...i want to frame it with a ticket on each side of the poster and give it to my brother.
    HA HA HA...I like the pink stripes. That might be the only poster you canpull it off with it.

Bonnaroo is in my top 3 for shows seen. I might have an extra poster if your interested I will look for it(it was a haze but for some reason i remember buying two). Face value of course. I think it was $35 or $40.