Vday proposals..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Bad idea?

I know I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me, but probably later this year, summer or fall.

I think she might be talking up Valentines day, almost like she might be thinking I might do it.. but Valentines Day is everyone's day, right? It would cheapen the event I think.

For me it's a matter of time. I still have some family I want her to be introduced to. I also want her to get over some things she's going through for herself now.. I know it will happen, but later this year feels right to me..

Just don't want her to start thinking I'm delaying.

Ladies, you wouldn't be expecting something, would you? Say a year and a half into a relationship where both partners have talked about growing old together?.. All of her friends got married after about a year of dating, so I'm not sure what she's thinking. :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I would say don't do it. Its too ...cliche. have y'all talked bout it before? Have you been leading her up to something exciting for Valentines? If not, then I would not be expecting anything except a nice dinner and something sweet.

If you think she's the one- but you are not ready, then wait until you are. Don't be pressured to do something just because of the day. Make it special when you want it to be.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    March 31st @ Alive One.

that's when's i'm popping the question
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    March 31st @ Alive One.

Congrats!

Yeah, wanna make it a different day, even if its just random. Summertime feels right.
    vduboise wrote:
    I would say don't do it. Its too ...cliche. have y'all talked bout it before? Have you been leading her up to something exciting for Valentines? If not, then I would not be expecting anything except a nice dinner and something sweet.

If you think she's the one- but you are not ready, then wait until you are. Don't be pressured to do something just because of the day. Make it special when you want it to be.
    No, I haven't.. I just told her to take the evening off of work.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    don't do it.
    conman wrote:
    don't do it.
    Is that an answer in general? :lol:
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    we get an extra day in February this year.. kind of special.. just sayin..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    edited February 2012
    vduboise wrote:
    have y'all talked bout it before?
    We've joked about children names. I know she'd say yes, but do you think I should ask her if she'd marry me before I ask her if she will marry me?
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Caveeze wrote:
    Brilliant!!!

We could celebrate our anniversary every 4 years!!! :lol:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    conman wrote:
    don't do it.
    Is that an answer in general? :lol:
    yes
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Caveeze wrote:
    Brilliant!!!

We could celebrate our anniversary every 4 years!!! :lol:
    I am here for the people... :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:

1/4 of the gifts...brilliant
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    March 31st @ Alive One.

Congrats!

Yeah, wanna make it a different day, even if its just random. Summertime feels right.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I think you've answered it at the start of your question. If you are planning to ask later in the year then Valentine's Day is not the right day for you. Like you said, it's everyone's day so it's kind of obvious and a bit of a cliché. The biggest problem I have with Valentine's Day is that it's become a day when society says you have to be romantic. This also leads to the situation where some guys think they only have to be romantic on this one day of the year.

You need to be sure that you're ready to ask - and your girlfriend is ready to be asked - and if that means waiting until later in the year then that's what you should do. Once she has met the rest of your family and got through whatever she's dealing with then you'll know when it's the time. Why not pick a day that means something special to the two of you? (like the anniversary of when you first met/first date etc) That way it would be a lot more special
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Here's another dilemma I have..

Do I ask the parents for their blessing?

Here's my problem with that.. Her parents are separated, but live together. They both LOVE me, but the the Dad's English isn't so well.. and more of my concern, they would both leak before I popped the question. They both like to joke and talk. They would never keep it a secret. :?
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Wait wait wait.....I'm suppose to remember the date I proposed and then celebrate that TOO???

Fuck that! :lol:

Anyway, I asked my lady to marry me while on a trip up to Sydney, and this was just 2 months ago, but damn if I could tell you the actual date! :lol:
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Caveeze wrote:

Traditionally, can't women ask the man to marry them on the 29th? :D Maybe that's what she's aiming for!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Thorns2010 wrote:
    Wait wait wait.....I'm suppose to remember the date I proposed and then celebrate that TOO???

Anyway, I asked my lady to marry me while on a trip up to Sydney, and this was just 2 months ago, but damn if I could tell you the actual date! :lol:
    March 4th... celebrate it every year for the past 15... also celebrate the day we met...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • it doesnt matter..when you proposal...

but how you do it...

good luck...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Wait till she asks you.
    didnt you see the other threat...chicks chasing guys? its all turned around man...2012! ;)

OH, and NO -- never on V-day.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    get married on Vday
    you'll never forget your anniversary
    and
    one gift for two occasions
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    it doesnt matter..when you proposal...

but how you do it...

good luck...

^^^ this.

Girls LOVE to talk about 'the day we met' 'the day he proposed' 'the day we got married' 'the day I had the baby'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Thorns2010 wrote:

Does anyone remember when my husband proposed to me? We posted about it on here, but I'll be damned if I can remember the date :? :lol: I know it was September something :shifty:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Thorns2010 wrote:

Does anyone remember when my husband proposed to me? We posted about it on here, but I'll be damned if I can remember the date :? :lol: I know it was September something :shifty:
    Worst day of my life.....

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    it doesnt matter..when you proposal...

but how you do it...

good luck...

THIS!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Jennytree wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

Traditionally, can't women ask the man to marry them on the 29th? :D Maybe that's what she's aiming for!

Yes----I have heard that.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Lizard wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

Yes----I have heard that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216492/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless