Options

Happy Birthday, Daddy ♥

Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
In light yesterday's events, I thought I'd share something on here that I posted to Facebook..

Today would be my Dad's 73 birthday if he was here with us now. He died 8 years ago after a long battle with cancer. He had been diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia back when I was only 16 years old. They gave him 3 months to live, but he refused to believe that and fought for his life. He got into clinical medical trials and did all kinds of treatments to see if it could stave off the disease.

Throughout his cancer, he suffered many setbacks and almost died on the table a few times over. But still, he lived on...to see me graduate high school, go to college, graduate college, walk me down the isle, plant trees in my garden and see his legacy continue on with the birth of my Bean, who he helped to name. He lived, out of sheer determination, strength of will and absolute love for me and my Mom.

His determination, his never accepting 'no', his unwavering all-encompassing love are the examples that I try to live my life by. Life is too short to hold back anything. Life is too precious to waste not fighting for what is good and right and true. I have been blessed with the most amazing gift...years with my Daddy.

Because of that blessing I wanted to pay it forward and got involved with Wishlist Foundation. I want to give back to the world and people around me in thanks to God and the Universe that had been so kind to me time and again by giving me those extra years with him.

My Daddy taught me that only the true rewards in life worth having come from hard work and tough decisions; that all we really have is our integrity and morals when we leave this world, and our legacy is the memories of those that we touch in our lives... and really, all we can do is try, and never give up. ♥

Oh dear Dad, can you see me now? I am myself, like you somehow...

Happy Birthday, Daddy.

I love you ♥
Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
♥♥♥
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Happy Birthday to Foxy Mop's Foxy Daddy :)

- all my love to you Laura :)
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    Your dad did an awesoness awesome job :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    your dad sounds a lot like how my mom was when she was diagnosed

happy birthday to your dad, laura
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    'Happy Birthday' to your daddy Laura...a very wonderful and special man gave life to a really wonderful, loving, generous and caring daughter.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Happy Birthday...and thank you!
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    RKCNDY wrote:
    'Happy Birthday' to your daddy Laura...a very wonderful and special man gave life to a really wonderful, loving, generous and caring daughter.

.........and it continues with Bean :)
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJPixie wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

.........and it continues with Bean :)

yay! for Bean!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to your dad Laura... I hope you take solace in knowing that he would be amazingly in awe of what you have done.

We are.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to your dad Laura... I hope you take solace in knowing that he would be amazingly in awe of what you have done.

We are.

+1 :thumbup: :wave:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    You dad was a very strong person indeed.
    thanks for sharing.

happy birthday to him.....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Happy Birthday to Laura's Daddy, he'd be really proud of you like we are! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Happy Birthday to your dad.... thanks for sharing your story. That was beautiful.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    I am sure your dad is very proud of what you have become! Though he died too early, I am happy he got to witness so many of your important life events!
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Happy Birthday to your Pops, Laura!! He sounds like he was a pretty amazing guy.
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    My Daddy taught me that only the true rewards in life worth having come from hard work and tough decisions; that all we really have is our integrity and morals when we leave this world, and our legacy is the memories of those that we touch in our lives... and really, all we can do is try, and never give up. ♥

:D

His legacy lives on through you my friend. Thank you for all that you do for so many. And thank you for the incredible help you have given me. ;)

♥ ♥ ♥
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    His determination, his never accepting 'no', his unwavering all-encompassing love are the examples that I try to live my life by. Life is too short to hold back anything. Life is too precious to waste not fighting for what is good and right and true. I have been blessed with the most amazing gift...years with my Daddy.
    Your post made me cry but in a good way. Happy Birthday, Papa Mop.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Happy Birthday to your dad Laura....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”