tax question.....

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
If ya dont mind,

I paid out of pocket for truck driving school. Where on the 1040 do or can I deduct this expense? Under the education section or the job related expenses?

Much appreciated.

edit to fix a spelling error. maybe I shouldn't use the edu deduction!!!!! :mrgreen:
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    have you received a 1099T ?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    have you received a 1099T ?
    not yet if I am getting one.
    Assume thats education related form?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    that's a good question....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

how is that supposed to help mickey??? :x
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

hes not. That baby has been a pain in my ass since, around mid august. :mrgreen:

mickeyrat wrote:
    81 wrote:

hes not. That baby has been a pain in my ass since, around mid august. :mrgreen:

that's you own damn fault. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    from what i'm seeing, it's not looking promising.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Education expenses incurred to enter a new profession are not deductible, however, you may qualify for an education tax credit, which is better then a deduction in most cases.
    there should be info on the school's website re: tax credit
    its a vocational type school. Well more specifically , its a school designed to get you your CDL. But some of the students get gov(federal,state,local) money to attend as a vocational rehab type thing. I call it a trade school. We're taught the basics on driving a truck.

the IRS has an 800 number you can call to talk to somebody...in theory, they should know the answer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:
    the IRS has an 800 number you can call to talk to somebody...in theory, they should know the answer.

"why don't you just tell me the name of the movie you'd like to see..."
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

get him jeags!!!!!
    You would think, a dude who wastes as much time out of his day HERE, would be willing to call for me. Jeez. Kids these days.

:mrgreen:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited January 2012
    mickeyrat wrote:
    its a vocational type school. Well more specifically , its a school designed to get you your CDL. But some of the students get gov(federal,state,local) money to attend as a vocational rehab type thing. I call it a trade school. We're taught the basics on driving a truck.

I'd wait and see if you receive a 1099-T. If not, I'd contact the school to ask about the tax CREDIT.

It is very unlikely that the tuition is deductible as an itemized deduction.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    Check out this link
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch ... 1000178335

You may be able to deduct qualified education expenses paid during the year for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent(s). You cannot claim this deduction if your filing status is married filing separately or if another person can claim an exemption for you as a dependent on his or her tax return. The qualified expenses must be for higher education, as explained later under Qualified Education Expenses .

Eligible educational institution.   An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.
      Certain educational institutions located outside the United States also participate in the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs.

What is the tax benefit of the tuition and fees deduction.   The tuition and fees deduction can reduce the amount of your income subject to tax by up to $4,000.
      This deduction is taken as an adjustment to income. This means you can claim this deduction even if you do not itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). This deduction may be beneficial to you if you do not qualify for the American opportunity or lifetime learning credits.

But you should have received the 1098-t form from your school in the mail.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
    so...on Schedule A, there is a line to enter your tax prep costs for deduction.....

can i charge myself a fee then claim it next year as income and deduct my expenses agaist it :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg