I keep getting these letters from the government..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Adressed not to me, but the "resident" at my current address that state, by law, I am required to fill out..

I looked through the questionaire and it just wants too much personal information, my cell number, how much I make, how many rooms are in my house, what time I leave for work in the morning, etc.. Really???

It's like 40 questions long too..

I'm currently renting a condo and my lease is up in a few months, I may not even stay here.

What's the worst they can do if I keep tearing the letters up?

I got a letter saying I would be getting the questions in a few days. I got the question letter, and just two days later another letter asking if I haven't to hurry and fill out the questions..

What the fuck? :-x

I pay my taxes. I do my civic duties (a month as a juror for a trial).. I am not filling this out. They can come arrest me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Hmmm. It doesn't say ANYWHERE what it's for?
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It says for community planning, roads, schools, etc.. :?

Federal Government?

Federal Government?
    Yes.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    You might want to let the police know.
    What is the return address? Is it a local return or somewhere else?
    ELITIST FUK
  • They do have a thing called the "Census"....so what you have sounds like a scam!
    Sound Advice Amphitheatre - Apr 11,2003, House Of Blues Orlando - Apr 12, 2003, St. Pete Times Forum - Apr 13, 2003,Silver Spurs Arena - Oct 08, 2004, Cruzan Amphitheatre - Jun 11, 2008, St. Pete Times, Forum - Jun 12, 2008, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

SD48277 wrote:
    You might want to let the police know.
    What is the return address? Is it a local return or somewhere else?
    This is what I get..

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-i-have-to-re ... he-acs.htm

I'm not telling the government or anyone what time I leave for work and how long it takes me to get to work, among other things..
    I asked a Government Teacher

"sounds like census info...but I'd be leery of handing out cell number which is irrelevant. Is there a contact number that could be verified before providing the info? They could also check with House Rep or Senator to see if it's legit."

"sounds like census info...but I'd be leery of handing out cell number which is irrelevant. Is there a contact number that could be verified before providing the info? They could also check with House Rep or Senator to see if it's legit."
    I don't have a land line, so my cell is the only option I have.. and I have limited weekday minutes. I'm not giving it to anyone but family and friends.

Sounds like if I don't respond, they won't bother me.

If any strangers show up, I just won't answer the door.. What are they going to do, break in and torture the questions out of me?

I don't have a land line, so my cell is the only option I have.. and I have limited weekday minutes. I'm not giving it to anyone but family and friends.

Then don't do it. I'd just shoot an email to a Representative or Senator.

Edit: Or just do nothing. I would wager nothing will happen.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    It seems to me that there are other ways to get information with regards to city planning, etc. Sounds shady.
    You could always fill out the questionaire with false information. ;)
    ELITIST FUK
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Asking what time you leave for work sounds EXTREMELY fishy. I would definitely do some checking or ask the local police about it before you do anything.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Asking what time you leave for work sounds EXTREMELY fishy. I would definitely do some checking or ask the local police about it before you do anything.
    It's legit, but shouldn't be.

I'm not giving out this info and I'm not wasting an hour of my time filling it out.
    It's legit, but shouldn't be.

I'm not giving out this info and I'm not wasting an hour of my time filling it out.

:clap:
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Don't fill it out.

Its definitely some trying to get your information.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    It's a questionnaire from the Census Bureau. I worked for them in 2009 and 2010.

While most people think that the Census only occurs every 10 years, there are other surveys that are done ongoing. Some of the questions may sound weird but there are reasons behind them. For instance, they ask you things like what time you leave for work (to determine the average time spent commuting and what an area's transportation needs might be) and how many rooms are in your house (to calculate growth of a neighborhood which helps determine the need for schools, shopping, roads, utilities). It's research. It has to get done somehow.

An extremely small percentage of people get this survey every year. Most people will never have to fill one out. If you get it, you will probably never get it again. There are a few other surveys that are different from the 10 year Census. I got one about employment stuff about 20 years ago.

I can tell you from my employment experience that if you don't answer the survey they will keep sending it. Eventually they will send someone to your door. If you refuse to talk to that person, they will send someone else.

If you have your doubts about it, contact the Census Bureau and make sure that it's on the up and up. As long as it is, then your information is protected.

People worry WAY too much about giving information to the Census Bureau. As far as civic duties go, this is a little easier than spending a month on a jury.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    It's a questionnaire from the Census Bureau. I worked for them in 2009 and 2010.

While most people think that the Census only occurs every 10 years, there are other surveys that are done ongoing. Some of the questions may sound weird but there are reasons behind them. For instance, they ask you things like what time you leave for work (to determine the average time spent commuting and what an area's transportation needs might be) and how many rooms are in your house (to calculate growth of a neighborhood which helps determine the need for schools, shopping, roads, utilities). It's research. It has to get done somehow.

An extremely small percentage of people get this survey every year. Most people will never have to fill one out. If you get it, you will probably never get it again. There are a few other surveys that are different from the 10 year Census. I got one about employment stuff about 20 years ago.

I can tell you from my employment experience that if you don't answer the survey they will keep sending it. Eventually they will send someone to your door. If you refuse to talk to that person, they will send someone else.

If you have your doubts about it, contact the Census Bureau and make sure that it's on the up and up. As long as it is, then your information is protected.

People worry WAY too much about giving information to the Census Bureau. As far as civic duties go, this is a little easier than spending a month on a jury.
    Honestly, I'm not concerned about my confidentiality.. I just don't want to take the time to fill the thing out.. My lease is up in 2 months and I may not even stay here. Nothing I say is going to help them.. They can find other means to collect this data. I'm not writing down when I leave for work everyday.

Says they only send people out 21% of the time.. I don't get home until almost 7 every night. Would the government do things off business hours?

If they send another one and I decide to fill it out, I'm not answering all of the questions. Definitely not giving out my cell number, and my work hours always change.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Honestly, I'm not concerned about my confidentiality.. I just don't want to take the time to fill the thing out.. My lease is up in 2 months and I may not even stay here. Nothing I say is going to help them.. They can find other means to collect this data. I'm not writing down when I leave for work everyday.

Says they only send people out 21% of the time.. I don't get home until almost 7 every night. Would the government do things off business hours?

If they send another one and I decide to fill it out, I'm not answering all of the questions. Definitely not giving out my cell number, and my work hours always change.
    Well, it's up to you. I look at it like a civic responsibility like voting, which really takes a little more time than just going into the booth and pushing a few buttons, i.e., taking the time to learn the issues and candidates.

To answer your question, yes, they will send someone out in the evening. I used to work until 8 pm. If they only send people out 21% of the time, it's probably because they got the info by mail or phone.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."