SKYRIM

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
.....best game ever made?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    If this upcoming patch fixes a lot of these bugs then it could be. As it stands it is great, but also maddening. I had to abandon a game I had going for 3 weeks on account of bugged up quests and questlines.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'll make up my mind when I'm finished with it. I'm only around 100 hours in, so this may take a while.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I approve this thread's spirit, although I don't think it is.

Although my favorite game on the go right now is still Forza 4.
  • Sawyer wrote:

Couldn't get into it but i guess it's not my cup of tea! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Sawyer wrote:

That's my problem... it's just not my type of game. Although I have already noticed a serious decline in sightings of my friends due to this game, so the developers did something right for fans of the game's genre.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Well, I'm not really into the genre as a whole, or really anything having to do with dragons, wizards, or any of that shit, but the Elder Scrolls games for some reason are really fun to me. Although not so much Morrowind. It took a few years before I actually made up my mind to play it all the way through, prior to that I just screwed around with it, flew over cities and picked off people with my bow. Oblivion was great though, much more cinematic, and so is Skyrim. So I don't think you really have to be into RPGs or dragons and shit. I've only played a couple of RPGs and fantasy isn't really my thing either, I couldn't wait for the Lord Of The Rings to finally be over. Oblivion and Skyrim are just crazy fun to me for some reason.
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

That's my problem... it's just not my type of game. Although I have already noticed a serious decline in sightings of my friends due to this game, so the developers did something right for fans of the game's genre.

Yeah i also thought the console graphics were not very great, i played it on a friends ps3, i know pc looks so much better but i thought the ps3 version would look better than it did, :?
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The general consensus is that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game ever (although I have to admit I have yet to play it).

My top five are:

Super Mario World
    Goldeneye
    Civ 4
    Final Fantasy 2
    Oblivion: Elder Scrolls 4

I'm about 100 hours in and I think Skyrim may crack the top five when all is said and done (at least the top ten).
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I think it is a solid #1 for Consoles.

I agree with Civilization 4 though. That is my favorite game ever, but I understand how a large number of people cant/dont want to get into it.

For me, a rough top 5
    Civilization IV
    Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    ToeJam and Earl
    Battletoads (NES)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Jason P wrote:
    The general consensus is that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game ever (although I have to admit I have yet to play it).

bingo and GET CRACKING! :)

skyrim probably makes my top 5. although i think i enjoyed fallout 3 more only because that was my first REAL RPG that i got heavily involved with and that left such an impression on me that will be tough for any game to match.

super mario galaxy deserves some consideration.

nintendo is funny these days. 95% of their games are pure crap, but the other 5% you can easily nominate as best game of all time. when ninteno hits a homerun with a game, they hit it out of the fucking park.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    speaking of nintendo, thinking back to the last three nintendo systems i owned:

N64 - bought for the sole purpose of ocarina of time
    Wii - bought for the sole purpose of mario galaxy
    3DS - bought for the sole purpose of mario kart 7 and to revist ocarina of time

nintendo is the MASTER at baiting and hooking you into buying their systems just because of one bad ass game :lol:
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,027
    We have a giant Skyrim statue in the office at the moment...he's a bit intense...

img00432201202031012.jpg
    Nature drunk and High
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    Consensus among whom? Lies I tell ye, lies!

final-fantasy-vii-screenshot-005.png

Check mate!
  • IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    Not sure if I would call it the best game ever but it is bloody good. I'm normally a PC gamer but I decided to get this on the PS3 for a change and I'm loving it so far. Not sure if my wife is too happy about me taking over the tv every night though. I'd also played Oblivion but never got into it as much as Skyrim.

I've been gaming since the very first Atari pong consoles came out and there have been many games that have I played but my favourites and ones to which I have devoted the most time are probably:

Baldurs Gate 2 (PC)- Probably the best and most replayed game of all. Part 1 and the expansions were also excellent.

Civ IV (PC) as already mentioned by others, fantastic turn based strategy. I still go back to it whenever I need a break from other games.

Doomdark's revenge (ZX Spectrum 48K)- A fantasy strategy game and one of the first that I poured hours at a time into.

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Sega Megadrive) Another RPG game that made me into a hermit for weeks on end.
  • I'm over 30 hours in so I still have a ton to go, but it's the most I've ever played an Elder Scrolls game and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I do find it funny how Bethesda games get a free pass for all their bugs and glitches just because of the scale of the game.

However if you enjoy large RPGs and are always frustrated at how the combat usually sucks, you should check out Kingdoms of Amalur that comes out Tuesday. Actually could be a Skyrim-killer if people give it a chance. It's like the best elements of Fable, Dragon Age, and Skyrim all in one. I'd post a link to the trailer but I'm at work and can't access it.
    That Kindoms of Amular game looks cool. I like how MacFarlane did a lot of the artwork. Its going to be very tough top top Skyrim though. From the scope of the game to the realism of the surroundings.

Its also tough to stack RPGs. After Im done with Skyrim, Ill probably be either winding down from Winter Video games, or Ill be playing lighter games like sports games or some XBox arcade games.

I remember I tried oblivion right after I was done with Fallout 3 and I wasnt feeling it.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    That Kindoms of Amular game looks cool. I like how MacFarlane did a lot of the artwork. Its going to be very tough top top Skyrim though. From the scope of the game to the realism of the surroundings.

Its also tough to stack RPGs. After Im done with Skyrim, Ill probably be either winding down from Winter Video games, or Ill be playing lighter games like sports games or some XBox arcade games.

I remember I tried oblivion right after I was done with Fallout 3 and I wasnt feeling it.
    Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't even on my radar. Turns out Curt Schilling of all people owns the studio that developed it. :shock:

I guess there is a little controversy because there is a code required to unlock single player missions. Since the game isn't online, this is EA's way of getting money on used game sales. EA has justified it's "Online Pass" because of server maintenance. This proves that greed has been the motivation from the get-go.

I don't know if kids have more money now, but I remember having a network of friends to trade NES games around.
    Spags wrote:
    We have a giant Skyrim statue in the office at the moment...he's a bit intense...

img00432201202031012.jpg
    I take it you don't work at an insurance agency. :)
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'm over 30 hours in so I still have a ton to go.

I'm over 200 hours and have barely touched the main story line(s) Just working on building up my character. I encounter a lot of crashes and lag, kind of takes away from the fun. But I've been an Elder Scrolls fan since Morrowind, that was my favorite game for years, even after Oblivion came out I was still playing it. I only played Oblivion a little bit, haven't even done the main story for that yet either.

Elder Scrolls is pretty much the only RPG games I play.
  • Jason P wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't even on my radar. Turns out Curt Schilling of all people owns the studio that developed it. :shock:

I guess there is a little controversy because there is a code required to unlock single player missions. Since the game isn't online, this is EA's way of getting money on used game sales. EA has justified it's "Online Pass" because of server maintenance. This proves that greed has been the motivation from the get-go.

I don't know if kids have more money now, but I remember having a network of friends to trade NES games around.

It's just day one DLC that has some extra quests to reward those that buy it new. It's bonus stuff and isn't needed to play or complete the game. Here is an excerpt of Schilling's response to it, which is pretty open and honest:

"That being said, this next part is likely to piss people off, but it's a truth and it's how I feel. You can argue the merits and effectiveness of it, but right now it's how it's done and as someone that's as invested as I am in this company, I stand by what has happened.

DAY 1 DLC, to be extremely and VIVIDLY clear, is FREE, 100% totally FREE, to anyone that buys a new copy of Reckoning, ANYONE.

If you don't buy new games you buy them used, and in that case you will have to pay for the Day 1 free DLC content the new copy buyers got for free.

It's clear the intent right? To promote early adopters and MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME, REWARD fans and gamers who commit to us with their time and money when it benefits the company.

Every single person on the planet could wait and not buy Reckoning, the game would hit the bargain bin at some point and you could get it cheaper. 38 Studios would likely go away.

That's just how business works. We MUST make a profit to become what we want to become. THE ONLY way we do that is to make games you CANNOT WAIT TO BUY! If we do that, and you do that, we want to reward you with some cool free stuff as a thank you.

You can TOTALLY disagree with this and I am sure many do, so we'll agree to disagree. This is not 38 trying to take more of your money, or EA in this case, this is us REWARDING people for HELPING US! If you disagree due to methodology, ok, but that is our intent.

I said earlier I did not know, truth is after a day of soul searching I do remember conversations I was on the cusp of but I, ME, never followed up and didn't ever pursue them. But damn, if EA and EAP don't step in and bet on us it would have never mattered and this game would have never been made.

The industry is in a very odd place. The data coming in on used game sales is not saying the things many thought it should, or would. But companies are still trying to figure out how to receive dollars spent on games they make, when they are bought. Is that wrong? if so please tell me how.

Again, you can argue with methods, or process, and you absolutely can bitch and gripe about ANY DAY 1 DLC you are charged for, because I think I agree with many on that, but we are trying to create something here, product and company wise, and it takes dollars to do that.

I said above but I will restate, this falls squarely on me, it is my responsibility as the leader to know of things like this and be aware that it would become an issue, I failed on both accounts. No one else is to blame, but at the same time there is no nefarious attempt to do anything under handed here, you get the content, NO MATTER WHAT PLATFORM you purchase the game for, or what outlet you buy from, FOR FREE."
    sounds fair enough
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    I was gonna post earlier but i took an arrow to the knee :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Finally!! I didn't think that would take off like it did when I heard one of the guards say that, some really funny stuff in this game.

One guy in jail told me not to shiv him. :lol:
    voidofman wrote:

Finally!! I didn't think that would take off like it did when I heard one of the guards say that, some really funny stuff in this game.

I got a little tired of the guards saying, very sarcastically, "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll". Yesterday one guard said that to me, and I went back behind a building where I could not be seen and turned into a werewolf, then hauled ass out there and mauled him to death.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    voidofman wrote:

;):) Actually I have never played this or seen it (just on commercial). I was on youtube and people kept posting that saying on random videos in the comment section. Did some research and found out why. My sister and her husband play it though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    I live far away from my hockey team, the Canucks so I have to watch the games on a live stream that has a chat room as well. The arrow to the knee became a running joke and one of the mods got pissed about it and started giving time outs to anyone that said it, I got timed out and ten minutes later I said, "I was timed out because I took an arrow to the knee." Got timed out again and decided to make a new name, Arrow2ThaKnee. It got banned from the room right away. :lol:
    Andy Richter's voice over work on Skyrim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8nHy6aA6E
    voidofman wrote:
    Andy Richter's voice over work on Skyrim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8nHy6aA6E

That was funny, especially liked the "High Five Troll".

There actually are quite a few actual actors that did voices for the game. Max von Sydow, Lynda (Wonder Woman) Carter, Joan Allen and Christopher Plummer to name a few.

Oblivion had Sean Bean, Sir Patrick Stewart, Terence Stamp, and Lynda Carter again.