One Of My BIGGEST Fears Driving In Florida...

g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Fog, Smoke and ALL the older drivers here....

Interstate 75 Car Crashes: Florida Pileup Kills At Least 10

What a mess especially with all the long straight flat roads here.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
    so sad
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I thought you were going to say hitting an alligator.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    _ wrote:
    I thought it was going to be a Burmese python.

That's a pretty horrible wreck. Is visibility often a problem there? Kind of incredible that so many cars could pile up like that.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • g under p wrote:

Peace

Scary huh? Drivers are terrible here in south Florida! I'm sure you know that though. ;)

I gave up my motorcycle after being here for a month. I almost got killed three times by old folks who could barely see over the dash and didnt turn their heads to look as they turned.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Scary huh? Drivers are terrible here in south Florida! I'm sure you know that though. ;)

I gave up my motorcycle after being here for a month. I almost got killed three times by old folks who could barely see over the dash and didnt turn their heads to look as they turned.
    As a new member of the Southern Florida community, I have never seen such horrendous driving ... EVER...

And I am from New Jersey :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • g under p wrote:

Peace

As a new member of the Southern Florida community, I have never seen such horrendous driving ... EVER...

And I am from New Jersey :lol:

:lol:

haha, and arent you in Miami? I went to visit a friend in Miami once and he told me to always wait a few seconds (if you're first in line) before stepping on the gas when your stoplight goes from red to green, because drivers will continue to go through red lights for a few more seconds than normal. :shock:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    _ wrote:
    I thought it was going to be a Burmese python.

That's a pretty horrible wreck. Is visibility often a problem there? Kind of incredible that so many cars could pile up like that.

it was a combination of fog and smoke from a brush fire they said. the visibility was so bad that the first responders were locating victims by their moans and cries for help. truly horrible story.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    :lol:

haha, and arent you in Miami? I went to visit a friend in Miami once and he told me to always wait a few seconds (if you're first in line) before stepping on the gas when your stoplight goes from red to green, because drivers will continue to go through red lights for a few more seconds than normal. :shock:
    So true!!
    My cab driver from the airport this am... was having engine issues.,.. instead of pulling over to the side... he stopped his car in the fast lane to restart the engine :shock: :wtf:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited November 2012
    especially
    Post edited by rollings on
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My husband and I were talking about this accident this morning and we realized that it would be a good idea for drivers to learn some kind of standard procedure for a moment like that.

Everyone should be taught in driver's ed to pull off the road asap when there's zero visibility so they don't even have to think about what to do. Accidents like this are probably worse because some people get confused and just stop dead in the road and that alone causes more people to crash!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Rollings wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Did that news report say there was fog and older drivers to blame?

All I heard was that there was thick smoke from a brush fire that caused the pileup.

It must be horrible to be driving down the highway when all of a sudden you can't see a thing, what a disaster.

I've seen fog maybe four times down here in the past 15 years. It's such a rare thing. And I've never driven into brush fire smoke that causes instant zero visibility.

Is your fear really founded?

Well the article did say they were trying earlier to closed the highway due to a mixture of fog and a haze of smoke. I live out here in the Wellington/lake Worth area and I've seen fog over 441/A1A maybe 5 times in 5 years, howover when it comes most drivers are very unaware of what to do in fog. We do get many brush fires which are just as dangerous. My fear comes anytime I'm on the road (441) riding my bicycle, any sign of fog I'm NOT RIDING.

BTW....the driving here is bad but when the weather gets bad the erratic driving goes up way up. :o

PEACE
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i live in orlando. i fear the elderly more than the smoke. but yea it gets a little hairy when theres a fire
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,911
    What I heard from an interview with FHP was they had in fact closed that protion of 75 then felt at some point it was clear enough to reopen. Not long after , this happened. Bad scene ALL THE WAY ROUND.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14