musical preference formed at age 14

TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
so what do you think of that? the skinny psychologist* on "criminal minds" realized they were in the wrong suspect's home when they saw his cd collection. that suspect was too young. they were looking for the "piano man" as the psychopath was known. he noted that your musical taste is generally formed when you are aged 14. For my taste, I think he is correct; although I like many styles of rock, not just pj.

I fell in love with Led Zep when I was 14!

*please note he's my favorite!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I got into the Beatles at 13 which started me on a musical journey into all kinds of other music.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Sounds about right to me. PJ came out when I was 14.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    got into PJ at 12. They made me realize what good music was so they are the basis for everything that came later..
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Sounds about right. The Beatles started for me, basically, since I was born. Then Zeppelin happened to me at 12, 13. Then it was finally Pearl Jam that was the missing piece to my music taste and my music world completely.

The guy that said that was Reed, right?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • i'd say its sort of true, but not totally. I like many others, had my first musical experience when i heard grunge. and it certainly set the template for my taste back then and to a certain extent now. But I think its also generally true, that your musical preference is also impacted by college, meeting new people, and those people turning you onto new music. i'd say the college idea is way more accepted than the age 14 idea.

Grunge probably did set my preference as even now my music of choice is indie rock. but i dont think im set in rock music either. i like pop music, and folk, and electronic, hip hop and so on, just as much as rock. My favorite album last year was Bon Iver, and i'd say Bon Iver and grunge couldnt be further apart.
  • TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
    Newch91 wrote:
    Sounds about right. The Beatles started for me, basically, since I was born. Then Zeppelin happened to me at 12, 13. Then it was finally Pearl Jam that was the missing piece to my music taste and my music world completely.

The guy that said that was Reed, right?

I'm not sure if his name is Reed, but that sounds right. I love that show. Did you see it when he had to watch the actress? They were falling for each other, but their relationship was impossible due to living on different coasts.

I began liking "pop" rock music when I was 4, but as I said, fell for LZ at 14. That's when my friend gave me his LZ album, volume 2. But then, I began liking pj when I was old.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think by 14 my general preference in rock music had been cemented, but the specific bands I would love and continue to love had not really been fine tuned. At 14 I think my three favorite bands were Green Day, Offspring, and Nine Inch Nails. The only one of those three I still listen to is NIN. I suspect the show wasn't being that specific though, like which rock bands, but rather the genre. So I could see that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    That seems somewhat accurate - I still do like punk and classical, because I was listening to punk at 14, and also studying ballet. Crazy combo but yeah.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    absolutely spot on in my life too, found the Who when I was 14 and haven't looked back.
  • pearl jam - 11

but they've lost the top spot to the who by 16
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    steppenwolf live when i was 13
    the first album i bought for myself

live to rock
    rock to live
    baby
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I agree 100%. I strictly listened to country music up until age 13. When I was 14 (1995) I discovered alternative rock/grunge and I was instantly hooked. I'd never heard anything like it. I still love the music I listened to back in 9th grade and it definitely still influences my musical tastes today.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    fuck I'm old...there was no PJ when I was 14...I was listening to Metallica and Guns and Roses.
    (ok, there was MLB when I was 14)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    That sounds about right. I listened to all sorts of stuff, but the big hitters for me were Led Zep for me at 15, Beatles since early. Was into the Clash around that time too, so I've always been a rock chick I guess.

Although Christ I feel like a fucking brontosaurus - discovering PJ at 11? :shock: I was a grown ass woman when they came out :lol:
  • GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Mine was at 10 - Buffalo Springfield ( esp Uncle Neil )
    But girls are always ahead of boys, aren't they? :)
  • i dont know, i think to believe that you have to believe that people stop musically exploring at 14. For me, i cant think of anything worse, in terms of worrying about my future, than being a casual music fan. And Ive mentioned this before, but generally, teens are rabid music consumers because they feel things so intensely in adolescence. And i think as people get older, they get married, have kids, have a job, and i think it gets harder to keep up with new music like you did as a teen. certainly many people are exceptions to this, i am 27 myself and am as passionate about music as i was at 14. maybe thats the age 14 idea.

but i also think, music to me and others is about exploration. Im always looking for new music and sounds. and peoples taste and preference evolve over time. how many people do you know who started out liking one genre, then evolved to liking another? alot of people, and i include myself in this, started out liking music that was pop or radio friendly, or commercial, as a kid, or a younger person in large part because we were following our peers,and because we didnt know any of the obscure, experimental or more cutting edge bands existed? if you were a 14 year old in 2012, you may not be a listener of Radiohead or Bon Iver, or Coltrane, or someone like that. one because that stuff isnt played on the radio, and two, your peers most likely are listening to Gaga, and katy perry and Seether and stuff that gets airplay and commercial recognition. Sure there are the cool kids, or maybe they are the outcasts because they like stuff noone else does, but i was alot like my peers in high school. i listened to the commercial rock station, and enjoyed 3 doors down and nickelback, all that, partly because i think i was trying to fit in, it was what all my friends listened to, and i wasnt exposed to people, or ways to check out radiohead, or broken social scene, or godspeed, or the shins.

and i would assume, most people's music taste has changed radically since age 14. At age 14, i listened to grunge exclusively.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I found Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath at 13 and the rest is history.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I don't know exactly how old I was - probably more like 15 or 16 but my friends and I would listen to :

Led Zep,
    Neil Young
    Pink Floyd
    Rush
    Fleetwood Mac
    Metallica and a few others - I grew up on rock music. ( which I still love to this day )

but, over the years my musical taste has expanded - because I'm older I can appreciate classical, country, new age and everything in between.

I just love music and give everything a listen to....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I got into the Killers (My second favorite band) when I was 13 but got into PJ when I was 14. So that is about right then.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I got into the Killers (My second favorite band) when I was 13 but got into PJ when I was 14. So that is about right then.

But you're still listening to Nickelback. :? :P :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    dcfaithful wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

But you're still listening to Nickelback. :? :P :)

:lol: Well they were the first album that I bought with my own money. :)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My musical taste is VERY different from when it was at 14. I've expanded a bunch.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Started getting seriously into music at 15 if I had to pinpoint an age.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Junior year of high school, I got into U2 and that helped me branch out and get used to some club/techno/dance music that they made in the 90s. I don't care for that kind of music that is being released today, but some of U2's experimental stuff in that category was a good door opener for me; their 90s stuff and their experimental album "Passengers" helped me get used to Radiohead's 2000's work.

Freshman or sophomore year of college, I became obsessed with Bob Dylan and he opened the door to folk music to me and singer-songwriters. Helped me further my music exploration and listen to folk music. Listening to Bob Dylan helped me listen to and become a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen.

So I am still exploring, but 14 seems to be where the foundation is laid for you and to continue exploring different kinds of music.

Also, I think one of the main reasons I have become such a huge music fan was the first time I watched "Almost Famous", back in 2005, when I was, coincidentally, 14. I felt a connection with William Miller. Strongly recommend for any music fan who has not seen the movie yet.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • I guess I never got this memo. I'm about the same age as the guys in Pearl Jam, so I was in my mid-20's when they came out. But if you look at my list of favorite bands and the decades when they were most popular, they are scattered through a few decades.

1980's: Bruce Springsteen (although he started in the 70's, I was not really old enough until the 80's) and Bon Jovi.

1990's: Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains

2000's: Avenged Sevenfold

Interestingly, the older I get, the more of a hard edge I like to my music, it seems. I guess I'm not doing it right. :lol:
  • Wow 14 huh? That is perfect for me! When I got introduced to everything I listen to now I was 14.
  • TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
    I definitely think that the psychologist meant your preference for the genre is formed at 14; not that you will only listen to that band the rest of your life. I feel that since I loved Led Zeppelin (just an example) laid the foundation for my liking Pearl Jam when I discovered them later. But then again, I loved the Doors when I was 11 but I loved the Partridge family too, lol...so I like a mixture.
  • I loved Aerosmith when I was 14 and can barely stomach them now. :lol:

End of high school through college, and continuing all the way to today, I've continuously expanded my music. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16