Does anyone here make soap?

covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Just starting out and already quite addicted to my melt and pour organic, no SLS base.

I've bookmarked quite a few websites and have half a composition notebook full of notes along with 3 well-respected books. (at least I think they're well respected!)

I'm still a little nervous about starting this journey.. specifically about using lye.

Any tips, tricks, words of advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I tried it once a few years ago...It all turned out crappy...hand milled it, too. The lye part wasn't bad, though. Just use a big bucket and prepare for it to be hotter than you expect it to be! :D
    be philanthropic
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    yeah i have, it can be pretty fun...haven't made any in like 3 yrs or so. i've never used the kind that needed to add lye to it so no advice for you on that...

this site has some great stuff . http://www.brambleberry.com/Default.aspx under the resources column on the left looks like they have a calculator for how much lye to use

luckily for me (besides their on-line warehouse) they have a lil store here in town where i can go in & just pickup want i need. besides their supplies they offer classes...actually yrs ago i wondered into their store and the owner was so friendly & helpful she showed me how to do it without charging me. now i go there to get my stuff for making candles, essential oils and stuff for making lip balm too
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Here I am making a fresh batch of lavender soap. I also churn my own butter. :lol:

makingsoapfromwood.jpg

Seriously, I think it's great you have the time. I've bought some nice handmade soap on etsy in the past.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about making soap!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    voidofman wrote:
    The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about making soap!

:lol: I also instantly thought about that movie when I read the thread title!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I thought this was going to be a Fight Club thread :mrgreen:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    stargirl69 wrote:

Me too :D

"Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them. "

but seriously..good luck on your soap-making! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • lol-had no idea about the fight club reference! Liposuctioned ass-fat might make a good bar of soap!

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/fight-club-soap-now-real-product-137152

Seriously, tho---read the ingredients on the body wash container you're currently using....

can you even pronounce half of the words on the bottle?
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    stargirl69 wrote:
    If it would have been a Fight Club thread, we couldn't have talked about it...because the first rule of Fight Club is you do NOT talk about Fight Club! :P
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    stargirl69 wrote:
    If it would have been a Fight Club thread, we couldn't have talked about it...because the first rule of Fight Club is you do NOT talk about Fight Club! :P
    You just broke the second rule. :lol: