Favorite song on Backspacer

JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
edited January 2012 in The Porch
Unthought Known..... here......people?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Mine is The End. I wasn't much of a fan at first but it grew on me after hearing a few live versions then when I saw it in Berlin I was blown away by it and Just Breathe back to back. Amongst The Waves is now my least favourite on the album, I find it has the ability to quickly suck the life out a good setlist. It works best on the album.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    I agree with you on Amongst the Waves .....In my opinion .....the song is weak...when it is trying to be epic
    veddertown wrote:
    Mine is The End. I wasn't much of a fan at first but it grew on me after hearing a few live versions then when I saw it in Berlin I was blown away by it and Just Breathe back to back. Amongst The Waves is now my least favourite on the album, I find it has the ability to quickly suck the life out a good setlist. It works best on the album.
  • Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Got Some
  • Options
    CC252CC252 Posts: 61
    Johnny Guitar
    Manchester - Torino - London - Amsterdam - Leeds - Praha
  • Options
    BrainOfMABrainOfMA Posts: 553
    Force of Nature
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    For me Unthought Known is the best PJ song since Black....

....For me Amongst the Waves, the weakest ever PJ single.
  • Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Got Some is way ahead from the rest. 2nd Gonna See My Friend.
    weak spots: force of nature, amongst the waves, speed of sound. johnny guitar not my favorite, either.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,534
    I'm astonished by the disdain for Amongst The Waves, which is my personal favorite off Backspacer,...followed closely by Johnny Guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ive-SPlEzk
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I agree "Amongst The Waves" is really not all that good. Just seems it's trying to be Epic like a Given to Fly, but kind of falls flat.

As for the best song, hard to pick out of The Fixer, The End, Unthought Known, Johnny Guitar & Got Some.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    RehabDoll wrote:
    Force of Nature

This
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Amongst The Waves is now my least favourite on the album, I find it has the ability to quickly suck the life out a good setlist. It works best on the album.

You're totally right....totally takes the wind out of the sails.
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Backspacer sucks....Got Some would be my favourite....but I could happily never hear any of them live again.

Edit: Unthought Known would be my second favourite....I used to like Force of Nature too but it's just boring now. The whole album is boring to me now actually.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Definitely Force of Nature-Unthought Known would be second
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    HamauryHamaury Posts: 189
    Unthought Known!!

It became my fav especially after they opened their show here in Rio, it was amazing~~
    04/12/05 - Rio de Janeiro
    06/11/11 - Rio de Janeiro

"Come Back"
  • Options
    Unthought Known... its so powerful!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Unthought Known for sure.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    An album that means so much to me.....

UNTHOUGHT KNOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    sven82sven82 Posts: 152
    Force Of Nature!!! In my humble opinion the best song since I Am Mine although I really like the Avocado Album. My least favourite would be Speed Of Sound and Supersonic.
    “There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.” <em>Bart Simpson</em>
    "Never eat more than you can carry" <em>Miss Piggy</em>
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" <em>Stephen Roberts</em>
    "Retired? Fuck off, you're revolting. Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like LEATHER MAN, your skin. We could make a fucking suitcase out of you. Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fucking Idi Amin, you know what I mean?" <em>Don Logan</em>
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Amongst the waves
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Force of nature, without any doubt...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Unthought Known

also really, really love Got Some and Force of Nature

Agree with the statement that Amongst the Waves is a setlist killer. Not a fan at all.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I love Unthought Known
    Close second is either Jonny Guitar, Got Some or Amongst the Waves.

But the album pretty much ends for me after Unthought Known. I NEVER listen to the last four songs...the weakest sequence of tunes on any PJ album, by far, in my opinion.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Probably Just Breathe or The End though I still see them as Ed songs, not PJ songs. Could easily fit on Into The Wild.

Interesting that alot of people saying Amongst The Waves trys to be epic but falls flat cos that is exactly what I think about Unthought Known. That and Supersonic are the worst songs for me.

But in general, its a poor album.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    JP33 wrote:
    I agree with you on Amongst the Waves .....In my opinion .....the song is weak...when it is trying to be epic
    veddertown wrote:

I agree, this is the set list for Buenos Aires show:

01. Release
    02. Go
    03. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
    04. Corduroy
    05. Hail Hail
    06. Given To Fly
    07. The Fixer
    08. Amongst The Waves

that song was a drawback, fortunately immortality was next and about 2 and a half hours were ahead...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Nothing has touched me more than the lyrics in The End. My mom was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2009 just before that album was released and the line "it's my fault now I been caught a sickness in my bones" just chills me to my core. I cannot listen to that song without shedding a tear, and I feel like Ed just wrote those lyrics from the perspective of what she was going through, fighting her cancer and fearing for her ever-shortening life.

But the song I listen to the most is Unthought Known, and one of my favorites last year seeing Ed solo!
    September 15, 1998 Mansfield MA/ August 29, 2000 Mansfield, MA/ June 11, 2008 West Palm Beach, FL/ July 2, 2012 Prague, Czech Republic/ July 4, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ July 5, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ September 21, 2012 Pensacola, FL/ July 16, 2013 London, ON, Canada/ July 19, 2013 Chicago, IL/ October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY/ October 25, 2013 Hartford, CT/ November 23, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 24, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 26, 2013 Oakland, CA/ November 29, 2013 Portland, OR/ November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Force Of Nature is my favorite, but I think Just Breathe is the best on the album overall. If you don't already, in time all of us will grow to appreciate this song.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,462
    I really like ATW and actually like all the songs on BS. I wouldn't compare ATW to GTF as much as I would compare it to In Hiding as far as song structure. Its funny how many here don't like BS yet it is PJ's most critically aclaimed recording in years. To each their own of course.
  • Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    mvw wrote:
    Force Of Nature is my favorite, but I think Just Breathe is the best on the album overall. If you don't already, in time all of us will grow to appreciate this song.

the thing with Just Breathe and The End is, as pointed out above, these are more EV's tunes than Pearl Jam. nice songs, however would fit better on EV's solo effort.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Force Of Nature
  • Options
    It has to be got some. Love it live too
    5/21/10 M.S.G
    5/18/10 Newark
    9/27/09 Philly Spectrum