Insensitive Boss...Urgh

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I need to rant a little about work, so please excuse me. I am a grad assistant, I love my job, and I am damn good at it. I have a lot of responsibility for a GA. I work the entire time I am there, unlike many other GA positions where they get to focus on school work while they are "on the clock." I loved my boss last semester, she was understanding and kind. However, she had to switch jobs due unavoidable personal circumstances. My old boss always bragged on me and told me how great I was doing. Now, it is a new semester and a new boss. I do think that my new boss is nice, but she is completely insensitive. Last week my husband had a very serious work injury. I got the call while I was at, but since he down played the injury to me and he had a coworker with him at the ER, I finished my work day. The past week has been awful. I have had to take my husband from Dr.'s appointment to Dr.'s appointment squeezing work, my classes, and caring for our son in between the chaos. I have showed up for work each day this week, only being an hour late one day (because I had to drive my husband to the doctor), but I stayed an hour late to make up the time. I guess that I caught the cold from hell in the ER or one of the Dr.'s office. My boss knows the personal chaos that is going on and the fact that I am very sick. So, what does she do? Call me and essentially tell me that I am working on Friday. Mind you, I have completed all my hours for this week and will not be paid any extra for the extra hours I have worked . Anyway, the reason I am working is complete bullshit and I am about to go postal (not really, but I am about to stand up for myself). I have a very heavy course load this semester and I have to take Praxis II and the PLT. I also need to apply for teaching positions in the fall. Anyway, if anyone has any diplomatic suggestions on how to deal with people who apparently have trouble understanding basic human courtesy,let me know. It really bugs me b/c I do think about others and I am understanding. It blows my mind how some people can be so insensitive. I cannot blow up on her b/c I need the job and I would like to eventually work at the university so I do not need to burn any bridges, but this is beyond stressful.
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    The problem with OT is that mgmt will take advantage of it once they know you are willing to do it. There are companies that compensate for the extra work but the majority just suck the blood outta ya. The best way for this is set an apt with your boss face to face. Lay it out all on the line and tell her you can not do OT at this time due to the various issues you have mentioned at home. Inform her that when things settle down in your life you would be more than willing to be a team player and help out when needed. Just right now its not a good time. If she is a good boss she will appreciate the update and accept your position. It should be no problem to look for other people to cover for you on Friday, or any day going forward. The best thing is to be open.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Thank you that is helpful advice. I forgot to mention that I do not work on Fridays. Also, my position is suppose to be salaried based on me working about 20 hours each weak. I do not mind working 22 hours or so if that is what is needed to complete my job and get the task at hand finished. However, she has essentially told me that I will not get paid overtime, but I will be docked if I fall under 20 hours each week. Sounds a little screwy to me. Anyway, thanks for listening. It is just helpful to vent sometimes. I do think that I am going to have to have a face to face talk her. I do work hard when I am at work (and I often work at home in order to finish task), but when it comes down to it, I am just a GA. GA positions are generally designed to provide students with a job while allowing them to still put their studies first. I think that expecting me to work OT is out of line, especially knowing everything that is going on right now. I guess I am repeating myself, but I would not even think twice about working a couple of extra hours if I wasn't going to be docked if I fall under 20 hours.
    fade away...

• NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    see that is what i find f'ked up, she is going to dock you if you miss a couple hours and not pay you OT or time in leu. My opinion, if after you have your chat with her and nothing is resolved, then work your core hours and nothing more. She is not willing to help you in time of need why should you bend over backwards for her.

i wish you luck on your chat and hope things work out for you and you family in the end. remember, when you finish school there will be plenty of opportunities out there for ya.

Cheer up CBG!
    Nam
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Thanks guys for letting me b^tch and moan. All went well today and she did thank me for coming in. I am going to rest up now in hopes of feeling like catching up on homework and I will store this little day away for when I need leverage. ;)
    fade away...