Options

Olympic Platinum

iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,541
edited January 2012 in The Porch
Not a fan of this song personally. Agree or disagree? All opinions welcome.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What an awful song. Agree?

Well, first off it's "Olympic Platinum" & second, It's meant as a joke...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    who doesn't want to sing like Whitney??? :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    agree. one of the worst pj tunes ever and a total waste of a valuable vinyl side on xmas single.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    Bigda wrote:
    agree. one of the worst pj tunes ever and a total waste of a valuable vinyl side on xmas single.

This and Santa God are both quite aweful, but at least Santa God is a Xmas song at least. Not sure why they'd make Olympic Platinum the "A" side of any single, joke or not.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    You guys are joking right? Olympic Platinum was released at a time when Pearl Jam seemed to have little to no sense of humor... I love it when they do the occassional light hearted thing. And Santa God is pretty great too... great idea, with the lyrics portraying what it was like to be a little kid, being good for one month just so the Santa God would come and bring toys. I like both of those Xmas songs! Lighten up. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    Oh come on.

If you're listening to this song thinking they're trying to be as poignant and profound as something like "Present Tense" or "Given to Fly," joke's on you. This is clearly Pearl Jam kicking back and having a laugh...it's fun, and funny, and why not? Different songs serve different functions. It's like when people bitch about "Pry, To"...what, you can't be bothered to sit through a few seconds of a strange segue that only deepens the album journey a little bit? Not all songs are meant to be created equal. Have some fun, lighten up. I enjoy "Olympic Platinum." For what it is.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    jwagner wrote:
    Oh come on.

If you're listening to this song thinking they're trying to be as poignant and profound as something like "Present Tense" or "Given to Fly," joke's on you. This is clearly Pearl Jam kicking back and having a laugh...it's fun, and funny, and why not? Different songs serve different functions. It's like when people bitch about "Pry, To"...what, you can't be bothered to sit through a few seconds of a strange segue that only deepens the album journey a little bit? Not all songs are meant to be created equal. Have some fun, lighten up. I enjoy "Olympic Platinum." For what it is.

I am relaxed and enjoy plenty of "fun" songs including Sweet Lew. I think you're "For what it is" indicates you may not find Olympic Platinum all that great either. I don't think every song the band creates is great like some people, and am just expressing my feelings on one that I dislike. Excuse me. Its just my opinion, that is all. Its just fine if you like it.
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    jwagner wrote:
    Oh come on.

I am relaxed and enjoy plenty of "fun" songs including Sweet Lew. I think you're "For what it is" indicates you may not find Olympic Platinum all that great either. I don't think every song the band creates is great like some people, and am just expressing my feelings on one that I dislike. Excuse me. Its just my opinion, that is all. Its just fine if you like it.

Respect. I guess it's hard to decipher your exact tone in a forum, you know? And it's funny because after I wrote this I was like "but I don't like 'Sweet Lew' near as much as 'Olympic Platinum'"... so not even the joke-songs are equal. Just a matter of opinion. And I totally respect yours!
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Blame Nick Didia if you dont like it.

Nice tune. Shows the band stepping out of their 'everything is serious bidness' phase at the time.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    jwagner wrote:
    Oh come on.

I remember when Vitalogy first came out and everyone thought if you play "Pry, To" backwards, You heard "Oh Pete Townshend, You saved my life"
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    This song wasn't very funny" when I got my xmas single in '96.

If EV farted into a microphone and Brendan O'Brien recorded, mixed and mastered it, there are people on this Board that would like it.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    surforia wrote:

If EV farted into a microphone and Brendan O'Brien recorded, mixed and mastered it, there are people on this Board that would like it.

I don't have this on vinyl but I do have the boot of it. It's quite good...
  • Options
    surforia wrote:

Ya & Ramblings 1, 2 & 3 are masterpieces...
    Lighten up!!

And Ed already released 2 albums like that. They're called "Ukelele Songs" & "Molo Sessions".
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    DS1119 wrote:
    surforia wrote:

I don't have this on vinyl but I do have the boot of it. It's quite good...

Okay...thats damn funny :lol::lol::lol: Gotta get some of that on my finger ;)
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    i LOVE this song! thought about holding up a sign for it. when this came out ed had just had the grammy thing , so it looked like he had no sense of humor. bugs? i think it's great for all of the sarcasm & just funny words set to a nice little piano & subtle beat from irons & STONES BACKING VOCALS!" sing like whitney" is the funniest thing i'd heard. i remember laughing my ass off upon first lislten. the song is , indeed a joke, therefore, it's a cheeky little tune. there's not much i dislike. i respect mostly everything they've done, but this came on the heels of no code as well. people didn't know what to expect-literally. no code was a hodgepodge (a great album, no doubt) of different influences & a "quieter" mellower,(even though it had edge) record. olympic platinum could've been recorded during those sessions. it was meant to be an inside joke tho 10c members, since it was released right around when the internet really took off.

i made a no code 96-97 mix of b-sides that i put the song on. it fits in perfectly. can you make folders on ipads? i need to take the leap because travel & cars.........point- i love the song & here's the tracklist in case anybody wants to make the mix. i even got cool artwork.
    96-97: jack irons sessions:
    1.All Night
    2.Don't Gimme No Lip
    3.Black,Red,Yellow
    4.Dead Man
    5.Sunburn
    6.Leaving Here
    7.Olympic Platinum
    8.Gremmie Out Of Control
    9.Happy When I'm Crying
    10.Leatherman
    11.U
    12.The Whale Song
    13.Smile (live)
    it's an excellent mix, i think. i've got all my b-sides arrange, except x-mas singles. want to do something different with that. i try to put my non-related x-mas singles onto different mixes. driftin & strangest tribe went to binaural 2. angel went to my 92-94 dave a mix. anyway, love the song. as you can see, it's the centerpiece of my jack b-sides mix.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    I agree the lyrics are kind of fun, but musically ugh - just hard to listen to I think.