Options

thoughts?

edited January 2012 in Lost Dogs
is part of the fun of having PJ on vinyl their perceived value? Or do we all REALLY feel like the wax sounds better....I am a skeptic......I find it amusing how badly so many people are 'looking' for these on this forum when they are so easy to get...the Benny I get, but the rest are easily obtainable....

Discuss......

P.S. The bootleg SOLDIER FIELDS and other various vinyl boots aren't worth the cardboard they are shoved into, so lets leave those out of this............
"No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    I'm only 30 but I grew up on vinyl. My parents had a massive vinyl collection...Which is now my massive vinyl collection.
    I feel like vinyls are to mp3's...as hardbound novels are to e-readers. Both work, but one feels "more real".
    If that makes sense.
    As just a file, the music hits your ears alone. The vinyl, hits my ears, nose, eyes, and fingers all together...I just need a record sandwich...mmmmmmmm :D
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,390
    edited January 2012
    I love vinyl & have some amazing memories of spinning records with my grandfather & dad.

Plus, they just sound better. ;)
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Anyone who knows music will tell you that vinyl sounds better.
  • Options
    Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    Me, the $$$ value means balls. I like the way they smell when I open them, the fact that they are large,always made me feel they were superior, when I was a kid I really liked placing things on a record player and watching it spin...I have all the PJ music a man can dream of on 1 single hard drive, and ill play that alot. But the vinyl spinning gives me that much more involvement in my own enjoyment, if that makes any sense. :? I've got Shit on vinyl thats damn near impossible to find in the digital world. Also, when the end of the work comes, my crank phonograph will be spinning lost dogs while everyone else's ipods are paperweights... ;)
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    I'm with you on that...I remember walking into a record shop and all they had were records...God I'm old
  • Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    when i started buying my PJ on vinyls, which is since vitalogy or vs. (hadnt had a chance before) it was just natural - the records were waiting in record stores to be picked up, unwrapped and spinned. buying pj vinyls today is like a batlle, same us trying to get a poster at the show.. you got to be fast, armed and dangerous or fucking rich to be able to buy it on eBay if you want your collection complete. this is just insane.
    and when i see Vitalogy sold for $300 on eBay i am getting dizzy. this is mad and getting even more insane with every realease.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,191
    Physical media heightens the listening - music you can touch/hold - along with a nice glass of Woodford Reserve on ice.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    I dont know if anyone watched Barrett Jackson this weekend (car auction) but they had a few very old cars with record players in them! One thing that I had never heard was it was a special speed of record and player for cars, and you had to buy the record from the car company. It was slower than usual and not intended to listen to while driving, picnic type thing, most of the cars were around the 1930's
  • Options
    DAMON wrote:
    I dont know if anyone watched Barrett Jackson this weekend (car auction) but they had a few very old cars with record players in them! One thing that I had never heard was it was a special speed of record and player for cars, and you had to buy the record from the car company. It was slower than usual and not intended to listen to while driving, picnic type thing, most of the cars were around the 1930's
    havent heard of that! sounds great.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    as far as i could see, the problem started with cds, it took the whole event of listening to music out of it, with records and tapes you had to actually pay attention to what you were listening to. yes you could loop those but chances are you sat down and wanted to hear the a or b-side.

you used to go to the local record shop and wait for the new release on tuesday or know the name of your favourite record vendor, at one point i had the guy call me when records he thought id like would come in. i-tunes never calls.

regardless of how they try to make them "iTunes lps" with added artwork and all that jazz, the reality of it is that i actually listen to my digitized collection far less than i do my records and i don't listen to those records often. there is no romance in flipping through iTunes, no actual connection to the music. if i play a 3 minute side of a record chances are ill sit down and think about it. if i put on a cd or iPod chances are it will become background music before 3 minutes. thats just how i see it.

to touch on the rest of the topic, i like the way vinyl sounds, i like the pops and crackles and the fact that it sounds way more real, like its actually happening. what i don't like is when my kids put their matchbox cars on the spinning records. =)
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,789
    On ice?
    Physical media heightens the listening - music you can touch/hold - along with a nice glass of Woodford Reserve on ice.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    DuncsDuncs Posts: 423
    Anyone who knows music will tell you that vinyl sounds better.

I do agree with this however only in the case that the system behind it will support. I've heard some bad systems before.
  • Options
    P.S. The bootleg SOLDIER FIELDS and other various vinyl boots aren't worth the cardboard they are shoved into, so lets leave those out of this............

i think the soldier field is badass. or are you referring to the bootleg reissues?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I'll admit that part of the reason I've tracked down all the PJ studio albums is collectibility. I enjoy listening to them, but there are examples that I don't think sound particularly better than their cd counterparts. There's certain stuff that does kinda pop with PJ vinyl, but there's also instances where it sounds worse b/c the inherent qualities of vinyl.

I think with the moodier/mellow or the more layered stuff you get a slightly more 3 dimensional sound with enhanced instrument separation. I think that's why albums like Binaural and No Code get really rave reviews around here. The exception to me is Backspacer's more crowded tunes, where alot of the different part just seemed smooshed together.

No Code-Riot Act are my favorite PJ records strictly soundwise. Lost Dogs has several really good moments too. To put it simply, if I ever had to thin the herd down to my very best sounding vinyl these would probably be the PJ survivors.
  • Options
    The sound difference is amazing, which is pretty indisptable otherwise we wouldn't bother playing them, because CDs are a lot easier.

My sister listens to a majority of her music as MP3s which takes the quality down even further than a CD and it makes me wonder 2 things

1) does she have a slight hearing problem, I understand it is easier but when you can I want some real music.
    or
    2) if she listened to her fav bands on a good quality vinyl would she be so blown away that she would love the music on a whole new level.

Of course the quality of records, particularly older ones does vary greatly but short of live music it is far and away the best way to listen as far as I'm concerned
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    like the way they smell when I open them

Haha, I still sniff cd covers too! :oops:

The whole collection thing for value is odd... when i was a kid i bought vinyl to play. CD's came along and i followed the heard. Still buy vinyl but not as frequently. It is weird to see people posting pictures of their collection with sealed sitting next to opened... not sure i see the point.

Worst part is, i find myself tempted to do similar now. I recently bought the Floyd reissues, the recent PJ stuff and some others that lie sealed. This is partly because i am waiting to hook up a turntable (have a Pro-Ject but need an amp and a room to put it in) but also partly because of the perceived kudos of sealed. There again, it is all worth nothing as I won't sell. Am sure the shrink wrap will come off but it is a thought when opening...

Really don't get the multiple copy thing though!
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    edited January 2012
    Its about owning PJ on the best medium possible. Vinyl is a bit like PJ, its been around a while, it is enduring in its popularity, it sounds amazing and when it comes down to the wire it is the best.

I have a very small vinyl collection and I have had PJ on all formats, I hope one day to have all PJ on vinyl too, oneday :lol::D
    Post edited by Mikee J on
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    as for the sound differences vinyl vs. CD: i was just thinking, bands record digitally (most of them) so now it is more like digitalized sound transfered onto vinyl, right? so all the cracks and bumps are just like a "analog looking" disguise to syntheticness of digital sound. or am i wrong? or is it the needle scratching it that makes it so special and takes away that 0011010110001111 feeling?

not too much of an audiophile myself, so would just like to understand it. anyone knows a thing or two about it?
  • Options
    timbo1972 wrote:

Really don't get the multiple copy thing though!

i sort of do:) it is like when i buy a pair of jeans i love or a sweatshirt that feels so great to wear and all, or a pair of the most comfortable shoes in the world (making up examples:) - i always think to myself: if i had enough money i would buy them in fives or tens to just have them for later when they wear out:)

but it is just mental i guess. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Artwork. Sound is important too, but I just like to flip thru the artwork while I listen. The value means nothing to me.

My ISO thread was for No Code - still looking. I want No Code, because it's my favorite PJ album and it has the best artwork. Is it easy to get, yeah but not at my price. I'm not going to line some dudes pocket with a shitload of cash for the thing.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

i think the soldier field is badass. or are you referring to the bootleg reissues?

yeah, I said the bootleg SF's...the green marbled one is sexy....no doubt about it!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    why...cause i got it and you don't

that's why.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704

I think that Melbourne Boot Vinyl sounds good as well
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,126
    There is no comparison. As others have said the entire vinyl experience is better. 1. Physically going to the record store to buy it and actually interacting with another person. 2. Getting it home and opening it(ahh the smell!). 3. Dropping that needle down! 4. Looking through all the artwork. 5. Listening to all of side A and then getting up to flip it to side B. Obviously this process can very but you get the idea. I LOVE this experience.

Ok, now the sound. It is so much better in a lot of ways. The highs and lows are much more clear on vinyl creating a "warmer" sound. Also, it sounds much more "true" to the original...ahhhh fuck :evil: I don't know how to explain it typing on the internet. Just listen to an MP3 and then play the same thing on vinyl and you'll hopefully get it!

I will say I don't really give a shit about the "value." I just wanna spin the shit out of all my records.
  • Options
    Just wondering?
    Is there a difference between the original pressing and the Albums that you can
    buy in the store today?